Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got that ticket in the mail, I have been trying to slow down and not run thru the gears like I did before. All I can say is that I am seeing some pretty awesome MPG(like I have never seen with this car)Right now the instant MPG is showing 38 or 39 MPG and that is mainly city driving. Any more I have been driving and everyone that wants to pass me is more than welcome to! I have given up with trying to be #1 and just enjoy the drive. Much more relaxing!!! and I may just yet earn one of those badges? Now I know it is possible and all my MPG problems were caused by my driving not something wrong with the car!!!!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
Yeah and another Yeah .
I used to putt around in 6 th gear doing 35 .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in the same boat Patman. In my 20s, I drove aggressively and always in a hurry. Now that I'm in my 30s with a kid, I care more about safety and MPG than revving the **** out of the car. And the Eco really rewards frugal driving.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a 1.4 auto but it to is very sensitive to my foot! I've been experimenting with it over the past couple months and realized that slowing down to 70 will net me at least 3-4 more MPG. It goes up from there but unfortunately its not safe to run much slower in my neck of the woods! I think 90 is the norm.. I spent one week at 65 or below and saw my millage go from about 28 up to 34, I'd love to have a good long stretch of 55 MPH highway, I bet it would do the 36+.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Cruze CTD easily goes into the 50s on highway and more like 60s if youre really gentle on the pedal. We've got some HyperCruzers averaging in the 60s wth their CTDs.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Ever since I got that ticket in the mail, I have been trying to slow down and not run thru the gears like I did before. All I can say is that I am seeing some pretty awesome MPG(like I have never seen with this car)Right now the instant MPG is showing 38 or 39 MPG and that is mainly city driving. Any more I have been driving and everyone that wants to pass me is more than welcome to! I have given up with trying to be #1 and just enjoy the drive. Much more relaxing!!! and I may just yet earn one of those badges? Now I know it is possible and all my MPG problems were caused by my driving not something wrong with the car!!!!
Not all. You did have a brake dragging for a couple of years.

My ECO MT is really sensitive. When I limit my commuting speed to 60 (65 MPH posted) I return tank after tank in the 44-46 MPG (pump measured) range. If I boost my speed to 65 my car returns 41-43 MPG. Remember, this is combined MPG so it includes some city and congested rush hour traffic.

On my 814 mile tank I never exceeded 60 MPH.

·
2,168 Posts
I think hypermiling is really stressful. I have to concentrate so hard when I'm driving efficiently to get the most mpgs. Trying to gain speed on downhill stretches then trying not to accelerate going uphill while not losing too much speed, otherwise I have to downshift or bog the engine. Then I have to essentially never use the brake but always stay in 6th gear. Every time I brake, I'm very conscious that I am turning glorious kinetic energy into heat and brake dust. So I try to leave a good distance in between me and the person in front so if they brake or turn, I don't have to slow down but then people behind me are angry I'm going slow and leaving a gap. Every single time I have to hit the brakes, or accelerate from a stop, or someone pulls out in front of me and I have to downshift, or they brake unnecessarily going downhill, I'm fully aware that I am losing mpg and it's just as infuriating as slow drivers pacing semi-trucks in the left lane when I'm just trying to get my cruise set back to 81mph.

Note: Winter is awful for efficiency, the dense air requires more fuel to burn properly, and cold starts are awful, the car has to run rich while it's warming up and it takes so much longer to get to operating temp. Plus the additives in winter gas blends aren't great for efficiency either.

·
2,254 Posts
Ugh. I live in hilly terrain and it is impossible to hypermile. Constant stop and go with the darn Amish horse and buggies, and navigating Akron traffic is tough, you have to keep your foot into it so you don't get run over. Since I've had the car I've averaged 32 MPG.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
For me it's a toss up, non LRR tires and eco manual grille swapped with the Z Spec I anticipated a slight drop. Some days I could beat my score of 46 and then some days I hover around 29. Still running Pal tune for this OCI and probably will return to SAT afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I think hypermiling is really stressful. I have to concentrate so hard when I'm driving efficiently to get the most mpgs. Trying to gain speed on downhill stretches then trying not to accelerate going uphill while not losing too much speed, otherwise I have to downshift or bog the engine. Then I have to essentially never use the brake but always stay in 6th gear. Every time I brake, I'm very conscious that I am turning glorious kinetic energy into heat and brake dust. So I try to leave a good distance in between me and the person in front so if they brake or turn, I don't have to slow down but then people behind me are angry I'm going slow and leaving a gap. Every single time I have to hit the brakes, or accelerate from a stop, or someone pulls out in front of me and I have to downshift, or they brake unnecessarily going downhill, I'm fully aware that I am losing mpg and it's just as infuriating as slow drivers pacing semi-trucks in the left lane when I'm just trying to get my cruise set back to 81mph.

Note: Winter is awful for efficiency, the dense air requires more fuel to burn properly, and cold starts are awful, the car has to run rich while it's warming up and it takes so much longer to get to operating temp. Plus the additives in winter gas blends aren't great for efficiency either.
I agree, I HATED taking off from lights at such a snail's pace just to keep good mpgs, and it's extremely stressful on the interstate when everyone else is going at least 15mph faster than you (because who goes the speed limit) and then when you actually come up on slower traffic, good luck passing them without speeding up, and good luck not getting honked at and flipped off when you pass them going 1mph faster than they are lmao. I did it once and the results were awesome and felt great, but with the added stress totally not worth it to me.

·
10,712 Posts
I agree, I HATED taking off from lights at such a snail's pace just to keep good mpgs, and it's extremely stressful on the interstate when everyone else is going at least 15mph faster than you (because who goes the speed limit) and then when you actually come up on slower traffic, good luck passing them without speeding up, and good luck not getting honked at and flipped off when you pass them going 1mph faster than they are lmao. I did it once and the results were awesome and felt great, but with the added stress totally not worth it to me.
For me I just pass then resume normal reasonable speeds again. That person doing 29 in a 45 is more irritating than me trying to pick 4th or 5th gear as they teeter between 29 and 31. Same person will now get to the reduced speed sign and school zone and speed up to that speed they should have been that entire time before. Adaptive cruise could possibly help me out on that one issue since some people can't pick a speed on a flat road with no curves.

I used to focus on the eco tabs but now I just rest on the digital speed tab. If there is cars behind me 1st gear may see 3k rev but 2nd and 3rd usually go eco shifts again.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
For me I just pass then resume normal reasonable speeds again. That person doing 29 in a 45 is more irritating than me trying to pick 4th or 5th gear as they teeter between 29 and 31. Same person will now get to the reduced speed sign and school zone and speed up to that speed they should have been that entire time before. Adaptive cruise could possibly help me out on that one issue since some people can't pick a speed on a flat road with no curves.

I used to focus on the eco tabs but now I just rest on the digital speed tab. If there is cars behind me 1st gear may see 3k rev but 2nd and 3rd usually go eco shifts again.
I've just come to terms with the fact that I'll never have better than 25mpg average haha. Which is fine, I get where I want to go and I get there quickly.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ugh. I live in hilly terrain and it is impossible to hypermile. Constant stop and go with the darn Amish horse and buggies, and navigating Akron traffic is tough, you have to keep your foot into it so you don't get run over. Since I've had the car I've averaged 32 MPG.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Really never been to Cincinnati then. I live is on the top of a hill (Mt.Airy) and there is so much stop and go via lights or construction and if you are not stuck in either of those, you have someone right on your bumper about to run you over or seemingly rear end you. Yesterday I was going up one of the back ways up to where I live and some guy in a Camry was glued to my bumper so I resolved that issue really quickly. On this hilly windy road he was no where to be seen once gave it a little gas.? For the most part that is something I will not do anymore as that is what kills my MPG. They can wait.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
I never cared too much how I drove and my 2012 still got great MPG for what it was and what I was used to. One of the things I loved about the car.

I had an average of 33 mpg over the 4 years I had the car in a heavy city driving bias. If I accelerate at a moderate pace - not Prius/minivan slow, and not Subaru race boys that zoom away from lights just to be stuck at the next one, I could usually stay above 30 in town if it wasn't winter.

Highway was easy in that car. Keep it under 77 mph and 40 mpg was almost guaranteed. If I were to slow down or travel back roads, upper 40s was within reach. Saw 50s briefly a couple times. If you can keep an Eco in that top gear without running out of torque, higher numbers should be easy.

If the new one manages the same mid 30s with the automatic - well, besides the new Civic, it doesn't have a whole lot of competition that can match that at the same size. And if I need them to, neither one had a problem merging or getting out of its own way - a lot more than I can say for something like a Corolla or Sentra.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies as hypermiling but so far in my '13 1.4l gas cruze I'm averaging 38.4mpg with 17,700 miles on her.

Guys is it ok to use standard fuel injector cleaner for the cruze? This is my first turbo car and I think it's time for a bottle of treatment.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Cruze CTD does not like to hit 6th gear till you are above 40mph.
I was checking this A.M. switching back and forth between manual and automatic and found that it finally switched to 6th about 42mph. I can do that on back dirt roads in the summer, but in winter you're asking to kiss a tree.

I bet this is another reason for poorer fuel economy in the winter, not getting up to a consistent speed above 45mph soon enough and maintaining it for long enough.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
The Cruze CTD does not like to hit 6th gear till you are above 40mph.
I was checking this A.M. switching back and forth between manual and automatic and found that it finally switched to 6th about 42mph. I can do that on back dirt roads in the summer, but in winter you're asking to kiss a tree.

I bet this is another reason for poorer fuel economy in the winter, not getting up to a consistent speed above 45mph soon enough and maintaining it for long enough.
Interesting. The gas ones are exactly 42 mph as well. And yeah, it annoys me when people don't maintain that and it won't go into its top gear and is instead hovering around 2000 RPM.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Funny this topic resurfaced today, earlier I was comparing avg mpg stats between the ‘14 CTD and the ‘09 VW TDI.

Now that I have over a year of data (27,000+ miles) the Gen 1 Cruze diesel overall average is 45.5 mpg vs the TDI average 42 mpg.

AND the Chevy does it without cheating emissions (as far as I know anyway...still having trust issues after the VW).

Best tank so far was 54.0 mpg and 1,0000.2 miles on 18.5 gallons of diesel. But that was all 55-60 mph highway, 250 mile legs with perhaps 10 miles of city between legs.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/193-gen1-diesel-fuel-economy/167746-going-1-000-mile-tank-12.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts