Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The interior fan speed on my 2012 LS is pathetic. positions 1,2,3 are pretty much useless and 4 is ok. What I need to do is find another cruze and try the fan and see if its the same as mine. I bought the car with 24k miles so I don't know if this is what it should be or mine has a problem. Anyone else experience this ?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This was fixed in 2013. The 2011 and 2012s have fan speeds of

sleeping mouse breath
awake mouse breath
running mouse breath
hurricane

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
They're all like that. I rarely need to put my AC above fan speed 3, but that's mostly because the car dogs down and I can't stand the leafblower in the dash on fan speed 4.

Change the cabin filter if you haven't - a clogged one will REALLY restrict air flow. Shutting the right-most vent helps a lot too if you don't have a passenger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was this a recall or just an upgrade. I tried to get the dealership to look at it but they said I was out of warranty because of the build date was july. which to me is a load of crap. I said to the service writer you mean to tell me the car was sold the day it was built.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're all like that. I rarely need to put my AC above fan speed 3, but that's mostly because the car dogs down and I can't stand the leafblower in the dash on fan speed 4.

Change the cabin filter if you haven't - a clogged one will REALLY restrict air flow. Shutting the right-most vent helps a lot too if you don't have a passenger.

my fan speed 4 is not that good or loud

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you fan speeds are low on the first 3 and fast on the last one you may have a bad resistor. I had grandprix that had one that went out and only the highest setting would do anything. Not sure were its located in the cruze but in the grandprix it was in air passage near the fan.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If you fan speeds are low on the first 3 and fast on the last one you may have a bad resistor. I had grandprix that had one that went out and only the highest setting would do anything. Not sure were its located in the cruze but in the grandprix it was in air passage near the fan.
I'm pretty sure the Cruze uses PWM - essentially the computer acts as a resistor following a program.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
This was fixed in 2013. The 2011 and 2012s have fan speeds of

sleeping mouse breath
awake mouse breath
running mouse breath
hurricane
It may be better, but it ain't great. I find myself wanting a setting between 3 and 4.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Based on time and mileage my money is on a loaded cabin filter…….Out of all my cars, none gunks up a filter as quickly as my 2012 Cruze.

With a new filter, the fan output changes dramatically.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Was this a recall or just an upgrade. I tried to get the dealership to look at it but they said I was out of warranty because of the build date was july. which to me is a load of crap. I said to the service writer you mean to tell me the car was sold the day it was built.
The writer is making up his own Warranty rules as its not the build date but the In Service Date

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Based on time and mileage my money is on a loaded cabin filter…….Out of all my cars, none gunks up a filter as quickly as my 2012 Cruze.

With a new filter, the fan output changes dramatically.
Good call, probably what is happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The writer is making up his own Warranty rules as its not the build date but the In Service Date
That was the date the dealer gave me. I checked with the vin search and the date was the same as what the dealer told me. I am going to have a carfax done and see when the first owner took posession. Its possible that this was a fleet vehicle and the build date and date of sale would be the same. And I am not making up my own warranty rules , just trying to understand it better

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
The warranty tool should show the date and mileage the car was put in service. For instance, mines a 10/11 build date but I didn't buy the car until 4/12. I think the service writer probably misspoke. The build date can be found inside your drivers side door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The warranty tool should show the date and mileage the car was put in service. For instance, mines a 10/11 build date but I didn't buy the car until 4/12. I think the service writer probably misspoke. The build date can be found inside your drivers side door.
I thought that too. But he said like three times.Ha Ha. I will look on the door. Thanks for the info.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
The interior fan speed on my 2012 LS is pathetic. positions 1,2,3 are pretty much useless and 4 is ok. What I need to do is find another cruze and try the fan and see if its the same as mine. I bought the car with 24k miles so I don't know if this is what it should be or mine has a problem. Anyone else experience this ?
Hello Lethal Tendencies,

We can certainly understand how frustrating it must be to have interior fan concerns during the summer. If you are interested in visiting a GM certified dealership for a diagnosis, we would be happy to help out. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership and contact information. Have a wonderful day!

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 20 Posts