Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
So I'm really "green" when it comes to soldering wires and everything, how exactly is this done? I want to do this upgrade and this is the only part I'm unsure of. Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I do this upgrade I plan on upgrading the bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. I believe these are the brightest clear glass halogen bulbs out there and combined with the wiring upgrade should really brighten up the road.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just got all the stuff for this and will be installing it this weekend. I will snap some before and after pics for people looking to do this. I also am upgrading the bulbs to philips xtreme power. We will see how the bulb life is for me if I go with these a second time or not.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I plan on using a firework setting on my camera which hopefully will limit some of that variance. Plan on using the same height and close to the same angle as I'll be using a tripod. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day so I'll probably take before pics tonight when I get home from work and then after shots tomorrow night when I'm done.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey SkullCruze,

Could you take a picture of the actual beam and how well the vision is in front of the car? This may be a better comparison of brightness.
I already took before picture last night it didn't turn out horrible I guess but there is a fair amount of glare and reflection from the lights no matter the setting I did. Since I'm going to be doing the harness upgrade tonight I won't be able to do a before shot down the road but I could do a after shot down a country road that should give you some idea of how bright they will be. I will do low and high beam.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a note to people who feel it's necessary to install in-line fuse holders in this harness. From what I can see it's a needless expense and addition of connectors to a very nice harness. I got my harness yesterday and took it out to look it over today( it actually got here before my car!). It's a well built harness, much better than most relay harnesses I've seen in the past. I got to thinking that even the cheapest harness I've bought in the past included a fuse holder for circuit protection, yet this very nice harness didn't. After closer examination of the harness, I discovered that the 2 black wires that plug to the red wires for power supply are actually labled as fusable links. I was curious as to why they were black yet plugged into the red power wires. Now I know why. I won't be putting online fuse holders on mine as there's no need to fuse a fusable link.
Just an update on this so people may not get confused my harness the connected wires are now also red. I don't know if I got a newer design or older but the entire power supply wires but before and after the connection are red not black. They still say fusible link on them and it is fairly easy to read.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here are some pics I took.

Stock bulbs with stock headlight harness

New bulbs Philips Xtreme Power with upgraded headlight harness

I don't think you can get much of a whiter white in a halogen clear glass bulb

Low Beam

High Beam

In the pics it looks like the low beam shows more to the sides but the high beam is brighter in person hard to get pics with a camera that the eye can see. The improvement is amazing, there is A LOT more side visibility and is just all around brighter. Went by numerous cars including a couple of cops with no issues being flashed. Now we will just see how long the bulbs last if I continue with the Philips or if I go with a lesser bulb.

·
Registered
273 Posts
To those who have done this, have you noticed that the DRL's are just about as bright as the low beams? I can't tell the difference between the them and I always thought DRL's were slightly dimmer then low beams.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Only time will tell as Sciphi was one of the first to do this mod. His was a custom made harness not the one that was bought. Obviously it will matter on how much you drive as well. I maybe only drive 8000 miles a year so results will also vary in that regard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I grabbed a 470uF polar axial I believe it is a 32v from Radio Shack and mine is working beautifully. I also ran my wire across behind the grill and the engine bay looks a lot cleaner but it just reaches the passenger side.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah I didn't like how the capacitor was either. I snapped the ends off my first one and had to redo everything and had to add extra wire in doing so. In any case the second time around I braced each side of the capacitor with a small piece of a cut leather belt and taped it all nice and tight with electrical tape now it is all nice and sturdy.

Click to enlarge the picture.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is a very simple upgrade and is almost entirely plug and play. The only modification you need to do to the harness is adding a capacitor. This was the first time I ever did wiring like this and found it easy. Just follow the instructions Xtreme has provided and if you never soldered before he posted a very helpful video on doing that as well. Probably the most difficult part is hiding all the wires.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Silverstars aren't really being recommended due to the fact they are a blue tinted bulb giving it the HID look. However because of this they filter out the yellow spectrum and in bad weather (rain/snow) the light just gets sucked up by the water. I have Philips Xtreme Power which are clear bulbs but give off a nice white light. I have a picture of them earlier in this thread.

I had Silverstars in previous vehicles because I wanted that bright white/blue output and they appeared bright on the road. But when the rain came all that illumination went bye bye. After being recommended the Xtreme Powers I will never go back to a blue tinted bulb.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Now I don't put a whole lot of miles on my car but have had this upgrade for 11 months and about 7,000 miles and the Xtreme Power bulbs are still working great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.