Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To start off I did a how to a few months ago on the center consul so I wont be going of that on this thread, click on How to Vinyl Center column... for the instructions.
After a few months of thinking how to wrap the shift knob and not being able to find out how it comes apart I decided to just figure it out. My warning is be careful or you can break clips. See the pictures below. I am only going to tell you the proper way to do it which I discovered half way through which did cause me a little damage as you can see in the photo’s.

To get the shift knob off, first you need to use a screw driver to pry the front piece off that surrounds the chrome button. It just pops straight out.

Then put the vehicle in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear and look into the front of it. You will see two small clips holding the top piece on. Push in a flat head screw driver and it will pop the clips off without breaking them. (I did not discover this step till after my clips broke a little super glue fixed it) Then lift straight up and the top piece comes right off.

This is a top veiw of the shift knob, if you look to the top left of the knob you can see where the clips line up.

Simply reinstall and you have
I am still trying to find out how to get the steering wheel cover off to do it. So if anyone knows how please let me know.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] I decided to do the trim inside the door behind the door openers. This is simple, just use a flat head screw driver and insert at the top where there is a divot. Give it a twist and it falls out. Cut out a piece of the vinyl to fit and reinstall.

For links on how to do the rest of the center dash area see below links.
Ru5ty's Build Thread has taken the time to youtube a video.
centre console trim removal 2012 chevrolet cruze - YouTube
And a great write up with photo’s.
Silver dashboard trim removal guide

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
PINK! Wow.

Looks like the wrap is lifting in the corners of the vents. What vinyl did you use? Did you apply heat when stretching it in there? 3m makes a product called Primer 94, it's an adhesion promoter to help with situations like that. I don't know if it works with other vinyl product or just theirs, but it works well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has lifted a small amount. I used heat when I first out it on, but I don't think I used enough. I need to get the heat gun out in the car and add a little heat and re press it down. If that doesn't fix it I will pull it off and redo it with extra that I have. It was my first time using vinyl so I was learning as I went. And feel a lot better now after doing a lot of it. I had not hard of the spray but will have to look into that. It is 3m vinyl and very high quality. The pink is because its my wife's car and she wanted pink. Not my first choice in colors, but it makes her happy, and that is good for life...

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I had not hard of the spray but will have to look into that. It is 3m vinyl and very high quality. The pink is because its my wife's car and she wanted pink. Not my first choice in colors, but it makes her happy, and that is good for life...
Happy Wife = Priceless

The 94 comes in single use "pens", not recommended as they dry out quickly. Also comes in a small tin for ~$15. It's a very thin liquid that you brush on the surface of the part to be covered. Dries quickly and helps a lot.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm only doing the shifter and radio. If I feel daring enough I will do the steering wheel. I am hoping to get by with 1 sheet.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 will be enough for the center piece and steering wheel if you don't have extra cuts, I had one I had to do over which used some up

·
Registered
273 Posts
OP have you thought about using the Blaze Pink plasti-dip? It really has that pink pop when using a white plasti-dip base coat.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have considered it but money is a little tight right now so we are holding off on any extreme change for the time being. Also I have never used it and not sure if its going to give the texture and shine/ appearance that we want. My plan is to buy a can and play with it alitt me to see the out come and sample it so I can see how it compares. My other thought is just taking it to a friend with a paint booth and Gavin him spray it, but I don't like how painted plastic normally looks. Although that judgement is off most the cars you see painting parts that are not desgigned to take paint and has the cheap look to it. I think the cruze trim prices would take well to a paint, but when I get a little extra cash I will start experimenting.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the finished result with the speed cluster / Gauge complete. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Chevrolet cruze

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Wow she likes pink , Good for you Apcruze .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just like the rest of the trim, you can use a small flat head screw driver and your fingers and it just pops out. I think it was a total of 6 or 8 little clips

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
AP, had you considered spraying the pieces with Plasti Dip instead of using Vinyl? I only ask because i want to do this to my interior, but i have never used vinyl and have no clue how it works / how to apply it, whereas Dip is quite easy. You said yourself vinyl was new to you, was it 'easy' for a new timer? at least once you got the hang of it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have considered it but instead of using plasti dip I will probably actually paint it. The vinyl was easy but does some time to get use to. The hardest part is sharp corners. The vinyl was really used as a trial for if we liked the color and amount of color. I like the shine that vinyl gives over plasti and that is why I would paint before plasti dipping. I have done a lot of paint work through the years so I know the appearance will come out better and more long term.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The pink looks amazing! Iv had my 2012 cruze for about 2 years now and I'm looking to customize the interior. Any ideas on where to find a blue closest to the blue topaz? Kinda new to this site anything would help :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.