Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Just an update for anyone who installed this harness, a couple of weeks ago I checked the engine bay and noticed the two black wires coming directly from the power distribution block, which supplied power, had badly rotted insulation around the wires that caused it to look like it had been cut in several places. This left wire exposed, which began to oxidize, and the resulting resistance got the wires so hot that they melted an indentation in my coolant overflow tank.

Fortunately, Putco had sent me a replacement harness a while back to remedy the issue I had with the sockets melting, so I just pulled the connector off of that one, which I discovered was red instead of black and had thicker insulation. Just something for you guys to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks Like all the photos from the original post have dead links. Would you be able to update this to have the photos work again? I am interested in doing this with my car. Also, would this be applicable for prepping to eventually doing a headlight swap to projector headlights? Thanks for all the info and great post!

FYI, I have a 2014 Cruze LT

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Looks Like all the photos from the original post have dead links. Would you be able to update this to have the photos work again? I am interested in doing this with my car. Also, would this be applicable for prepping to eventually doing a headlight swap to projector headlights? Thanks for all the info and great post!

FYI, I have a 2014 Cruze LT
They still show up for me. Try a different device maybe?

If your projector headlights will have HID lamps, then yes, this would be good prep work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They still show up for me. Try a different device maybe?

If your projector headlights will have HID lamps, then yes, this would be good prep work.

Looks like it was just a weird Chrome thing. Working fine in Opera.

Also, a quick question (if this is too far outside the thread, feel free to PM me). I read a previous post of yours regarding HIDs in reflector housings, and I completely agree. My question is, what about using HID in High-Beam only reflectors? They'd only be used when no other oncoming cars are present. The headlights that I am getting have Projector low-beam and reflector high-beam.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Looks like it was just a weird Chrome thing. Working fine in Opera.

Also, a quick question (if this is too far outside the thread, feel free to PM me). I read a previous post of yours regarding HIDs in reflector housings, and I completely agree. My question is, what about using HID in High-Beam only reflectors? They'd only be used when no other oncoming cars are present. The headlights that I am getting have Projector low-beam and reflector high-beam.

Thanks in advance!
I see no reason why that would be a problem from a safety perspective, but you need to remember that HID lamps have a "warm-up" delay when first turned on, so they aren't as well suited for toggled high beam use.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,038 Posts
I see no reason why that would be a problem from a safety perspective, but you need to remember that HID lamps have a "warm-up" delay when first turned on, so they aren't as well suited for toggled high beam use.
Would one of the better LED bulbs be better suited for that?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Fair point. What about a nice, bright LED for the high's then?

EDIT: Didn't see your post, MP81. :)
LEDs are not any brighter than halogens; just a different color temp. In fact, a high efficiency halogen like the Philips Xtreme Vision or the Osram Nightbreaker would arguably be brighter. LEDs lose a lot of output as they get hot, which doesn't take long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LEDs are not any brighter than halogens; just a different color temp. In fact, a high efficiency halogen like the Philips Xtreme Vision or the Osram Nightbreaker would arguably be brighter. LEDs lose a lot of output as they get hot, which doesn't take long.

And, I assume the Halogens may actually be brighter than the LEDs could get, after the harness replacement

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
And, I assume the Halogens may actually be brighter than the LEDs could get, after the harness replacement
Agreed. LEDs really have no place in primary automotive lighting due to the poor output once they get hot. It's quite a challenge keeping them cooled.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
That's why they have to be done right.

The OEM LEDs on my Volt are incredibly bright - so much so it makes me realize just how pathetically bad our Cruze's lights are. But I wouldn't doubt that others are not as great.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
That's why they have to be done right.

The OEM LEDs on my Volt are incredibly bright - so much so it makes me realize just how pathetically bad our Cruze's lights are. But I wouldn't doubt that others are not as great.
The ones on the Corolla, for example, are simply awful.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
The ones on the Corolla, for example, are simply awful.
I feel like those were almost an afterthought...they just decided the existing car needed LEDs. Not the way to go about it - gotta be there from the start, otherwise you won't be able to work adequate cooling into the housing.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
16 Posts
If, after doing this upgrade, I am on a dark, winding mountain road and the connection is somehow severed, am I just driving blind and basically dead?

My only real concern is the connection for the capacitor, the rest seems pretty solid.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
If, after doing this upgrade, I am on a dark, winding mountain road and the connection is somehow severed, am I just driving blind and basically dead?

My only real concern is the connection for the capacitor, the rest seems pretty solid.

Thanks.
The capacitor is there to keep the relays from buzzing when the headlights are in DRL mode due to the PWM signal. At night, the headlights get a full signal so this wouldn't be a concern.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
xtreme,

In doing this, is there any wayto change my DRL to be my parking lights? Just curious. Don't want my main headlights to be my DRLs.

Thanks
Nope, not possible. The signal is set by the computer to go through the headlights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope, not possible. The signal is set by the computer to go through the headlights.
Just did a little looking. Looks like this is possible. https://youtu.be/_7Jv1MXVRY4

It's not the parking lights, but it is actually more along the lines of what I wanted. I have just picked up some Spyder Auto headlights and want the LEDs in them to be the DRL. I don't want my projectors to be the DRLs.

I have reached out to the poster to see if he can provide a little more detail.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts