Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a little guide to help you remove the centre silver trims around the radio and hvac controls on a 2011 North American Cruze (and 2012, though clips may be in different locations, i don't know for sure).First thing is first, get yourself a dashboard trim removal tool. Any auto place should sell them, either in kits or by themselves. DONT USE A SCREWDRIVER! You'll scratch the **** out of everything and they aren't wide enough to release the clips without indenting the plastic or, at worst, cracking it. Before we begin, these are the two trims I'm referring to:

Vehicle Car Center console Auto part Hatchback Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Center console Multimedia

Removal is actually quite simple. It's only a matter of taking a removal tool and prying at where the clip points are. Here are some photos of where the clip points are and where you should use the tool to pry at. Again, its important to use the proper tools, because a screwdriver is likely to just indent the plastic rather than pop the clip. Once the clips have release the trim, gently wiggle it back and up, but BE CAREFUL! there are 2 wire harnesses connecting to the Stabilitrac button and gear position details in place. This is where the earlier European Cruzes and NA Cruzes differ. The only guides I was able to find so far picture the European Cruze, which doesn't have the two details on the U Trim. First, the U shaped trim:
Vehicle Car Auto part Center console Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior Steering wheel

The photo below is the Stabilitrac button harness. It's a simple pull to remove coupling. Like most car connectors, they're in there pretty good so give it a manly tug and it should release.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Car Tire

The next photos are of the gear position detail. It's a view from above as you see it from the passenger seat. Disconnect the white connector (circled) first then slide the entire harness back to remove it from the trim. It will slide back where the square is around. Take note of how the wire wraps around the holding post, try to assemble it back the way it was. Photos are of before and after removal.
Auto part Vehicle Technology Automotive exterior Car Gun Auto part Automotive exterior Trunk Trigger

That's it for that, do as you will with it. Personally, I wrapped mine in carbon fibre vinyl (for now). To remove the button and gear position detail just remove the screws and take them off. Don't forget to do this if you're gonna paint your silver trim another colour.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next is the trim around the radio and vents. This one is much easier because there's no wires to disconnect.
The photo below shows where the clips are and where to pry to remove the trim. The vents are attached to it so be careful pulling it out.
Vehicle Car Multimedia Electronics Technology

Here's the trim removed. Circles show where the clips are. The arrows show the location of the tabs holing the vents in place to the trim. There are 5 total tabs on each vent. I popped mine off with a tiny screwdriver while simultaneously lifting up on the vent to keep it released (otherwise it just snaps back in place). It can be a little tricky but just be gentle with them, they might break (though people say they're quite durable)
Vehicle Car Auto part Steering part Steering wheel Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Seat belt

That's it! Hope you enjoyed the guide.

Good luck out there.

CHUV

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Nice write up though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
...video is useless...

its an asian cruze (correction, its a lacetti). there's no harnesses holding the buttons that he removes.

that and its unsearchable because of the different language (i'm not even gonna attempt to guess at what it is).

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Lol I think it's Korean.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How do you remove the part with the AC controls I took out the bolts but nothing will budge after that

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Thank you. I'm planning on replacing my PDIM with the Bluetooth PDIM. This will really help. Also, the video shows using a wall scraper to remove, which I wondered about.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I took off both of the trim pieces the one around the shifter and the one around the clock. Then I took the little compartment that is above the shifter. Then I took the screws holding it in place and went to take it out but it seemed like the top corners are stuck for some reason? anyone have any tips to getting that one out and the radio out?

·
Registered
364 Posts
installing a touch screen radio in my car tonight and i need to know how to get it off. anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey man, where'd ya get your carbon fiber Vinyl?

And can you post a picture of how it looks with it? If it's not too much!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
any advice on how to get the silver of the steering wheele? i am planning on trying to paint it a nice deep orange, i like organe... my car is red so i may not... but even so i still plan to do some color hcanges on inside make it brighter

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked into taking the silver off the wheel. It looks like a huge pain in the ass as you have to pull apart the entire wheel. And I am not about to go messing with airbags...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the write up on removal on the dashboard, made my Install go alot quicker (and no damage) than if I had not read your post...

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is exactly the piece I wish to replace (scratched the crap out of mine when I was on crutches). I am a novice with trim, therefore could you be a little more specific regarding using a trim removal tool? Any good source for a replacement part (2011 Eco)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.