Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
How many miles between failures?
I wish I knew that, I am not sure if I can find out. The car has 85K on it and I have owned it since 68K. I don't know the date on the first code.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
How about the valve going to the turbo? Something should be causing the cam cover disc to bust. ...
That check valve is at the turbo inlet. The pressure regulator disk in the valve cover fails due to fatigue. It's just a rubber part that eventually gets brittle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, and have been having quite a lot of issues with the cam cover needing to be replaced. Purchased the car at 25K Miles.

1st cam cover replacement - 28K Miles - covered by warranty
2nd cam cover replacement - 35K Miles - covered by warranty
3rd Cam cover replacement - 57K Miles - covered by warranty

currently at 77K miles. Needs another cam cover. Warranty is no longer covering the charges.

I dont mind doing the work and replacing it my self... but I want to do it right and not have this issue again.

Any recommendations?

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, and have been having quite a lot of issues with the cam cover needing to be replaced. Purchased the car at 25K Miles.

currently at 77K miles. Needs another cam cover. Warranty is no longer covering the charges.

I dont mind doing the work and replacing it my self... but I want to do it right and not have this issue again.

Any recommendations?
Do you still have your check valve in your intake manifold?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/192442-2011-2016-cruze-1-4-pcv-valve-cover-intake-manifold-issues.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
the intake manifold was definitely needing a replacement according to your excellent write up. The check valve was no longer there.

I replaced the intake manifold and cam cover last night. Car is running better than it has it a long time. Having a new throttle body that came along with the intake manifold is also made big difference since my old one was really sticky which made it my manual car alot more jerky than normal.

Fingers crossed for this holding up.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
the intake manifold was definitely needing a replacement according to your excellent write up. The check valve was no longer there.

I replaced the intake manifold and cam cover last night. Car is running better than it has it a long time. Having a new throttle body that came along with the intake manifold is also made big difference since my old one was really sticky which made it my manual car alot more jerky than normal.

Fingers crossed for this holding up.
Another option, which costs about half as much, is to install my PCV fix kit, which addresses the missing check valve with a permanent solution that isn't guaranteed to fail again. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

Any recommendations?
Why wouldn't this still be covered under warranty? Powertrain warranty on the LUJ/LUW engine is 6 years/100,000 miles. If they're refusing to fix this under warranty, you're being jerked around.

That being said, it seems you're losing your valve a lot faster than I've seen as an average. Not sure what's up with that. I have a 1.4T sonic and I just accomplished this job yesterday. The instructions were fantastic and the job is straightforward, though my cover was stubborn to get off and took some ingenuity. :) This is the 3rd valve cover for this 2012 Sonic and I'm at 109K miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great write up, just finished this up after the PCV valve repair. Used break cleaner and a good light as suggested to double check that the bolt holes were clear, and oh boy that cover did not want to come off, used an old spatula to pry it off slowly. Plus some black RTV as a cheap double tap on the 2 weak points.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Important note: be careful not to get any dirt or oil into the bolt holes. If you do, oil doesn't compress and neither does dirt, and you can easily strip the thread or break the bolt. If you suspect you got any dirt or oil in those holes, blow them out with compressed air. You should be able to screw those bolts in by hand freely until they need to be tightened. If you can't and you start finding a significant amount of resistance, you have debris inside and you need to use a tap to clean out the threads. Just something to be mindful of when you're doing this."

Would you know the tap size so people can have it 'at ready' ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the valve cover and gasket but still waiting on the intake manifold. Getting a lot of oil spray and can’t tell where it is coming from. Any ideas? Only thing I see is some pooling around a few of the front valve cover bolts

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

·
Registered
85 Posts
can somebody show me a picture of where to put the RTV and how much of a bead? this is even with the new valve cover having a gasket?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same question, like at this very moment. The sun has already gone down but gotta have the car by tomorrow and I've gone to extreme measures to keep tree debris "at bay". ?

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I didn't use sealant on mine when I put it back. I used some sandpaper to very carefully smooth the transition between cylinder head and timing cover so it was perfectly flat. Put the new valve cover on and it never leaked. However, that's not the "GM approved" method.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts