Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instrument cluster monitors the odometer mileage to determine when timing belt replacement may be necessary. After the vehicle accumulated approx 100,000 miles (160,00 Kilometers), the instrument cluster may display the "Change Timing Belt" message. After the engine timing belt has been replaced, reset the CHANGE TIMING BELT message by locating and removing the fuse that supply power to the Instrument Cluster for two minutes. Replace fuse and the message should disappear.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
Reactions: boraz

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,024 Posts
The instrument cluster monitors the odometer mileage to determine when timing belt replacement may be necessary. After the vehicle accumulated approx 100,000 miles (160,00 Kilometers), the instrument cluster may display the "Change Timing Belt" message. After the engine timing belt has been replaced, reset the CHANGE TIMING BELT message by locating and removing the fuse that supply power to the Instrument Cluster for two minutes. Replace fuse and the message should disappear.
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

you should introduce yourself here

and for future reference, if you wish to do a formal How-To, start here

Hey wait a minute - Joined in 2014!?

Where have you been?:1poke:

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Epic first post!! By the way, I need this, s the message has popped up again now that i am past 200K miles and no plans to change any time soon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Epic first post!! By the way, I need this, s the message has popped up again now that i am past 200K miles and no plans to change any time soon.
What method did you use to reset the indicator the first time? Did you change your belt at all?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Another method that may be a bit easier is to use the "Set/Clr" button at the end of the turn indicator. With the message present in the DIC, press and hold the Set/Clr button for about 10-20 seconds. Cycle the key OFF and open and close the drivers door. Wait 30 seconds, and recheck. The message should be gone. This method worked for me and I did not have to remove the fuse or disconnect the battery. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Another method that may be a bit easier is to use the "Set/Clr" button at the end of the turn indicator. With the message present in the DIC, press and hold the Set/Clr button for about 10-20 seconds. Cycle the key OFF and open and close the drivers door. Wait 30 seconds, and recheck. The message should be gone. This method worked for me and I did not have to remove the fuse or disconnect the battery. Hope this helps.
Also works well to quickly clear the low fuel or icy roads message.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just did my timing belt, the message goes away once it’s done. It mght have something to do with having the negative battery cable off long enough to reset the mileage records, but the change oil message stayed on.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
This method isn’t working for me. Tried both with engine on and engine off.

Every time I push/hold the set/clear button at the end of the turn signal stalk, the Timing Belt warning disappears immediately. Press and hold for 20 seconds, ignition to off, open/close driver door, wait 30 seconds not working.

Before i I remove the fuse, any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Can anyone please help me locate the instrument cluster fuse? There’s no fuse labeled as such. A picture would be awesome.

I’ve tried the turn signal Set/Clr button dozens of times, engine off/on, door open/closed, every combination and the method simply doesn’t reset the timing belt warning for me.

(Timing belt was done with water pump 35,000 miles ago).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
So after realizing there are 2 fuse boxes (one under the hood next to the battery and the other inside below and left of the steering wheel) I found the Instrument Cluster fuse in the interior fuse panel.

It’s a blue 15A fuse labeled #21 located at the upper right of the fuse panel. Pulled this fuse for a couple of minutes, replaced it and Timing Belt Warning reset.

ED34C14E-4D00-47B7-8E8B-3CA6ED7D474B.jpg
Interior Fuse Panel (below left of steering wheel)

296FE383-E87E-4AB9-9A7F-B7F804015CD7.jpg
Instrument Cluster Fuse #21
Blue 15A

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Just rolled 100k today on the way home from work. I'll try the fuse method. Going to try and squeeze 135k out of the belt.
Might be doable. My belt was replaced at 80k since they were in there doing the water pump, and my belt only showed the most MINOR signs of age. Probably could have gone another 40k no issues.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Might be doable. My belt was replaced at 80k since they were in there doing the water pump, and my belt only showed the most MINOR signs of age. Probably could have gone another 40k no issues.
I ended up doing mine at 125k. Absolutely could have gone longer, the belt was prefectly fine. My only concern was the tensioner was indicating the belt was pretty well stretched.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts