Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey cruzer's, this is my first how to so bare with me. This is how I replaced my pressed on shift knob in my 12 eco with a razo 340g shift knob and love it. Any questions don't hesitate to ask! Here goes,

materials/tools needed:
-new shift knob
-drill
-29/64" drill bit
-15/32" drill bit
-hammer (dead blow works best)
-phillips screw driver(this knob's insert screws in)
-rag (for grip on old knob and for placing over new when hammering)
-patients

Step 1. Think to self "Do I really want to do this? Yes. Yes I do."

Step 2. Break old shift knob free

to

Step 3. Take new knob and find the largest(or second largest if largest is too big) insert. the insert will need to be drilled(best to test on smaller one then use larger for finished, smaller for practice lol) drill it out to 29/64" Best to hold bit next to it and tape so you don't drill out bottom. (See pic)

Step 4. Hold 15/32" drill bit up to insert and measure about 1/3-1/2 the length and tape. Do not drill more than the 1/2. Then install screw in bottom of fitting.

Step 5. Wrap spring in electrical tape. I cut mine shorter as well as the piece on top in about half. It doesn't have to be done I just did to lower knob and how much it had to be pulled up for reverse lockout.

Step 6. Place ball on shaft and line up. Then tap down knob until satisfied(keep checking reverse lockout while doing this step as now to go too far and have to fight to go into reverse).

Step 7. Enjoy!

This also works for other shift knobs. I have found if you can find an universal knob with the plastic inserts you can make it work on the press on's. The reverse lockout can be tricky tho, my spring just rests on the bottom of my knob and doesn't move. I love my new knob and hope others can get one they like. Im sure people out there probably already knew this but wanted to post for those who don't/didn't. I hope it helps!

Any questions ask. Let me know if I missed something and hope I posted in right place. Thanks for looking and cruze on...

·
10,711 Posts
How hard was the shift boot to do and did you do this after the knob was removed? Did you re staple the new material to the plastic chrome ring?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boot wasn't bad at all. It's actually have sewn by my wife and helped picked out by my son lol. The boot can be done either way. For removal all you have to do is pull the chrome ring up and reveal a zip tie on the shifter itself. Cut the tie ( and if you left the knob on you will have to cut some of the stitching to get it over knob, If you removed knob you won't have to) and remove the old boot. Then you remove the staples (I used pliers you will want to save these). Get your new boot ready and install on chrome ring(make sure to keep checking hight) and take the staples and re install in the old holes and through the inside plastic ring. I used small clamps on either side for support and to hold it together. Make sure not to crack the chrome trim(I do...). Once stapled temp install it after loosely zip tieing it to the shifter then shift through all gears to make sure there is enough slack then pull tie tight and re install trim and your done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for you how to, my only question would be What do you insert into the shift knob after you drill it? So that it can be pressed on

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,644 Posts
Found this in another thread and thought it would be good to cross post it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts