Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2012 chevy cruze eco blue topaz 6 speed manual it is completely stock and currently has 5,500 miles. I drive this car 375 miles per day 5 days a week and I just wanted to share my fuel economy experience and my driving habits with everyone else. My last few tanks I have been averaging exactly 49 mpg which has slowly been increasing from 45mpg over the past couple weeks as the engine has gotten a chance to break in after the initial 750 mile break in when I first bought the car brand new. Also I think the increase has to do with an increase in my cold tire pressure from 35 to 38psi which is where I plan to keep it at. And of course the little rise in temperature here in Idaho.

I drive the same route everyday so the only real change on a daily basis is the weather which varys anywhere from 15f to 50f with snow, blowing wind, rain etc.. everything you would expect from the mountains. Obviously these are winter temperatures and I expect to see a change here in the next couple of weeks as spring and summer approachs.

The terrain I drive is 95% freeway and highway starting at an elevation of 2500ft gradually making its way up to 5,250 ft over the course of 175 miles and then I turn around and make that same descent. For the most part the road I drive is straight with light traffic so I can maintain my speed. I drive @ speeds of 56 mph for 1 hr, 61 mph for 4 hours and 72 mph for 1hr 30 minutes all using cruise control. I fill up everyday using chevron regular 87 octane. My tire pressure is now at 38psi after increasing it from factory 35psi.

Like I stated earlier my last few tanks ive been averaging 49mpg with summer blend gas which gas stations will be using here in a few weeks and warmer spring 70f temperatures coming soon I have no doubt I will be averaging 50mpg tanks everyday which is my ultimate goal. This car is more then capable of mid 50's mpg on level terrain at speeds of 56-62 there is no doubt in my mind I see it everyday while driving.

If anyone has any questions about how I drive or where or anything about the car just ask.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on setting up a fuelly account soon. Yes the reported 49mpg is from the DIC but even so this spring and summer when temperatures rise and the summer blend gas is being pumped from the stations I am fairly confident I will be reporting 50mpg from my miles and actual fuel used. I have just been a bit lazy recently not actually doing the math at the pump. But I plan on adding my miles and gallons used and reporting back on this thread. Im pretty sure its still going to be close to 49mpg for now.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
At first I was surprised, then I realized this is all highway driving. The EPA rating is for a 58mpg average, with a 20% reduction, and the kind of grades you're driving up and down explain why you aren't getting in the high 50s like other individual testers have been able to achieve. At 45-50mph consistently, you can actually average ~65mpg if not higher with higher tire pressure.
This is exactly why I have so much respect for this car.

I have noticed this engine is extremely sensitive to the terrain. If the road your driving on is barely rising in elevation you wouldnt notice but you can see it on your instant MPG display. The same goes for when the road is decreasing in elevation because your DIC is showing 60-80mpg and even 99mpg if the grade is steep enough. Im not surprised by the high 50 to mid 60's mpg I see it all the time on the roads I drive its just more difficult to actually average.

Speaking of how sensitive this car is. Last week the wind was gusting accross the freeways and as I was driving sagebrush was making its way across the road and of course I was dodging them as best as I could but 2 or 3 eventually crossed paths with my car. About 15 minutes after hitting the sagebrush I noticed an indicator light on my display screen so I dialed up onstar and asked for a vehicle diagnosis. The onstar tech told me there was a code coming up which had to do with my areo grille shutter which made sense. Turns out there was a stick lodged in my front areo grill preventing the shutter from opening and closing. Anyways just goes to show how sensitive this car is. Im driving paranoid now its only a matter of time before I hit a bump my air bags deploy and onstar is on the radio asking if I have been in an accident.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You know what im going to go fill up my car right now and see how many gallons I put back in it.

Can we really assume that when the fuel pump automatically shuts off its shutting off at the exact same time it does every time we fill up ? Or is it possible for us to be putting in more or less fuel then we actually used because of the automatic shutoff ?

Allright just filled up. DIC shows 332 miles driven 6.7 gallons used. The fuel pump shutoff at 6.9 gallons. I was able to continue to 7 gallons even with a few extra squeezes. I am not exaggerating at all I have the receipt right here. So using those numbers the automatic shuttoff puts it at 48mpg which im still very pleased with.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOW 375 miles a day how long do cars last you with that mileage?
Thats impossible for me to answer considering im 29 and this is my first new car. But with proper maintenance, a little luck and some love I dont see why this car wont still be turning over at million miles.

Im a courier driver and actually thinking about taking a route that would require me to drive 600 miles per day 5 days a week. I cant say what for but at 7.50 an hour 0.05 cents per mile and 25mpg fuel conpensation which I average 48mpg and profit the difference let me tell you its not a bad little way to make a living if you enjoy driving. Sure your behind the wheel 50 hours but its one **** of an office view that makes it all worth it especially when the environment is as beautiful as it is here where I live in the pacific northwest.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well if you were interested in making a little extra money driving you can research independant contract couriers or even employee courier companies in your area. I was searching yahoo for delivery companys in my area and decided to apply as a courier. I cant really comment on exactly what I do but my delivery is daily and is 375 miles round trip. Personally I enjoy the freedom of the open road. Getting paid to drive a chevy cruze I cant complain. If your serious about it you can research advertising companies that will pay as much as $ 500 or more per month to have your car wrapped to advertise for them depending on how much you drive everyday and what city you live in. FreeCarMedia will actually give you a free car to drive everyday if you qualify.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Just an FYI, fuel economy improves significantly with the use of 93 octane fuel. It improves enough to outweigh the additional cost over 87 octane. Might want to give that a try. The car also has much smoother acceleration and power delivery through the power band.

I plan on testing higher octane fuels once my MPG is stable enough to notice a difference that isnt caused by weather or other variables. So I plan on waiting for spring and 70f weather. I tried high octane fuel once before and I personally couldnt tell the difference but like I said I plan on testing it again soon.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have discovered that mileage doesn't make as much difference as calendar age. Regardless of mileage, rubber and plastic components simply dry out. So 375 miles a day works out to between 95,000 and 100,000 miles a year. In 10 years, which in my experience is when GM (Pontiac specifically) cars start to show signs of old age this is 950,000 to 1,000,000 miles on the car.
I agree. Putting alot of miles on a car within a few years doesnt seem to have the same affects on the vehicle as it does accumilating miles over say 10-15 years

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really hope the OP will report back here every time he passes another 100k miles. I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't hit 1 million miles if he keeps this up.
I defintaly plan on reporting back often with updates on how this chevy cruze is holding up as the miles add up ( about 2k a week ). I have had the car 3 weeks now and have just under 6k on it. I also have a custom 97 s10 manual with 175k that I try to use on my route once a week to get it out of the garage so it doesnt get jealous.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well im happy to report back after a few weeks away from the forum. I have owned my eco for 8 weeks now I have 13817 miles on the car and im still averaging between 47 to 50 actual MPG from the tank as my DIC is starting to average right around 52 to 53 on a regular daily basis.

I just made the switch over to pure gas using conocco phillips 66 fuel and have no plans on going back to 10% ethenol. I like to believe my acceleration is smoother my engine is slightly louder and my efficiency has improved. As soon as the weather temperatures start to average 75 degress and above I will make the switch to premium pure gas but for now I have still been using regular pure.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When you replace your ECOs tires and put some miles on them, can you report to us? It would be interesting to know what you get & compare to the OEM Goodyears for handling & braking.

I probably wont be replacing them anytime soon Im hoping to get AT LEAST 65k to 75k out of these tires and even when I do decide to replace them I will most likely purchase the exact same OEM fuel max tires. Speaking of which does anyone know what these tire miles are rated at I couldnt find any info from goodyear. Also do tires generally last longer if most if not all the miles are highway and freeway with very little stop and go ?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
This was an old post of mine from a year ago I cant believe it was unearthed and so I figure I might as well provide a quick update.

Im at 92k miles today and should arrive at 100k just in time for my 1 year anniversary the 1st week of march 2013. I currently drive 365 miles monday thru friday but there is another route that is 615 miles per day I plan on taking over as soon as its available to me.

Well its that time of year for me to start adding up my miles and expenses for tax purposes here are some of my results. I earned a 50mpg avg over 9 months which is very impressive and im very proud of my cruze eco. Keep in mind there were many days and weeks I would avg well into the 50's actual mpg and days the weather and wind wasnt so kind and would drop my avg into the mid 40's.

Total Spent
Gas $ 5,927.68
Oil $ 479.67

Total Miles
Work Miles 62,855
Personal Miles 13,571

Gallons Used 1,539.8
Miles Driven 76,426

Actual AVG MPG = 49.6

"I'm just curious how your average MPG on your DIC compares to your actual MPG?"
Allright well I have some new data to answer this question because I was curious as well. At exactly 50,000 miles I reset my gallons used. I have 87,180 miles on the car now which is a difference of 37,180 miles. My fuel used is displayed at 724 gallons. So I used 724 gallons over 37,180 miles which equals 51.3mpg on the DIC during the months of mid August thru mid January.

Now looking over my fuel logs for those months my avg mpg looks like this. Aug 52mpg, Sept 51mpg, Oct 51mpg, Nov 48mpg, Dec 47mpg, Jan 41mpg. So my actual avg during the past 37,180 miles has been 48.3 which is an exact difference of 3mpg from the DIC. I have always felt the difference from actual and DIC could be anywhere from 2-4 mpg maybe the DIC is more or less accurate depending on the vehicles driving conditions. All I know is thats my data and its pretty darn accurate.

Actual AVG MPG = 48.3
DIC AVG MPG = 51.3

Notice my avg mpg dropped dramatically in late Dec and all of Jan when for the past 4 weeks temps here in Idaho have remained under ( 20-25 F high ) and ( 0-10 F low ) and even ( -10 to 0 F ) degrees where I do most my driving well below Idaho averages for this time of year. Temps are so cold both driver side windows have been frosting over but not the passenger side windows im assuming this has to do with the moisture in my breath. The cruze does just fine in below freezing temps if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Not that it matters but because I posted it and shouldnt have my pay has changed substantially. Almost a year ago I became an independant contract courier for a bank I profit $ 105 per day after expenses for 6 hours of work monday thru friday. Sure its not much but $ 17.50 isnt a bad way to make a living especially when your young as I am and enjoy driving. Im still waiting for my chance to takeover a 615 mile route that pays $ 300 per day for 10 hours of work.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
This is great. I'm really glad you're still an active member to update us!

When did you change your tires?
I replaced my tires with a set of oem goodyear fuel max tires at exactly 85k with 3/32 left on the inner 2 tread grooves and 4/32 on the outter 2 tread grooves. I have heard my slight uneven treadwear could be a result of over inflation and or alot of straight highway drive and that a 1/32 difference is nothing to be concerned about. I kept my psi between 39-41 warm. I could have kept driving on the tires I know I could have gotten them to 90k safely and possibly more but didnt want to risk it winter had arrived and I didnt feel safe on the tires.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Earlier you mentioned using cruse control. Still?

One 58mi trip on hilly terrain w/2-3 mi. grades, I avgd 46mpg @ 77mph avg speed.
This required slowing to 50ish uphill and err(shhh!)90+ down.

Any Atlanta Cruze owners will.attest to the terrain from Columbus Ga up I-185 towards Atlanta is brutal on mpg.

Vsry good IMHO considering.

Sure I use cruise control when the road conditions allow it. Only time I dont use it is when im deep into the mountains where the terrain is steep and the turns are sharp. Besides I even use CC on the busy city freeways when I have enough distance and if I dont I just create my own. Of course I keep my feet near the pedals but mostly its just to maintain speed and efficiency. These are both normal and typical driving behaviors nothing out of the ordinary for me. I got my CDL im a decent driver.... compared to teens, elderly drivers and blind people. lol

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Lets just say my cargo is feathers. @ 6'1 205lbs im really the only weight to the vehicle. I do hope the weight of my cargo will increase after I start to advertise because that will mean im making more deliveries which means im earning more. Im in a great position right now being self employeed I just have to find the extra loads between the cities on my route.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.