Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 80 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just got all the stuff for this and will be installing it this weekend. I will snap some before and after pics for people looking to do this. I also am upgrading the bulbs to philips xtreme power. We will see how the bulb life is for me if I go with these a second time or not.

·
Administrator
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just got all the stuff for this and will be installing it this weekend. I will snap some before and after pics for people looking to do this. I also am upgrading the bulbs to philips xtreme power. We will see how the bulb life is for me if I go with these a second time or not.
Sounds good. Good luck with the pictures though. Those aren't easy to take as most cameras will auto-adjust the exposure and ISO based on the light output, so you won't really be able to tell too accurately. You'll definitely notice the difference though!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I plan on using a firework setting on my camera which hopefully will limit some of that variance. Plan on using the same height and close to the same angle as I'll be using a tripod. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day so I'll probably take before pics tonight when I get home from work and then after shots tomorrow night when I'm done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm interested in doing this mod, but am wondering (and this may be a silly question - don't know much about electrical) if it will, in any way, do harm to the existing electrical system? ie. Will it over-work the alternator or 'suck' power from other electrical components, creating issues over time?

Great work!
Bill

·
Administrator
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm interested in doing this mod, but am wondering (and this may be a silly question - don't know much about electrical) if it will, in any way, do harm to the existing electrical system? ie. Will it over-work the alternator or 'suck' power from other electrical components, creating issues over time?

Great work!
Bill
Nope. This will not cause any issues.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey SkullCruze,

Could you take a picture of the actual beam and how well the vision is in front of the car? This may be a better comparison of brightness.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey SkullCruze,

Could you take a picture of the actual beam and how well the vision is in front of the car? This may be a better comparison of brightness.
I already took before picture last night it didn't turn out horrible I guess but there is a fair amount of glare and reflection from the lights no matter the setting I did. Since I'm going to be doing the harness upgrade tonight I won't be able to do a before shot down the road but I could do a after shot down a country road that should give you some idea of how bright they will be. I will do low and high beam.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure if you checked out my install post back on page 3 I think, but it gives a great way to route the harness so it looks clean and maintains a factory look. I found a great spot to mount the relays as well. You'll definitely be impressed at the amount of light with the new harness. Good luck.

Reactions: TechCruzer

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a note to people who feel it's necessary to install in-line fuse holders in this harness. From what I can see it's a needless expense and addition of connectors to a very nice harness. I got my harness yesterday and took it out to look it over today( it actually got here before my car!). It's a well built harness, much better than most relay harnesses I've seen in the past. I got to thinking that even the cheapest harness I've bought in the past included a fuse holder for circuit protection, yet this very nice harness didn't. After closer examination of the harness, I discovered that the 2 black wires that plug to the red wires for power supply are actually labled as fusable links. I was curious as to why they were black yet plugged into the red power wires. Now I know why. I won't be putting online fuse holders on mine as there's no need to fuse a fusable link.
Just an update on this so people may not get confused my harness the connected wires are now also red. I don't know if I got a newer design or older but the entire power supply wires but before and after the connection are red not black. They still say fusible link on them and it is fairly easy to read.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here are some pics I took.

Stock bulbs with stock headlight harness

New bulbs Philips Xtreme Power with upgraded headlight harness

I don't think you can get much of a whiter white in a halogen clear glass bulb

Low Beam

High Beam

In the pics it looks like the low beam shows more to the sides but the high beam is brighter in person hard to get pics with a camera that the eye can see. The improvement is amazing, there is A LOT more side visibility and is just all around brighter. Went by numerous cars including a couple of cops with no issues being flashed. Now we will just see how long the bulbs last if I continue with the Philips or if I go with a lesser bulb.

·
Administrator
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Nice! I'm glad you also had the same experiences the rest of us had. It really does make a huge difference and is the easiest way to significantly improve your lighting legally short of retrofitting projectors.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Will be doing this since I have no more hid :(

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
273 Posts
To those who have done this, have you noticed that the DRL's are just about as bright as the low beams? I can't tell the difference between the them and I always thought DRL's were slightly dimmer then low beams.

·
Administrator
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
To those who have done this, have you noticed that the DRL's are just about as bright as the low beams? I can't tell the difference between the them and I always thought DRL's were slightly dimmer then low beams.
The DRLs will now be given full power. Prior to this, they received a PWM (pulsed) signal to keep them dimmer. That PWM signal would cause the harness relay to spaz out, hence the need for the capacitor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The DRLs will now be given full power. Prior to this, they received a PWM (pulsed) signal to keep them dimmer. That PWM signal would cause the harness relay to spaz out, hence the need for the capacitor.
Received my harness yesterday, but did not pop open the package to inspect... ordered from Amazon so I'm sure it's what most of you all used if you followed XR's How-To recommendation.

I do have a question however about bulb life... doing this upgrade is going to place the bulbs into max mode. Is this going to cause real early burnout & require putting more money into bulbs say without the upgrade? I mean I don't mind replacing them say yearly or so, but I saw where Sciphi stated his required replacement just after 5 months. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Only time will tell as Sciphi was one of the first to do this mod. His was a custom made harness not the one that was bought. Obviously it will matter on how much you drive as well. I maybe only drive 8000 miles a year so results will also vary in that regard.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Only time will tell as Sciphi was one of the first to do this mod. His was a custom made harness not the one that was bought. Obviously it will matter on how much you drive as well. I maybe only drive 8000 miles a year so results will also vary in that regard.
True about Sciphi & his results... I still plan on doing the harness upgrade, but suppose if it starts to get expensive on the bulb buys I'll just go back to stock & live with the stock performance. Anyone know what the going rate is for the stock bulbs, anyway?

·
Registered
316 Posts
True about Sciphi & his results... I still plan on doing the harness upgrade, but suppose if it starts to get expensive on the bulb buys I'll just go back to stock & live with the stock performance. Anyone know what the going rate is for the stock bulbs, anyway?
Stock bulbs are free as long as you didn't throw them out during the conversion.

61 - 80 of 361 Posts