Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from reading we have lots of members planning on going to the lords town meeting this year. A lot are not local including my self. Now i do 80% city driving in my CTD so a hypercruze badge is not easy to get. Im curious how many of us are planning on using the long treck there to get it? Im departing from Fort Myers Florida to lords town, this is a 1,215 miles there and 2,430 round trip. my aim is 800 miles per tank minimum and according to my math 3.0375 tanks round trip ( assuming i can get the 800 miles out of my full tank).

ill be leaving quite early and Cc the whole way at 65 mph, tires at 41 psi. The thing that will hurt me is if i take my camping stuff to save on hotels since it adds weight in addition to me bringing the girlfriend and she adds weight. this will be a rare chance to hyper mile all the way there. hope its cold enough i can keep my A/C off to save some fuel.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,790 Posts
I won't be going to Lordstown, but we'll be driving down to Raleigh to visit the in-laws around Easter. I'll be shooting for it then.

·
2,168 Posts
I'm still not sure weather or not I will be able to go, looking more like no than yes this year. But I think this is a great idea, might as well use the long highway trip to obtain the hypercruzer badge!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
in addition to me bringing the girlfriend and she adds weight.
Careful with that one!

I'm coming from Toronto, Ontario. That's about a 5 and a half hour drive at a total distance of around 330 miles. Good luck with your attempt.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it may not be much weight,a tiny small amount that's hardly noticeable and looks great in that dress lol. i even considered removing the rear seats sincei never use them and have them folded down most the time... but i read they are a ROYAL PITA to do.

Reactions: LiveTrash

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I'd love to award more HyperCruzer badges. Go for it folks - just remember that if you're brave enough to post that you ran out of gas I will reply with a HyperFailure badge. :)

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
For the knowledge base: Weight reduction will impact around town mileage......you have to get all the mass moving with each startout.

At speed though, with correct tire pressure and normal loading (means leave the two anvils at home) weight has minimal impact.

To the OP....If you want to see how good it can get, go for maximum sidewall tire pressure....in your case, 51 psi. Trust me, the ride will not be as intense as you might think.

I've kept my eco at 50 psi since new and often break 50 mpg on still days, flat roads, keeping it at 65.....You should do better.

Rob

·
2,168 Posts
I'd love to award more HyperCruzer badges. Go for it folks - just remember that if you're brave enough to post that you ran out of gas I will reply with a HyperFailure badge. :)
Has anyone been awarded this badge? If not, I will make it a goal to get it since it will be the most exclusive category to belong to.

Reactions: pandrad61 and Tomko

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Has anyone been awarded this badge? If not, I will make it a goal to get it since it will be the most exclusive category to belong to.
Tomko has both a HyperCruzer (gold if I remember correctly) and a HyperFailure badge. The HyperFailure badge isn't a badge we can award but you can add it to your signature block.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Tomko has both a HyperCruzer (gold if I remember correctly) and a HyperFailure badge. The HyperFailure badge isn't a badge we can award but you can add it to your signature block.
Nope. No hyerfailure for me. I ran dry once in my 9C1 about 20 years ago but not since.

If I recall correctly my hypercruzer came from Lordstown II. I made no modifications. Ran the tire placard pressures. Used my AC as normal and even drove through bad rainstorms. I did nothing to lighten the vehicle. I had luggage and distilled water on board for my wife and her dog. Plus, the little woman is actually a big girl. So the message here is that it can be done without any special effort. Just use your cruise control.

Reactions: obermd

·
2,168 Posts
Very jealous of your CTD mileage, upon fill up my 1.4T only says 380 miles til empty :(
That really doesn't mean anything except that you didn't get very good gas mileage on the last tank of fuel. If you drove extremely careful, you could probably make it say 380 mi to empty for at least 150 miles of driving.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
That really doesn't mean anything except that you didn't get very good gas mileage on the last tank of fuel. If you drove extremely careful, you could probably make it say 380 mi to empty for at least 150 miles of driving.
Oh I didn't realize the previous tank of gas mattered....and yeah driving carefully isn't my strong suit, but on long trips (like this Lordstown one) I do try to be more careful to make the gas last.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So from reading we have lots of members planning on going to the lords town meeting this year. A lot are not local including my self. Now i do 80% city driving in my CTD so a hypercruze badge is not easy to get. Im curious how many of us are planning on using the long treck there to get it? Im departing from Fort Myers Florida to lords town, this is a 1,215 miles there and 2,430 round trip. my aim is 800 miles per tank minimum and according to my math 3.0375 tanks round trip ( assuming i can get the 800 miles out of my full tank).

ill be leaving quite early and Cc the whole way at 65 mph, tires at 41 psi. The thing that will hurt me is if i take my camping stuff to save on hotels since it adds weight in addition to me bringing the girlfriend and she adds weight. this will be a rare chance to hyper mile all the way there. hope its cold enough i can keep my A/C off to save some fuel.
A head or tail wind will be your biggest factor for MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
For the knowledge base: Weight reduction will impact around town mileage......you have to get all the mass moving with each startout.

At speed though, with correct tire pressure and normal loading (means leave the two anvils at home) weight has minimal impact.

To the OP....If you want to see how good it can get, go for maximum sidewall tire pressure....in your case, 51 psi. Trust me, the ride will not be as intense as you might think.

I've kept my eco at 50 psi since new and often break 50 mpg on still days, flat roads, keeping it at 65.....You should do better.

Rob
I agree and this is based on sound logic, but and i hope this doesn't happen; if i run into some slower highway traffic it will be speed up and slow down and that will be where minimal weight will help. luckily i have 2 full tank runs in the trip so even if traffic f up my results i have attempt #2 on the way back.

i also REALLY hope a few of the engineers are there. i would love to know that during testing what is the optimal speed for the CTD to achieve max highway mpg? i know slower is less fuel an hour but there has to be a sweet spot in the engine TQ X the gearing vs drag.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Rob
im not worried at all on 51 psi. i drive my 95 zj with mud terrains, my cbr1000, and use to drive my supra on really hard sidewalled performance tires... yah even the cruze on coil overs and rough tires is still more comfortable lol

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
A head or tail wind will be your biggest factor for MPG.
While these are big, overall driving style will have even more impact.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I agree and this is based on sound logic, but and i hope this doesn't happen; if i run into some slower highway traffic it will be speed up and slow down and that will be where minimal weight will help. luckily i have 2 full tank runs in the trip so even if traffic f up my results i have attempt #2 on the way back.

i also REALLY hope a few of the engineers are there. i would love to know that during testing what is the optimal speed for the CTD to achieve max highway mpg? i know slower is less fuel an hour but there has to be a sweet spot in the engine TQ X the gearing vs drag.
The optimal speed in any car, gas or diesel, for fuel economy is the slowest speed you can keep the car in it's top gear without the car constantly downshifting for minor uphills.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
While these are big, overall driving style will have even more impact.
Well I was assuming driving on the interstate with the cruze control on, so that pretty much eliminates any "lead foot" style driving per say.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts