Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up guys? So about 2 months ago I started having HVAC issues with my '11 LT Cruze. The A/C would be blowing like normal and suddenly shut off and come back on a few moments later. It did this 5 or 6 times over the course of a few days before it shut off and wouldn't come back on. I took apart the glove box and dash pieces to get to the blower motor itself to diagnose the issue. Well, once I got down to the blower I turned the fan switch on and to my surprise, it was working through every setting. I left the dash apart for about 4 days just in case it decided to quit on me again and it didn't. I put everything back together and it's worked fine for about 2 months until now. So again, I take the dash and glove box apart, get to the blower and turn the fan switch on and it still won't work. I tested out a few things to find out if I pushed up on the plug itself it would turn on and work like it's supposed to but if I let go of the plug it shut right off. After fighting with the plug for about 2 hours I finally got it out and once I pulled it out I figured out why it wasn't working. The plug connector and the red and black wires about an inch down from the connector were all black and melted together. The end of the connector was completely melted to the plug on the blower motor which was why I couldn't get it out. Long story long, something was shorting out the wiring and melting/burning the connector and wires. The Cruze has a transistor that is supposed to trip with these types of issues, and if the transistor doesn't trip the fuse is supposed to trip. Neither did in my car. From my research, I've seen multiple reports of the same type of issue with the blower turning off randomly or just not working at all and the dealerships seem to just be replacing the blower motors but the issue persists. This is just an FYI to those of you that have or have had this type of issue. Check your wiring, the last thing you want is the wiring issues to start a fire. Oh, and I found the replacement wire harness online for about $28. The pics I've attached are for reference along with the part sticker on my original wire harness.

WIRE - GM (13263281)

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...9Y3J1emUmeT0yMDExJnQ9bHQmZT0xLTRsLWw0LWdhcw==

Finger Crystal Hand Mineral Fashion accessory Cable Technology Electronics accessory Electronic device Networking cables Wire Cable Electrical wiring Networking cables Electrical connector Finger Material property Label Nail

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Wow. I don't like the look of that.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Excellent work, I wonder what caused the overheat situation?

Was your cabin air filter changed regularly? If it gets clogged with leaves and debris (common) the motor has to work way harder developing excess heat.

My mechanic cousin went to replace a CAF on another brand of vehicle and found it had clogged so badly there was a baseball sized hole in the filter. He had to spend a couple hours fishing debris and filter media pieces out of the ducting, remove and clean the motor.

Customer wasn't pleased with the bill. But at least the motor didn't fry or worse yet...a fire.

Thanks again for the post!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent work, I wonder what caused the overheat situation?

Was your cabin air filter changed regularly? If it gets clogged with leaves and debris (common) the motor has to work way harder developing excess heat.

My mechanic cousin went to replace a CAF on another brand of vehicle and found it had clogged so badly there was a baseball sized hole in the filter. He had to spend a couple hours fishing debris and filter media pieces out of the ducting, remove and clean the motor.

Customer wasn't pleased with the bill. But at least the motor didn't fry or worse yet...a fire.

Thanks again for the post!
Cabin air filter was/is clean...I'm hoping it was just a faulty wire harness or at most,a bad blower and not something more serious. Absolutely, anything to help others avoid a car fire, lol.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Oh wow. Wonder if that's related to the Cruzen fire we've seen circulating around FB 23424872492827x.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
The first place I would have looked is the fuse box. Makes me wonder why nothing tripped with that volume of current flowing through that connector.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Long story long, something was shorting out the wiring and melting/burning the connector and wires. The Cruze has a transistor that is supposed to trip with these types of issues, and if the transistor doesn't trip the fuse is supposed to trip. Neither did in my car.
Long story short, that's not a "short" - that's a poor connection. In a poor connection, the current is LOWER than normal, but the power is going into the connector instead of into the blower motor. That's why there was no overload trip - because there was no over-current. Your only warning is slower speed, erratic operation or smell.

The same applies to household wiring as well. If you've got lights that flicker - worry.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Long story short, that's not a "short"

Very well stated, I'd add it's the resistance caused by the poor connection that causes all the heat at the connector-in other words the resistance drops the voltage across the connector which causes it to dissipate the resulting power loss across the connection, All connectors will have milliohm resistance--it's when it goes to ohms that things start to melt, gold plating is the best as well as proper metal alloy

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
gold plating is the best as well as proper metal alloy
Gold is rarely used for power applications. It's usually used for signals.

For power, it's more of a matter of contact area and spring tension.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Could this be part of the logic that turns down the fan if you get a phone call on the bluetooth and start talking. Sounds like that has gone haywire or something. Just a guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.