Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How to upgrade Module Pak for wireless charger? (iphone 8 compatible)

16636 Views 27 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  SilveradoWTRT
Hi all, I see that GM finally released a new Module Pack that will allow my iPhone 8 to work with the wireless charger in my 2017 Cruze.

[h=1]Module Pkg - GM (84526978)[/h]
I see various posts for folks saying it was a 10 minute job to replace, but I think they are referring to the one on the GM Trucks. I am wondering if anyone has instructions on how to open the console on the 2017 Cruze to access the old module to replace it with the new one, and how difficult a job it is.

Normally I would just have the dealership do it, but they want $160 for the part and another $140 for install, when i can buy the part for $60. So if this is a simple job that i can do myself I would like to do that.

I searched for youtube videos and instructions online to no avail, so hoping someoen here can help.

Thanks
Doug
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Not to hijack the post but I'm planning on retrofitting my gent 2 diesel hatch with the wireless charger. I got a new one with harness and all waiting in a box.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
I just finished doing this and the replacement module works as expected. I can now successfully change my iPhone8. Will have details and pictures later. I couldn't remove the shifter knob so the work was a bit more pita.

· Registered
8 Posts
Please note, I took the pictures from finished to start (meaning I was buttoning things up). Hope you can follow it anyway.

Need two tools: torx T15 (magnetic helps) and 7mm socket

The two modules:

Remove driver/passenger side panels (they pop out while drivers side near pedals has a 7mm bolt)

Remove fuse cover by popping the sides first:

Unscrew 7mm bolt here:

Unplug USB/audio and 12v socket from the back, connectors look like this:

Remove and disconnect shifter cover:

Unbolt front and back:

Lift as high as it can to work from underneath and unbolt charging slot):

Pop out retainer:

Unplug old module and replace with new including pigtail connector. Module is held on with 4 torx bolts.

Reverse order and reassemble.

· Registered
214 Posts
I just finished doing this and the replacement module works as expected. I can now successfully change my iPhone8. Will have details and pictures later. I couldn't remove the shifter knob so the work was a bit more pita.
Can you add wireless charger if you didn't have it as a option when. You bought your car?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
Can you add wireless charger if you didn't have it as a option when. You bought your car?
If I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't have fixed it. I did this because it wouldn't charge a phone I use. As with anything, you can probably find a way to add to a car that never had one. Considering I now have up to four USB ports to use, I'm not sure when I would use the wireless charger. In addition to the cost, here's two more reasons to not add it: 1) Car Play/Android Auto requires a USB connection and 2) wireless charging is slower. Yes, I bought my new-to-me car a few weeks ago. Thanks for asking. :)

· Registered
124 Posts
That looks like a ton of work - ~$300 might not be a bad price to pay :)

I just got a 2018 Premier Sedan with the wireless port - I cant seem to find a definitive answer online but I dont believe it will work with my iPhone XS wireless charging? Would this new module work on an '18 to charge my XS?

· Registered
124 Posts
$300 is $300! Based on this link: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/200533-wireless-charging/?page=31, I'm pretty sure it'll fit your car.

This was the cheapest I found after shipping: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/gm-module-pkg-84526978

If you're in the DC area, I'll be glad to help you with it. It's EZPZ.
I may take you up on that offer in the future as I am in the DC area :) - being the car is less than a week old I dont want to make any changes just yet. You have to basically take the center console apart to replace the module correct?

· Registered
261 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
I can't say I'd really deal with the hassle of having the wireless charging. On my Premier at least, it is very finicky and unreliable. It works probably 60% of the time. I often have to take my phone in and out several times before it'll actually charge anything. It's irritating. My phone works fine with every other wireless charger I've used it on, so it's not the phone.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a couple questions, did you replace your unit with the new Qi charger module (compatible with iPhone)? Also, the charging module is on the front-side of the slot, so have you placed your phone facing the rear?

I can't say I'd really deal with the hassle of having the wireless charging. On my Premier at least, it is very finicky and unreliable. It works probably 60% of the time. I often have to take my phone in and out several times before it'll actually charge anything. It's irritating. My phone works fine with every other wireless charger I've used it on, so it's not the phone.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
Any chance you can send the pics? I bought the upgrade module and took apart the console from the top. Didn't know you have to reach it from the bottom.
This is an older thread, it would be better to quote or mention whomever you are asking this question of. Also did you read the first page of posts. There are many pictures there. Again, if you are asking for more, would help if you ask for certain ones as well.
@quailallstar may be able to help.

· Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately, I did not save the pictures to send. However, as Blasirl mentioned, there are instructions and pictures I provided from the first page of this thread. For the most part, things either unscrew or pop out. Let me know if you have any questions.
Any chance you can send the pics? I bought the upgrade module and took apart the console from the top. Didn't know you have to reach it from the bottom.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.