Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

How worried should I be? Intercooler/oil

1645 19
I did some PM on my ‘14 diesel today (oil and transmission fluid). I have 107k on this one which is still factory, my other not so much. After I dropped the under shield I noticed oil pooled on it. Approximately 1/4 quart. It was last off a month ago. Anyway, I traced the leak to the intercooler outlet at the bottom of the pipe. The pipe seems to have a bit of play but I do understand it is just the horseshoe type clamp on it. Or is there more to it? More importantly I am worried about the quantity of oil there and am concerned about the turbo seal possibly leaking. No loss of power. ANY help would be awesome! Thanks in advance
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2011 1.4L 2LT 6A
92 Posts
I did some PM on my ‘14 diesel today (oil and transmission fluid). I have 107k on this one which is still factory, my other not so much. After I dropped the under shield I noticed oil pooled on it. Approximately 1/4 quart. It was last off a month ago. Anyway, I traced the leak to the intercooler outlet at the bottom of the pipe. The pipe seems to have a bit of play but I do understand it is just the horseshoe type clamp on it. Or is there more to it? More importantly I am worried about the quantity of oil there and am concerned about the turbo seal possibly leaking. No loss of power. ANY help would be awesome! Thanks in advance
Oh, that's a fairly common failure point. The seal goes bad, happened on mine, it's not a massive deal, just replace it. If you have the money I'd recommend replacing the other side pipe too but I didn't when mine failed last month.

· Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, ‘14 volt, ‘72 442
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely an easy swap, so is there a physical seal in the duct? Or just simply the clamp?

the oil present shouldn’t alarm me? Thanks

· Registered
2011 1.4L 2LT 6A
92 Posts
Definitely an easy swap, so is there a physical seal in the duct? Or just simply the clamp?

the oil present shouldn’t alarm me? Thanks
There is an o-ring type deal inside the pipe itself. It can’t be separately serviced. Buy a new one and swap it in.

Oil gets passed through fairly regularly, it’s normal, you’d be surprised. Just fix the leak and you’ll be good to go.

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an o-ring type deal inside the pipe itself. It can’t be separately serviced. Buy a new one and swap it in.

Oil gets passed through fairly regularly, it’s normal, you’d be surprised. Just fix the leak and you’ll be good to go.
Thanks, I knew some oil got through, just wasn’t sure how much was acceptable. Part of the reason (combined with soot and EGR) that nasty build up gets collected in these intakes. Thanks again man.

· Super Moderator
7,369 Posts
Could you please list the part numbers of the items to be replaced?

Reactions: MP81

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could you please list the part numbers of the items to be replaced?
Intercooler air inlet hose 95472183
Intercooler air outlet hose 19420422
Air inlet tube gasket 13247992
Air inlet tube seal 22979688

my outlet is leaking, I’m going to replace both while I’m at it. 107k on it and I’ve only had this one for 1k of those mile. Still trying to get it all bandaged up…all minor so far

· Registered
2011 1.4T Cruze
43 Posts
i clean my intercooler every season change there's always oil in there i use gasoline to clean it out than water and wd40 to get all the water & moisture out but its normal as long as its not pouring out when you take it off and tip over before cleaning drips are ok water fountain not ok

· Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I can rebuild a 350 and TH400 in my sleep…but with that said, this is my first turbocharged car (I’m 40), and FWD for that matter. Sounds like a farm boy cleaning…I like it! The hose has probably never been off, not sure.

· Registered
2011 1.4T Cruze
43 Posts
Thanks. I can rebuild a 350 and TH400 in my sleep…but with that said, this is my first turbocharged car (I’m 40), and FWD for that matter. Sounds like a farm boy cleaning…I like it! The hose has probably never been off, not sure.
yeah probably not and thats "city boy cleaning" kinda have to clean and check everything regularly since im pushing 305whp out of my 1.4T i beat the s*** out of it everytime i drive it recently blew water outlet coolant fried ecu so waiting on new ecu and heater core too i guess .. the 2.0 turbos&intercoolers are pretty much the same idea and probs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.