Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having issues where the brake light will remain on intermittently after pressing and releasing the brake pedal. Once the car warms up it will start doing it more and will happen every time I press and release the brake pedal.when this happens, to make the brake lights turn off I have to put my foot underneath the brake pedal and give it a little nudge upwards. It won't happen much for some reason when I first start driving when the car is cold.

How do I change the brake pedal switch?

I have the 2010 1.8 LT manual, petrol Cruze (UK).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
First, it's not a switch, it's a position sensor. Secondly, it's not the problem. The problem is your brake pedal is not returning to a consistent position. That's what you have to fix.

See this thread: 2013 Cruze brake lights staying on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First, it's not a switch, it's a position sensor. Secondly, it's not the problem. The problem is your brake pedal is not returning to a consistent position. That's what you have to fix.

See this thread: 2013 Cruze brake lights staying on.
Thanks for the info ChevyGuy, I'll check that thread.

I've been to about 4 garages now and they've checked the car and pointed towards an electrical fault (pedal sensor/switch).

Do you think it'll just need an adjustnent to the brake pedal or would it be a bigger job like the brake master cylinder replacement?

EDIT: I've just read the thread that you linked and I don't have the same problem. When my lights were stuck on I switched off the engine to see if they would stay on or turn off, but after switching off the engine the brake lights went off.

Next tme I go to the garage I'll ask them to check the brake linkage, as it could be this (mentioned in the other thread).

Btw, what's a brake linkage and where will it be?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Btw, what's a brake linkage and where will it be?
I assume it's all the stuff around the brake pedal and how it connects to the master cylinder.

Your car may be programmed differently so that the brake lights turn off with the car. If the pedal doesn't go back to the same position every time, that's going to confuse the computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it's all the stuff around the brake pedal and how it connects to the master cylinder.

Your car may be programmed differently so that the brake lights turn off with the car. If the pedal doesn't go back to the same position every time, that's going to confuse the computer.
Thanks, It's quite odd. If I keep the brake pedal pressed and switch off the car the brake lights will stay on.

If I turn off the car when the brake lights are stuck on (not pressing on pedal) then the brake lights turn off. Seems like the pedal is at fault.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If I turn off the car when the brake lights are stuck on (not pressing on pedal) then the brake lights turn off. Seems like the pedal is at fault.
It may behave differently if the pedal is only slightly pressed. It may be part of recalibrating.

But if you have a pedal that does not return to the exact same position every time, it's going to confuse the computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may behave differently if the pedal is only slightly pressed. It may be part of recalibrating.

But if you have a pedal that does not return to the exact same position every time, it's going to confuse the computer.
I've just had the brake pedal sensor replaced and it's still doing it, so it's definitely the pedal, which could be due to the booster or cylinder. Today it started making a scraping sound when driving.

Not having much luck with this car, I'm going to try to return it. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts