Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new fuel filter, part #23456595 for my CTD a few weeks ago. I finally got around to installing it today. When I finally got the old fuel filter out, I realized it looked different than the new one I have. The new one I have is nearly identical, except it does not have any tabs or circle on the bottom which secures it into the housing. When I double checked, sure enough, the filter they sent me was part #23459023 even though invoice had the correct part #.

So now I have a car sitting (in the garage, fortunately), with no fuel filter.

Fortunately, I haven't contaminated the old one, but I'm curious if it would hurt to reinstall it until I can get a new one shipped to me. Would draining it and shifting it around loosen any trapped particles that could end up going downstream in the fuel system if I were to reinstall it for a little while?

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
If I recall correctly there was a design change. The one I installed looked different as you described it. Been running it for some time now without problem.
@diesel will know more.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I recall correctly there was a design change. The one I installed looked different as you described it. Been running it for some time now without problem.
@diesel will know more.
You're correct. The original part #was 22937279, but was changed to #23456595.
@revjpeterson talked about the difference in diesel's DIY fuel filter thread

As I mentioned in another thread, I ran across a new second part number while shopping for my fuel filter. I ordered the new part number 23456595 last week (Amazon - $78 with free shipping) and installed this afternoon. The dimensions looked identical to the OEM filter that I took out, and it contained the same O-rings as the kit with the other part number that everyone has been using. The only difference I could identify is that the circle of plastic tabs that goes around the bottom of the filter in the picture at FUEL FILTER | Genuine GM | 22937279 was now a solid circle instead of 6 tabs. Fit was good and everything worked after the initial priming of the system, so perhaps the change to the design of the bottom is the reason for the part number change or maybe it's a new supplier. Either way it works, though, so it seems it is safe to order 23456595 for the CTD fuel filters.
The fuel filter I received was neither of the above with the primary difference being that it does not have either the six tabs or the full circle at all. There is no way for it to "latch" into the filter housing.​

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
10-4. Now I understand. Glad you're not SOL.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@PanJet, hang it upside down tonight so it can drain all night . That'll at least get the water and residual debris , if any , out of it. Reinstall and prime till you get the new one.

I often do this with my Verado ( outboard) filters and get more life out of them as well,with no issues. I don't believe the filters get so dirty as they get water accumulation. You think diesels have it bad. Try mixing gasoline , water , boats and running on the water. Water water everywhere , but not a drop to drink!!! I typically go through at least 2 water/fuel separators a season on a boat.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think I've always used the original design filters in mine. I think my dealership had a stock of them or something and I am the only CTD they service. No issues. You've probably already reinstalled your old filter and I would not worry one bit about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts