Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 2014 Chevy Cruze and the soon-to-be new owner is not at all interested in it. I have already flashed the vehicle back to stock, but from what I hear, it is not like a standard Diablo/SCT tuner... in that it is paired to a VIN when you order it, not when you first flash a vehicle.

What needs to be done to use the Fleece tuner on a different vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Your best bet is to contact fleece and see if they will take it back directly.

If not then I really just wouldn't bother to be honest. It's a 300 dollar device new where the license costs 130 of that. Leaving 170 new for the device itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahahah, no kidding.

In all honesty, I just wasn't aware of how the EFI Live system worked. Seems like both the license AND the tune is tied to the tuner, and not transferable. What a freaking crock. I've worked with just about every tuner besides EFI Live, and you are always able to recoup more than this. I'm seriously disappointed, and will avoid EFI in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Hahahah, no kidding.

In all honesty, I just wasn't aware of how the EFI Live system worked. Seems like both the license AND the tune is tied to the tuner, and not transferable. What a freaking crock. I've worked with just about every tuner besides EFI Live, and you are always able to recoup more than this. I'm seriously disappointed, and will avoid EFI in the future.
I don't understand the anger. You did buy the tune, were you expecting to get all $700 back or something?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$700? No. But certainly not $100 bucks, which seems like about all it's worth. On an SCT or Diablo, it is only tied to the vehicle when it's flashed. If I spent $700 on a tune and tuner for my Mustang, I can turn around and sell it to someone with the same calibration code (ie: year + auto or manual) for easily $500.

If that's how you like to do business, that's cool. Your money... you can set it on fire for all I care. To me, it is outrageous. Never again.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Call Fleece and get their recommendation rather than asking here... Fleece Performance Engineering 855.839.5040 or 317.286.3573. Calling will get you an answer that is more than speculation. My guess is that it can still be reused/sold but it will need to go back to Fleece to be unlocked and reflashed to the new car, again that was my GUESS. Call them to be sure. It really is the simplest and easiest solution to your situation... far easier than whining about it here on a forum...

EFILive is a GREAT Tuning tool and far superior to an SCT or Diablo box tuner in that it can be completely customized to the application. In the Diesel World, the majority of people know that full custom Tuning with EFILive yields much better results than any box tuner/programmer out there.

$700? No. But certainly not $100 bucks, which seems like about all it's worth. On an SCT or Diablo, it is only tied to the vehicle when it's flashed. If I spent $700 on a tune and tuner for my Mustang, I can turn around and sell it to someone with the same calibration code (ie: year + auto or manual) for easily $500.

If that's how you like to do business, that's cool. Your money... you can set it on fire for all I care. To me, it is outrageous. Never again.

Reactions: GMMillwright

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
EFILive is a GREAT Tuning tool and far superior to an SCT or Diablo box tuner in that it can be completely customized to the application. In the Diesel World, the majority of people know that full custom Tuning with EFILive yields much better results than any box tuner/programmer out there.

Really this. It's a completely different culture... It infuriates me how many people buy those other tuners. I've unfortunately seen what alot of 'big name tuners' throw out as tunes, and man it pisses me off, these people make more money than me for throwing out garbage all day long.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Call Fleece and get their recommendation rather than asking here... Fleece Performance Engineering 855.839.5040 or 317.286.3573. Calling will get you an answer that is more than speculation. My guess is that it can still be reused/sold but it will need to go back to Fleece to be unlocked and reflashed to the new car, again that was my GUESS. Call them to be sure. It really is the simplest and easiest solution to your situation... far easier than whining about it here on a forum...
It's also ironic that you suggested to call Fleece. I've called and left a voicemail twice now. How's that for service? Secondly, screw you for calling me a whiner. I'm sure I can find any number of times you have "whined" on a public forum about any range of issues. I've spent untold hours helping my fellow "whiners" on a plethora of different topics on countless message boards over the years, but when I come to this forum, I'm called a whiner. Nice.

EFILive is a GREAT Tuning tool and far superior to an SCT or Diablo box tuner in that it can be completely customized to the application.
It might be a good tool, but their licensing sucks. Period. You can argue until are blue in the face, but I've used SCT almost exclusively, including their Pro Racer package, and have nothing but excellent service, badass tuning capabilities, and not gouged for licensing fees when I go to sell a device, add/remove a VIN, whatever. I simply call and tell them I got a new vehicle. They deregister my old VIN and register a new one... no questions asked. Maybe that's my POC, but all I can tell you is that SCT can do everything that EFILive can do, for less money in the long run. Does EFILive even support Ford? How many vehicle do they support? Their coverage pales in comparison to SCT. I don't think they support the Cruze, or if they do, there was not a popular/well-tested tune for the Cruze CTD... which is the only reason I bought this in the first place. If I'm guilty of anything, it's ignorance. I did not know the EFILive licensing model, and erroneously assumed they would be similar to other tuners.

In the Diesel World, the majority of people know that full custom Tuning with EFILive yields much better results than any box tuner/programmer out there.
That sounds like a problem with the tuner creating the tune. They all address the same ECU/PCM parameters. EFILive is not going to set a better mass air transfer function than an SCT. That is just ridiculous. Do you actually know anything about writing tunes? Have you ever written one yourself?? I have... for a 1000HP E85 powered twin turbo mustang with a 5.4L 3v from a truck engine.... using the SCT PRP. It wasn't difficult or hard to understand, either. I could maybe see your argument if the interface were confusing, you had limited access to certain parameters, etc.

If you can tell me why EFILive is so much better and worth the licensing premium, I'd be willing to hear you out... but I'll warn you, I've already gone through that with a representative from where I got the Fleece tuner (Thoroughbred Diesel). They rattled off a bunch of **** that SCT has done for years and years. Not one unique to the EFILive platform. Keep living in la-la land.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
It's also ironic that you suggested to call Fleece. I've called and left a voicemail twice now. How's that for service? Secondly, screw you for calling me a whiner. I'm sure I can find any number of times you have "whined" on a public forum about any range of issues. I've spent untold hours helping my fellow "whiners" on a plethora of different topics on countless message boards over the years, but when I come to this forum, I'm called a whiner. Nice.

It might be a good tool, but their licensing sucks. Period. You can argue until are blue in the face, but I've used SCT almost exclusively, including their Pro Racer package, and have nothing but excellent service, badass tuning capabilities, and not gouged for licensing fees when I go to sell a device, add/remove a VIN, whatever. I simply call and tell them I got a new vehicle. They deregister my old VIN and register a new one... no questions asked. Maybe that's my POC, but all I can tell you is that SCT can do everything that EFILive can do, for less money in the long run. Does EFILive even support Ford? How many vehicle do they support? Their coverage pales in comparison to SCT. I don't think they support the Cruze, or if they do, there was not a popular/well-tested tune for the Cruze CTD... which is the only reason I bought this in the first place. If I'm guilty of anything, it's ignorance. I did not know the EFILive licensing model, and erroneously assumed they would be similar to other tuners.

That sounds like a problem with the tuner creating the tune. They all address the same ECU/PCM parameters. EFILive is not going to set a better mass air transfer function than an SCT. That is just ridiculous. Do you actually know anything about writing tunes? Have you ever written one yourself??

If you can tell me why EFILive is so much better and worth the licensing premium, I'd be willing to hear you out... but I'll warn you, I've already gone through that with a representative from where I got the Fleece tuner (Thoroughbred Diesel). They rattled off a bunch of **** that SCT has done for years and years. Not one unique to the EFILive platform. Keep living in la-la land.
As far as the whining comment, you seem to be proving my point with each post in this thread. I am not a tuner, nor a rep for EFILive or SCT, but I have used both several times. SCT does a lot for Fords and EFILive does not do any Fords that I know of... The custom tuning capabilities I have been told are greater with EFILive than other tuners especially box tuners/modules and the EFILive interface is great as it allows tuners to work on a PC rather than trying to do tuning on a module screen, perhaps SCT does as much as EFILive in the hands of a capable tuner/engineer... That is not me, I write about the use of them, I do not write tunes for them...

I know from a power/drivability/effeciency standpoint EFILive is the most respected diesel tuning tool for Cummins and Duramax engines. Power Stroke engines do not have those options and have to go with other modules/tuners and generally do not have as good of results.

If you want the ultimate in tuning capability you will need to go with a Stand Along Bosch Motorsport ECU which will work with virtually any engine and configuration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Flapjack, I believe that it is transferable through Fleece. If you can get ahold of them I'd be willing to buy the unit from you if they agree to retune/issue a new vin license for my car. I am very interested and hoping for good news!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Flapjack, I believe that it is transferable through Fleece. If you can get ahold of them I'd be willing to buy the unit from you if they agree to retune/issue a new vin license for my car. I am very interested and hoping for good news!

·
Registered
3 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts