Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I believe the stem of the threaded rod of GM struts has a spot for a torx wrench. Hold the stem with the Torx or allen wrench while tightening the nut with a box wrench, or a torque wrench with a crow foot.
It has a spot for a T45 bit. Sadly, with the way it sits my size 24 combo wrench can’t get it. Im going to try to tighten it a little more after work today. But other than that there isn’t much I can do as I don’t have a tool to get into it like whatever a crow foot is lol.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
"Install the upper strut mount nut (1), using the CH-49375 - wrench and tighten to 45 Nm (34 lb ft)"

Was tempted to remove the upper bearingson my Cruze because of the problems with the Cavalier, was also some kind of TSB or recall on these things with the Cruze.With the same question, where is the grease.

But never had this problem with mine. With other struts, never required special tools for that not, removed the lower two yoke bolts first, let the strut hand with the spring fully extended, can get my fingers on the strut to hold it while using an impact wrench on top. Would clean the threads and the nut, use low pressure on my impact to get it seated, finish off with a torque wrench.

Yeah, you gotta have a spring compressor, also helps to have a large vise.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Only good thing I can say about Torx, no such thing as English or metric ones, but do come in both sexes, male and female. Males come in two different types, standard and tamper proof, these have a hole drilled in the end of them. Ran across a vehicle that used tamper proof, Carquest sells a set of these. When I was there, also seen sockets for these so-called theft-proof lug nuts.

Torx are tapered so if they are not fully seated, can strip them out. In production used on engines, they use an impact wrench before the engine is installed in a body, can really put a lot of axially force with an impact wrench so you don't strip them out, but can't use these after the engine is installed. Allen or hex heads screws don't have this problem, but need a complete set of these.

Crowfoot comes in both English and metric sizes, sure need these when removing a power steering rack. Don't dare use an open end wrench on tubing fittings, make special wrenches for these as well, both English and metric, the threads are the same for either, but slightly changed the diameter for metric.

Model A Ford came with all the tools you needed to work on it, even a special water pump wrench. What I had to buy was a spring spreader, saw that hanging in my garage, what am I keeping this for? Wonder if its worth anything. Sure needed this for replacing King pins.

Ha, whenever I work on a new vehicle, tell my wife I have to buy another special purpose tool, what, with all the tools you have? Really nasty about this, some engineer must be bored.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,455 Posts
Great how to and it helped me a ton! However, how do people torque down the top nuts? Once they are so tight, it just spins the whole thing. I was able to get them off by breaking them loose while the vehicle was on the ground. But when I put it back together with the torque wrench it spins everything before reaching the required torque. It seems to be where it was before so I figured they would be fine but today on my way to work I hit a decent bump and heard a clunk which worries me. Other than that there is no noise (before there was an annoying rattling which is why I replaced the mounts until I get new shocks and struts.
Did you ever fix this? I am assuming you had a similar issue that Iceman did in post #34.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great how to and it helped me a ton! However, how do people torque down the top nuts? Once they are so tight, it just spins the whole thing. I was able to get them off by breaking them loose while the vehicle was on the ground. But when I put it back together with the torque wrench it spins everything before reaching the required torque. It seems to be where it was before so I figured they would be fine but today on my way to work I hit a decent bump and heard a clunk which worries me. Other than that there is no noise (before there was an annoying rattling which is why I replaced the mounts until I get new shocks and struts.
Did you ever fix this? I am assuming you had a similar issue that Iceman did in post #34.
Someone brought my their bit. I purchased one too and swapped out the stock suspension for Bilstein B4s yesterday. The nut was the same size and you need an Allen wrenche or torx bit I believe for the middle post. This is the socket, it has an opening for the Allen wrench. I didn't have the right size Allen wrench, but the dealership is going to torque the top 4 bolts correctly for me while doing the alignment.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwaben_Strut_Nut_Sockets_18mm_19mm_21mm_22mm_24mm_Kit/

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,455 Posts
Someone brought my their bit. I purchased one too and swapped out the stock suspension for Bilstein B4s yesterday. The nut was the same size and you need an Allen wrenche or torx bit I believe for the middle post. This is the socket, it has an opening for the Allen wrench. I didn't have the right size Allen wrench, but the dealership is going to torque the top 4 bolts correctly for me while doing the alignment.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwaben_Strut_Nut_Sockets_18mm_19mm_21mm_22mm_24mm_Kit/
Cool tool, but I'll stick to the crows feet as I already have them. What I was trying to ascertain was if you had the same issue. I have yet to do my swap as I'm still waiting on new shock mount plates and wanted to make sure I knew how to correct that issue if it happened to me.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts

Cool tool, but I'll stick to the crows feet as I already have them. What I was trying to ascertain was if you had the same issue. I have yet to do my swap as I'm still waiting on new shock mount plates and wanted to make sure I knew how to correct that issue if it happened to me.
how I did mine was using a ?pass through socket set? and a torx wrench. The socket is completely open on top (as is the socket wrench it works with) so a long bolt can go through it if necessary, or in my case, so the torx bit can go through it and counter pressure it to tighten it all up!

·
Registered
576 Posts

how I did mine was using a ?pass through socket set? and a torx wrench. The socket is completely open on top (as is the socket wrench it works with) so a long bolt can go through it if necessary, or in my case, so the torx bit can go through it and counter pressure it to tighten it all up!
I didn't due that because the pass through sockets aren't made for toque wrenches from what I saw. I wanted them torqued correctly and the tool I ordered works woth a torque wrench, as long as you have the Allen wrench. Lol

·
Registered
576 Posts

Sorry, thought you meant the shaft spinning problem lol

The noise was because I put new mounts on worn struts. Since the mounts did not move anymore, the worn struts made noise. After replacing them with b4s and driving around a few hours, there is no noise at all.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.