Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS. It has all the options but the navigation and remote start/push start... so far, it has been a good car to me(mechanically), it has 25.000 kms and I bought it brand new... but, I am concerned about how well the car will hold over time... I've had a few recalls, the coolant smell problem, which they are not able to fix because it does not happen everyday and they can't replicate the issue... (I've been to a few dealers regarding this, frustrating), wind noise in the cabin (which they say is normal), anyway... since brand new I realized the driver seat made a squeaky noise sometimes, like a bad spring (I don't even know if it has springs inside, but that's the noise it makes, like an old mattress, reported it before they didn't want to do anything, tomorrow I have an appointment about this issue again) and now I just realized the steering wheel is peeling off... yea, the fake leather is giving up after just over 2 years... and 25.000 kms... the guy from the dealer took some photos and said he'll send the pics to GM and see what they want to do... ill attach some pics. 20151022_111913.jpg 20151022_111935.jpg 20151022_111943.jpg 20151022_112018.jpg

I am still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty I think (it's 3 years right?) Do you think they should replace the steering wheel? and what about the freaking squeaky driver seat? should they replace it? or is there a way to fix the issue without replacing the whole thing? let me know what do you think.

Regards

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
There is a little wind noise - check the weather strips on the back doors. In particular the strips in front of the window should be seated properly. If they're not securely seated you get a lot of wind noise. My dealership ended up glueing mine in place.

Coolant smell - While you're at your preferred dealer about the steering wheel mention this to them again and ask that they put the GM dexcool dye into the coolant. Also top off the coolant. Keep an eye for coolant drop and note where the dye residue is located - this is your leak. If its in the surge tank vent let us know - GM doesn't have an official fix for this location but we do.

Squeaky driver's seat - the front seats are compressed foam sitting on top of springs like an old cheap mattress on a bunk bed. It's possible one of the springs is squeaking. Really hard to track down but doable. Lift your driver's seat and look under it from the back and you'll see some of what I'm talking about. Some of the springs are covered but you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

Steering wheel - sounds like some of the stitching has been damaged at some point. Replacing the steering wheel is the only way to fix this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey obermd,

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I'll take a look at the weather strips thanks for pointing that out!
So when I go tomorrow to check the front seat issue, can they replace the springs? individually? or how does that work?
GM dexcool dye, I ask them to do that, should they charge me for doing that? or that's covered under warranty?
And about the steering wheel, because I am covered under warranty I shouldn't have to pay for this fix, right? just checking.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Everything should be covered under the warranty. Your dealership may balk at the dye but tell them you understand that intermittent problems are hard to track down and the dye is to assist in tracking down the leak, which is the source of the coolant odor you get. I'm guessing at this point but I suspect the surge tank/pressure cap isn't holding under all conditions.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
For the squeak in the seat. Take a look at where the seat belt buckle, the part with the release, sits between the console and the seat. Using your hand hold on to the buckle. If the noise goes away it's in the noise friction material kind of a felt that they coated the plastic down by the buckle on.

I've had the seats all the way down to the springs. It's possible that there's something loose within the seat. Is this a manual or power assist seat?

The problem with that repair is it takes so much time to pull the covers and foam off the seats I'm guessing they will resist. They should at least be willing to consider unbolting the seat and inspecting the bottom of the seat for loose components, adjusting mechanisms ect. Check the area where the buckle is first. There's a lot of felt glued onto the bottom plastic of the seat, and I think this is an engineering attempt at minimizing noise.

I also have had problems with the coolant. See if they dye it, and go back and have it inspected with a blacklight. I believe Autozone even has this equipment as part of their rent a tool program. But you have to pay for the dye.

I agree you shouldn't have to research this hard with a new car, but with the fixes on this forum I've addressed everything, and to date my 2012 has only seen a dealer 1 time, 5 days after purchase.

Let us know what they find. I'm interested in the seats. There's a heck of a lot of stuff going on with a power drivers seat. In the bottom cushion.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
For the squeaky seat, make sure the seat back isn't rubbing against the center console near the console lid.

As for the steering wheel, if it was me, I'd think about something like shoe polish. I don't think it's peeling as much as the coloring wearing off.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The base of my driver seat(power) will make noise when going around corners if in the right position(a creaking groaning sound). If its making noise I just need to adjust it slightly to eliminate.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"I am still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty I think (it's 3 years right?) Do you think they should replace the steering wheel? and what about the freaking squeaky driver seat? should they replace it? or is there a way to fix the issue without replacing the whole thing? let me know what do you think."

Yes they should replace the steering wheel. It is defective and should be replaced under warranty. I had the same thing happen to me. The wheel was wearing abnormally in spots and was turning white. Also had the same problem with the interior right rear door handle. They were both turning white after 2 years. My dealer replaced them no questions asked. It is obvious if the car has been abused or not and is your fault. It is defective so tell the dealer to honor their warranty. This is exactly why there is a 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty - to cover defective parts.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yeah, if it's warranty, take it in. Otherwise, think about the coloring it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My old radiator pressure tester came with two adapters, for cars, a small one, and for trucks a large one, but had to purchase another adapter for Japanese cars a real small cap. Then what happened to the radiator cap?

So I took an air male quick coupler to a shut off valve to a regulator with a pressure gauge on it to a female air coupler. Purchased those new plastic radiator cap for the car, nothing standard anymore. Drilled a hole in it and use a 1/4" NPT tap and screwed and glues a male air quick coupler.

Screw that on to the reservoir, hook this contraption in series with my air compressor, adjust the pressure to about 25 psi, turn off that shut off valve, then watch that pressure gauge, should hold steady.

In regards to dye, Dex-cool already has a dye in it, but if you have a filthy grease covered engine that I don't have, need a UV dye and a black light. With both a cold and hot engine, can easy find the leaks.

But really don't fool with this with a sweet odor coming out of the heater vents. Depending how far I have to drive, if short, shut down the heater, open all the windows and stick my head out the window. If longer, have it towed, its the heater core and that sweet smell is a kidney killer, and kidney's cost a heck of a lot more than a piece of crap car. This has been a problem every since glycogen antifreeze came out in the 50's and Dex-cool is not any different.

Also had a squeak in my brand new 2012 Cruze, was in the console lid. Took it off and apart, all the screws were tight, but was plastic against plastic. Cut a thin piece of weather strip foam, posted this about four years ago, solved that problem.

Cruze has a weird air exhaust system, for years, the doors weather strip was on the outside of the doors with escape vents on the rear door jams. The air on the Cruze escapes between the front and rear doors at the window level. If you put your mode in vents, engine off, blower at maximum, and feel that rush of air between the front and rear doors at the window level.

For what ever reason, the outside weather strip on my Cruze had a 1/4" gap in the upper rear corner of the driver's door. Bit of a battle with my Chevy dealer, but got that replaced with one without a gap. Had to grab him by his hand and drag him outside to see other Cruze's where the weather strip fit flush with the window. This solved that very annoying wind noise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Today they fixed the squeaky seat. They removed the drivers front seat base cover and cushion to gain access to seat frame pivots, where squeak was coming from, removed the rear of seat back and lubricated hinges, the squeak stopped. I am happy with the fix, hopefully this hinges doesn't get dry too fast....

The steering wheel... yesterday they took photos of it and sent to their GM warranty manager, or something like that, they says that this manager deals with a bunch of GM dealers so It could take a while to get a response from him, I asked him to email him again... let's hope this GM warranty manager gives the them the go ahead soon.

Everything else will have to wait, they didn't have time to address the other issues today, ill probably make other appointment next week to get this figured out.

Thanks again for the responses!

Ah, I have a question, is any1 around here good with lease contracts? I have a few questions and wanted to ask someone with knowledge about Lease/buying contracts, I am looking at the contract we have and I have a few questions about it, and honestly I don't know how much I can trust the freaking dealer.... if you can help me a bit with this please send me a PM. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts