Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the return of warmer weather my 2012 ECO MT is getting significantly better fuel economy.

25 mile rolling average: 58.8 MPG (4.0L/100 KM)
50 mile rolling average: 52.3 MPG (4.5L/100 KM)
500 mile rolling average: 47.2 MPG

Since I have a 2012 my moving average display maxes out at 50.0 MPG. I measure anything above that using the metric displays. My tank average today went from 46.3 MPG when I left for work to 48.2 MPG when I got home this afternoon.

I think it's safe to say that switching to the Perelli Centurano P7 tires last fall didn't impact my overall fuel economy. My route, for those of you who didn't see it in my 814 mile thread is downhill to work and then uphill home. That 58.8 MPG is an uphill run with the Cruze control set at 55 MPH.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I agree. On Tuesday, it was a balmy 55 degrees on my way home. It was the first time in 6 months that I was able to hit 39MPG AVG on the way home. It's been around 34.Now that it's 17* tonight, it's circling the drain again.

Since I'm a snowmobilier I love the winter and I've had a banner year. But I'm done with the cold and I'm ready for some warmer days.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Been running e10 89 octane in the winter and averaged 27 MPG in my 1.4T.

With the last few warm days I've had e-free 91 octane and already pushing 40 MPG with no change in driving habits.

Warm weather plus no ethanol... nice.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Been running e10 89 octane in the winter and averaged 27 MPG in my 1.4T.

With the last few warm days I've had e-free 91 octane and already pushing 40 MPG with no change in driving habits.

Warm weather plus no ethanol... nice.
I just did a similar switch, was running 88-90 octane E15 fuel most of the winter and was averaging 29mpg, switched to 91 octane no ethanol on march 1st. First fill up was 36.5MPG!

In cold weather I saw little or no difference using no ethanol fuel(or premium for that matter), but I also idle allot more than normal with 3-5 minutes of remote start use daily. Running the cheaper fuel in the winter helped keep my cost per mile within 1 cent of my summer average of 10.7 cents per mile.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Still cold here... was only 10F this morning on my way in. This is still a HUGE improvement over the sub-0F weather we've been plagued with for most of the season. My DIC read 48MPG from my trip into work this morning - things are looking up!

Despite having some warm spikes here and there, my overall mileage still suffered many cold mornings and stiff head winds and my last four fills have returned between 39-42 MPG. Come-on SPRING! You're so close my nose is already running from the inevitable allergen influx but we're still getting snowed on!

In three weeks time the snow should be gone and I should have a 2-3 MPG handicap removed with the switch back to the good-ol LRR GoodYears from my X-ice winters.

·
10,712 Posts
Got warm enough to wear shorts and BBQ for 2 days. Overnight it snowed enough to come up to the bottom of the ECO rim. Need to move out of Cleveland. NJ weather isn't any better but it's not as temperamental.

My mpg went up for a few then I was spinning tires on unplowed freeways main and side streets a lot. Can't wait for summer fuel and stable temps. NGK may get recapped by summer if not before.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I'm wondering if the reformulated summer gas is starting to come out as the gas prices have gone up and I am getting 43.2 mpg on my current tank (315 miles) as compared to 35-36 mpg for the past 4 months.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are you guys saying that it is safe for me to lay up my snowblower for the summer over here in southeastern Massachusetts? It gets 2 gallons per mile and they are hard, hard miles.
Probably not :)

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tend to leave my best averages alone. I'll reset them right before I head to Lordstown - looking for somewhere in excess of 57 MPG (pump measured) on the first day's drive.

·
10,712 Posts
Are you guys resetting your average with every tank or just letting it avg out
I sat it to 25 miles and left it.

Trip 1 is last fill up and trip 2 is last oil change.

I shovelled off the top portion of my deck on Sunday since it was just above freezing and the sun was out... now there's 4-5" of snow on it and I can no longer see my BBQ. :(
Move here if you want to BBQ early. It's raining now melting the snow I was just talking about. You need to already have supplies on hand and just do it. You go to the store and that window will close rapidly.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Are you guys resetting your average with every tank or just letting it avg out
Trip 2 is current tank, trip 1 is lifetime.

I've noticed mine going up as well. Even with the cold temps this week, and driving it in some snow, My average is currently 33.9 with a 29 mph ave. It was about this last year too.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
I sat it to 25 miles and left it.

Trip 1 is last fill up and trip 2 is last oil change.

Move here if you want to BBQ early. It's raining now melting the snow I was just talking about. You need to already have supplies on hand and just do it. You go to the store and that window will close rapidly.

Sent from my iFail 5s
BBQ = roasted pig.

Cook out = burgers and hot dogs and stuff on a grill.

Silly Yanks :)

More seriously though, I'm seeing numbers in the mid 30s again in in-town driving. Which means well into the 40s for a good highway trip.

Yellow Facial expression Cartoon Head Organ

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Trip 1 is current tank, trip 2 is for individual trips. I use an app and online tracking methods to keep track of my lifetime mileage, and since this is based on odometer readings and fuel pumped, is more accurate than the DIC.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts