Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove on freeway 300 mile trip, half way here howling type (resonating) sound started. can quite figure out where it is coming from. annoying, but comes and goes, constant for a few minutes then stops, and comes back at slightly different pitches. below 60 mph does not make the sound.

thought windshield, neighbor said could be engine at high speeds.... have to drive back tomorrow, no dealer open to look at.

any advice on what it may be. car only has 1500 miles on it - 2015 chevy cruze

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Record the noise and take it to your dealership.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Do you have anything (such as a luggage pod) on the roof?
Do you have ventvisors installed......or anything that could disrupt airflow around the car body?

My initial thoughts revolve around wind noise because of the speed involved.

Possibly a day the wind was coming at the car from a quarterly direction......as in 45 degrees from the front center.

If you can get it to do it, as an experiment, turn around and run at the same speed......see what changes.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
And don't overlook the type of surface you are driving on. The tread of your tires could interact with the road surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luggage rack, drove same road last month going other way. stopped part of the way, and thumped on windshield molding and reset wipers, thinking maybe something was stuck up. still did. will go different way home, and get some blue tape and if it does tape windshield to see if it still does. recorded sound on my phone, it was pretty loud. Harmonic type sound. did sound like maybe wind, or if I got behind truck, went away. Just bought car May 14, nothing special on it. Never had this before.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
Based on your behind a truck comment it's either windshield or side mirror mount. Some of the 2011s had whistling from the driver's side mirror mount. Annoying but not a mechanical issue fortunately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts