Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Finally ordered a quality amplifier for myself, an Infinity Kappa Four. So excited about this one. But I want this to be the last time I will have to mess with anything relating to my install, so i am going to hammer out the little kinks that are annoying the **** out of me. First off, I hate these types of terminals. I wish they would make all of these amplifiers with flat plate terminals so that we could use simple spade connectors and be done with it. But why make something so easy?
Anyways, I wanted to know how you guys would connect the speaker wire and power/ground wire to this amplifier. I thought about banana plugs, but they don't seem like the best option since they are ovular, and the screw will want to crush them into a more square shape. Any ideas on the type of connectors to use?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I've never found a dislike for those connections, always have worked fine for me. Why the hate for them?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
For screw terminals, I've always stripped the insulation back about 1/2", or enough to wrap all the way around the screw. Then I tin the exposed wire with some rosin cored solder and a small soldering iron. When cool, you now have a wire that is bendable into a loop to go around the screw and will hold up to the grip of the screw head. or to plug into and be held by a clamping screw. Never did like crimp on lugs. Always soldered them on too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim. I had a similar idea about tinning the wire. Sounds like my best bet. But now I ask, what do you do about your 8ga wire for the power and ground. I mean, I don't see how we could tin these as they are very thick and always a tight fit as is.

And I do not like these terminals simply because of surface contact area. If you have a flat plate that you lay a metal connector on, and screw it down flat, you will have much better contact than clamping wire in a hole basically.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kinda costly, but you could go with wire ferrules. You will need to buy the crimper and appropriate gauge ferrules. I use these all the time in industrial electrical panels and they look very professional and tighten very secure into terminals. They are also required when wiring safety circuits in many automotive plants.

Greenlee WIRE FERRULES - Made for the Tradeâ„¢

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do agree with you... I would have preferred terminating the with a spade connector also.

I have the Kappa Five version of this amp. All I did was I took my time and stripped the wire insulation back so that there is no exposed wire outside of the terminal, but yet the wire is all the way bottomed out inside. If you take your time and do it correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Thanks Jim. I had a similar idea about tinning the wire. Sounds like my best bet. But now I ask, what do you do about your 8ga wire for the power and ground. I mean, I don't see how we could tin these as they are very thick and always a tight fit as is.
Bigger soldering iron, more solder. Then file, or grind, down to fit the socket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts