Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, one of my (now formerly) more trusted sources of news is propagating the false claims by Hyndai to have top fuel economy in the class:Hyundai's Elantra Pushes Honda Civic's Redesign - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

Which are even the ongoing subject of an ongoing lawsuit, IIRC.

When I check Fuelly.com, the Elantra is below the Cruze, Civic, and Ford Focus in mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Or, its more Hyundai is just geared specifically for the EPA tests. You know the auto manufacturers know the test.. why not gear it for that 58 mph highway cycle? The difference simply becomes, no one actually drives like that. I don't dispute the 40 MPG claim, you just won't see it at 60+ mph.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Or, its more Hyundai is just geared specifically for the EPA tests. You know the auto manufacturers know the test.. why not gear it for that 58 mph highway cycle? The difference simply becomes, no one actually drives like that. I don't dispute the 40 MPG claim, you just won't see it at 60+ mph.
I second this. I honestly have no sympathy for ignorance when it comes to a major purchase like this. There's no reason to sue because you failed to do research beyond what you see right in front of you. I'm a little cynical when it comes to that stuff though. :/

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second this. I honestly have no sympathy for ignorance when it comes to a major purchase like this. There's no reason to sue because you failed to do research beyond what you see right in front of you. I'm a little cynical when it comes to that stuff though. :/

But it happens all the time. Brand image is more about perception than facts. That's the sad truth.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
We knew the ECO MT would eventually lose its MPG leadership for non-electric assist, but not yet. Looking at the Fuelly charts for the Elantra Sedan (4 door) the Elantra has a "classic" bell curve with the peak running from 28-31 MPG. The Cruze has two peaks. The first peak is a strong peak at 30-31 MPG, which is probably all the non-ECO Cruzen on Fuelly. The second peak is a little more spread out at 39-41 MPG. This peak is the ECO, most likely the MT version. Based on looking at these graphs the Elantra isn't even close to the Cruze ECO MT. Looking at the shape of the low end of MPG the Cruze appears to be better in worst case, rapidly dropping off below 27 MPG. The Elantra's low end MPG drops more slowly starting at 26 MPG.

Note - there really aren't very many of either car on Fuelly so this analysis is based on a bare minimum of vehicles needed to form a good sample.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test drove a Ford Focus and a Hyundai Elantra before I looked at the Cruze. Need I say more?
We have some Ford Foci in our motor pool at work. And I was able to put in a couple of 5-6 hours trips in them. My main complaint with the Focus is that they do not have enough knee room under the dash for where I like to sit, and the dash housing is designed with a big sharp seam right where my right knee rests when driving. There's about a 3 mm gap with two sharp edges that haven't even been buffed or anything that rubs your knee all day. Let's just say the car was literally painful to drive. Having driven a Cruze I did not observe this problem. Knees fit fine. Which is why it moved up my list.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I wasn't in the Focus long enough to notice any comfort issues. I didn't like that it had a smaller trunk, no instantaneous mpg readout, and that horrible Ford MyTouch (or whatever it was called). Also, I don't think it could even display outside temperature at the same time as the average mileage readout (or was that the Hyundai?).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't in the Focus long enough to notice any comfort issues. I didn't like that it had a smaller trunk, no instantaneous mpg readout, and that horrible Ford MyTouch (or whatever it was called). Also, I don't think it could even display outside temperature at the same time as the average mileage readout (or was that the Hyundai?).
I have kind of short arms and long legs. So, I sit a notch or two closer than most people with legs my size. So, driver knee room is a big comfort issue for me.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
My friend just bought a 2012 Elantra. Aesthetically, it is a really really nice car. The interior actually looked alot better in person than in pictures. Very spacious. However, it doesn't feel as refined or safe as the Cruze. And the powerband is complete opposite of the Cruze (bad thing). I was never thrown back into my chair when she floored it.

The Focus, just looks like a girls car. Point blank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My friend just bought a 2012 Elantra. Aesthetically, it is a really really nice car. The interior actually looked alot better in person than in pictures. Very spacious. However, it doesn't feel as refined or safe as the Cruze. And the powerband is complete opposite of the Cruze (bad thing). I was never thrown back into my chair when she floored it.

I second that opinion, except for the "aesthetically" nice. I drove the Elantra and the Focus before driving (and buying) the Cruze Eco MT, and those other two are not in the same league, even if they are in the same class. IMO the Cruze is better looking, handles much more crisply, definately accelerates much more quickly, gets better mileage, and is just a nicer car all around. I would challenge an Elantra or Focus to a mileage duel any day of the week.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The resale value on Hyundais is still pretty low. I'm not sure if that's because they're still showing rust after 5 or 6 years or what. They've traditionally had very bad corrosion performance. They extended the corrosion warranties but I'm not sure if that's because they have improved the performance or if it's just so that they can sell more cars in states that use salt on the roads.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
The resale value on Hyundais is still pretty low. I'm not sure if that's because they're still showing rust after 5 or 6 years or what. They've traditionally had very bad corrosion performance. They extended the corrosion warranties but I'm not sure if that's because they have improved the performance or if it's just so that they can sell more cars in states that use salt on the roads.
It seems this is one thing many imports haven't figured out how to do correctly yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts