Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I am having an issue with my first Plastidip project!

10K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
When I spray the Plastidip, it comes out in little blobs. :wtf: Is that normal? Took about six coats to cover the chrome back bar and looks like lizard skin. I have painted a number of vehicles in the past, so even though I'm getting senile, I'm pretty sure it isn't my technique.

Any comments, questions welcomed!

I'll try and post pic's tomorrow.:whatdoyouthink:

#3 ·
The can has been inside for about two weeks. I also brought it inside between coats. Next time I try this, it'll be warmer outside. I took everything apart thinking I would spray inside, but I had forgotten how many wires were now inside there as I added a number of items over the past year, so I just taped it off and let it hang.

#4 ·
Read the directions upon the can and IT will tell ya what ya did !

Plasti Dip ...Plasti Dip ... Yuck ...

#6 ·
Did you clean the part you are Plasti Dipping with an approved solvent to make sure there are no contaminents like oils that prevent adherence of the dip ?

Reactions: Merc6
#9 ·
Maybe it's just a bad can. Definitely sounds like it isn't coming out of the nozzle correctly.

Reactions: Blasirl
#10 ·
^^ that happened to me 1 out of the 4 cans I bought from DipYourCar was bad. It sprayed out in droplets instead of a spray. Followed the directions, had the right temperature. It wasn't a prep issue, it was spraying out poorly. They were total jerks about replacing my can too, poor customer service.

#11 ·
Granted, I've only bought cans of Black or White, but I just pick them up at Home Depot or Lowe's - I bet it'd be way easier to return a bad can there.

Reactions: Merc6 and Blasirl
#14 ·
Ewww yeah that's not looking good at all. That looks like baby's 1st crap that overwhelms the newborn size diapers the hospital gives you when you go home.

I'd also try to take the can back. Glossifier is a sensitive application where how you spray it plus humidity can change if you get gloss or frost look.

#15 ·
Glossifier is a sensitive application where how you spray it plus humidity can change if you get gloss or frost look.
I just ended up with a ton of orange peel. It was shiny, but never felt dry. It seems to have "worn off" the last time I saw it (I used it on the grille on my brother's Buick), though it is still a little shinier than just regular Plasti-Dip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.