Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How-To: Replace Trunk Switch

Overview:
On some model Cruzes, the trunk switch is not sealed, and corrosion causes the switch to fail permanently. The switch cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Repair requires replacement of the wiring harness.

Tools Required:
- Retainer removal tool, or a standard size flat-head screwdriver
- 9/32" Nut driver or socket
- 10mm deep socket and wrench
- Pliers, preferably needle nose.

Part Required:
Trunk Switch Assembly (Available on Amazon.com)

Procedure:
Open the trunk and remove the plastic retainers underneath the trunk lid. You can get a retainer removal tool, but I simply wedged a screwdriver underneath the slot to lift the lock tab out, then used the same screwdriver to lift the entire retainer.

Remove latch cover. You will have to tug at this but it will come off.

Using the 9/32" nut driver, remove the two screws holding down the trunk handle.

Un-snap the emergency trunk release from the cover.

Cover should now come off easily. Remove and set aside.

Disconnect the green trunk harness wire. The tab to press down to unlock it will be on the green side.

Underneath the chrome bar, there are four 10mm bolts. A 10mm deep socket is the best way to get to these, but using an extension would work fine as well. I forgot to take a picture of these but they will be easy to find. Remove all four. The only thing left holding the chrome bar onto the trunk lid will be two yellow plastic retainers. You can close these with some pliers, which will allow you to pop out the chrome bar.

Once the chrome bar is out, remove the light bulb sockets, and pop the switch out from behind. You may need to press the tabs in to do this. Here's what this will look like:

Next, pull the harness out from the trunk from the outside. The rubber gasket should pop out.

Installation is reverse of removal. Once the new harness is plugged in, you should be able to test its function immediately.

Old vs New switches:

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
How would you know that the trunk switch is bad? And, for those retainers I use plastic trim removal tools. Specifically one like this one (image attached) I ask because I have to open my trunk with the trunk button on my keys, I can't use the unlock button on my keys and then push the button on the chrome bar to open my trunk. Plastic

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
If the trunk switch won't open the trunk its bad.

·
Banned
188 Posts
MY Switch got replaced at tha dealer and it still takes between 2-10 attempts to open the trunk,,,Supposedly they are going to replace a relay that may be bad,,Well see.....Also question, If you have the two shot relay for the remote, does the truck botton also take two taps to open or just one? I tried a 2015 model in the showroom and it opened with only one push..I assume all the new cruzes have the two shot relays installed....

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great write up but are you sure about the part number as my chevy dealer told me the number was 95270497 and was $90
95270497 seems to include the license plate lamp housings as well. It is an unnecessary expense unless you need to replace those too. The part number I posted replaces only the wiring harness and switch.

Is the new unit sealed or do we need to use silicone?
I believe the new one is sealed. It is certainly a redesigned model. You should not have to add any silicone to it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So you mean to tell me the leaking in the old switch was simply through that "square" of black that is now replaced by silicone or whatever? I'm surprised no leaking came in at the sides as well where the two pieces of the switch meet. Anyway, back in December I replaced mine with a "Chinese" switch that looks almost 100 percent like the "official" gm one. Upon installing it I cover the area of it with RTV silicone sealant that sits within the chrome trim and well as the other side that you actually press. Have had nothing but snow storms, precipitation for the last few months and now rain for spring. Car has been high pressure washed at the self serve car wash many times over the last few months. Zero problems with this switch so far. First press works 100 percent. I too this chance since GM proved they themselves didn't know what they were doing and went Chinese. I think I win. $18 free shipping versus that over price crap that failed before is worth it. I mean is a switch . More than $25 for a switch is ludicrous. Thank you Ali express lol.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How-To: Replace Trunk Switch

Overview:
On some model Cruzes, the trunk switch is not sealed, and corrosion causes the switch to fail permanently. The switch cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Repair requires replacement of the wiring harness.

Tools Required:
- Retainer removal tool, or a standard size flat-head screwdriver
- 9/32" Nut driver or socket
- 10mm deep socket and wrench
- Pliers, preferably needle nose.

Part Required:
GM part number: 95093127 (Approximately $40 as of March 2015)

Procedure:
Open the trunk and remove the plastic retainers underneath the trunk lid. You can get a retainer removal tool, but I simply wedged a screwdriver underneath the slot to lift the lock tab out, then used the same screwdriver to lift the entire retainer.

Remove latch cover. You will have to tug at this but it will come off.

Using the 9/32" nut driver, remove the two screws holding down the trunk handle.

Un-snap the emergency trunk release from the cover.

Cover should now come off easily. Remove and set aside.

Disconnect the green trunk harness wire. The tab to press down to unlock it will be on the green side.

Underneath the chrome bar, there are four 10mm bolts. A 10mm deep socket is the best way to get to these, but using an extension would work fine as well. I forgot to take a picture of these but they will be easy to find. Remove all four. The only thing left holding the chrome bar onto the trunk lid will be two yellow plastic retainers. You can close these with some pliers, which will allow you to pop out the chrome bar.

Once the chrome bar is out, remove the light bulb sockets, and pop the switch out from behind. You may need to press the tabs in to do this. Here's what this will look like:

Next, pull the harness out from the trunk from the outside. The rubber gasket should pop out.

Installation is revers of removal. Once the new harness is plugged in, you should be able to test its function immediately.

Old vs New switches:
im so happy you posted this pic of the redesigned switch because I am even more confident my "Chinese" switch that looks exactly the same just with a different color grommet that goes into the trunk hole (the circular part) and no GM logo. Everything else is dead on the same. I placed silicone on the same exact area shown in the pic and then some. For $18 well worth it with zero errors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just got my wiring harness and switch in the mail today (paid less than $40 for it) and replaced it using your pics in about 25 minutes, way less than having the dealer do it. New switch works great, and now I don't have to crawl through the back seat and pull the emergency trunk release to get it open!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will attempt this fix shortly... It's a shame that I already got this fixed on warranty back in 2012 and now it's broken AGAIN! There should be a recall regarding this problem as it is INCONCEIVABLE that not only is there no interior trunk release button on my 2011, but that the switch gets corroded to such a degree that it becomes unusable. A replacement switch is over $100 CDN plus labor.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My problem with my switch is that I could never open the trunk with the car running and in park with the doors unlocked. I have to turn the car off and leave the doors unlocked and the switch on the trunk will open the trunk. It has always done this from day one. I could never open my trunk while the car was running. The doors had to be unlocked but the switch works and opens the trunk with the car off and the doors open. Is this how it is suppose to operate? The owners manual just says the doors open and nothing about having the car running. My brother is handicapped and getting his walker out of the trunk would be a lot easier if I could leave the car running along with dropping my daughter off at high school and the car pool gang getting their book bags out of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
95270497 seems to include the license plate lamp housings as well. It is an unnecessary expense unless you need to replace those too. The part number I posted replaces only the wiring harness and switch.

I believe the new one is sealed. It is certainly a redesigned model. You should not have to add any silicone to it.
I'd still seal the new one with silicone. I have the new design and it has failed.

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
The owners manual just says the doors open and nothing about having the car running. My brother is handicapped and getting his walker out of the trunk would be a lot easier if I could leave the car running along with dropping my daughter off at high school and the car pool gang getting their book bags out of the trunk.
You wouldn't want a thief sneaking up behind you, popping the trunk and making off with the contents, would you? I'll bet this is by design.

·
10,711 Posts
MY Switch got replaced at tha dealer and it still takes between 2-10 attempts to open the trunk,,,Supposedly they are going to replace a relay that may be bad,,Well see.....Also question, If you have the two shot relay for the remote, does the truck botton also take two taps to open or just one? I tried a 2015 model in the showroom and it opened with only one push..I assume all the new cruzes have the two shot relays installed....
March 2014 and up built have the new button and no longer use 2 shot. They have a press and hold for a bit to open button on the keys. The words "Hold" are literally on the fobs now.

·
Read Only
73 Posts
Just tackled this switch replacement myself. Very easy repair but I did run into issues.

I opted to change out the plate light covers with the switch due to one of them having a crack.

The 4 screws that held the bulb housings in place were so rusted that they just stripped and I had to drill them out. It got a little messy and I had to use nuts/washers/bolts in place of the screws afterwards.

Not ideal, but job complete. Looks clean too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.