Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
At first I was surprised, then I realized this is all highway driving. The EPA rating is for a 58mpg average, with a 20% reduction, and the kind of grades you're driving up and down explain why you aren't getting in the high 50s like other individual testers have been able to achieve. At 45-50mph consistently, you can actually average ~65mpg if not higher with higher tire pressure.

I would invite you to have a read through this thread:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/5733-tire-psi-max-mpgs.html

Welcome to cruzetalk!

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
I plan on setting up a fuelly account soon. Yes the reported 49mpg is from the DIC but even so this spring and summer when temperatures rise and the summer blend gas is being pumped from the stations I am fairly confident I will be reporting 50mpg from my miles and actual fuel used. I have just been a bit lazy recently not actually doing the math at the pump. But I plan on adding my miles and gallons used and reporting back on this thread. Im pretty sure its still going to be close to 49mpg for now.
The DIC is proven inaccurate here by just about everyone. The amount varies, but its 5-10% inaccurate. Just so you are aware... I'm expecting your calculations to come in at 44-47mpg.

The best I get the dic to say is 44 but the real calculation comes out to 38-40 and that's all back road driving doing 60 mph
I managed to get some pretty incredible numbers this week after inflating tires to max sidewall and using the methods in the thread in my signature.

97.3 miles driven, 52.8mpg average, 33.4mph average. I never got on the highway or exceeded 55mph. This was taken yesterday.

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
You can't assume that the first click off is always at the same fill level. From 20+ years of tracking pump to pump fillups, I have discovered, in descending order of importance, that speed of the fill, back pressure on the pump if it has one of those stupid ozone reducing collars, how level is your car while filling, ambient air temp and barometric pressure all impact the first click off. However, over time, it will average out.
I agree entirely. There will be a few variations, but over time, it will average out and it will be accurate. I'd keep up what you're doing as its clearly working very well. You're now in hybrid territory.

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
Thats impossible for me to answer considering im 29 and this is my first new car. But with proper maintenance, a little luck and some love I dont see why this car wont still be turning over at million miles.

Im a courier driver and actually thinking about taking a route that would require me to drive 600 miles per day 5 days a week. I cant say what for but at 7.50 an hour 0.05 cents per mile and 25mpg fuel conpensation which I average 48mpg and profit the difference let me tell you its not a bad little way to make a living if you enjoy driving. Sure your behind the wheel 50 hours but its one **** of an office view that makes it all worth it especially when the environment is as beautiful as it is here where I live in the pacific northwest.
1 million miles is entirely possible with the kind of driving you're doing. Cars wear about 90% less on the highway as they do in city driving. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get into this kind of work, and are part time gigs available? I certainly wouldn't mind doing this every now and then on a Saturday or an evening.

I assume you're single. At 600 miles a day, you would have to average 75MPH for an 8 hour work day. If you enjoy it, go for it, but I would strongly recommend spending the money to get the spare tire in addition to the air pump. With the air pump you don't need to keep your spare fully inflated all the time. Half pressure should do the trick to keep the spare on its rim. If you need it, fill it up after putting it on the car. If you have the space you may want to get a full rim & spare as the donut spare really handles poorly.
X2 on the spare. You can patch up that tire for the majority of instances, but if you ever clip a curb or run over a large piece of sharp metal, you can puncture the tire and you're SOL till the tow truck shows up.

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
Just an FYI, fuel economy improves significantly with the use of 93 octane fuel. It improves enough to outweigh the additional cost over 87 octane. Might want to give that a try. The car also has much smoother acceleration and power delivery through the power band.

·
Administrator
15,860 Posts
I have discovered that mileage doesn't make as much difference as calendar age. Regardless of mileage, rubber and plastic components simply dry out. So 375 miles a day works out to between 95,000 and 100,000 miles a year. In 10 years, which in my experience is when GM (Pontiac specifically) cars start to show signs of old age this is 950,000 to 1,000,000 miles on the car.
I really hope the OP will report back here every time he passes another 100k miles. I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't hit 1 million miles if he keeps this up.

Sent from my HTC Vision using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.