Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I bet nobody else was doing this over the weekend.

Tags
bet weekend
1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
My 2017 6-speed Hatchback went to play with the BMW's at Brainerd International's Competition course. I instruct at their HPDE schools and my other car is a Taurus SHO which is real heavy for the short track. The Cruze was wonderful; beyond expectations! I have 18" wheels and summer tires as the only upgrade. The handling was amazing with hardly any body roll. It certainly could use another 100HP (SS please Chevy 2.0T) but we were running even with Mini's, Miata's, and VW's. Short 2.5 mile course but it still hit 105.8 going through turn 2 which is darn quick. My App also said .92G in corners which is also great. Not quite as cool as my student's 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 but do not hesitate to sign up for a school or autocross. These cars perform.

#2 ·
Yea you're right I just went to play on Kentucky's version of the autobahn: I-71 between Cincinnati and Louisville. Drove Cincinnati to Louisville up I 65 to Rte50 back to Cincinnati. But if you have never been on I 71, the speed limit is 70 MPH and there is absolutely nothing out there. Ergo, in order to not get run over, you should go 80 - 85+ There was at least one time I was 100 +. I was in my LT, thinking about how my Eco would have felt/handled driving at such speeds!!! As I typically found myself doing high speeds w/o knowing about it(one of the reasons I considering to get rid of it earlier). Surprisingly, I still maintained @ 30 MPG even at such speeds in the LT!

#4 · (Edited)
You need an MX-5. It doesn't have an overdrive gearbox, 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio. It spins at 3,500 RPM at 75MPH in 6th gear. And you feel every bump in the road. (It's really not a good highway car as I've recently learned, but I wasn't expecting it to be)

Note: I did also notice I get better gas mileage with the MX-5's naturally aspirated 2.0L engine that absolutely HATES to be below 2,200 RPM. Must just be the way I drive, but I have to work the Cruze hard to drive the way I want. The MX-5 insists on being driven hard, but doesn't require as much drama to drive the way I want. Very weird, and I really didn't expect that.

#3 ·
That's quite promising. I haven't been to a track day since I did one at VIR with a heavy pig of a Volvo S70 - had a blast there, but I've had the chance to throw the new Cruze around some twisty back roads and I was pretty impressed. It's no Miata, and it could definitely use about 50 more HP to pull out of the turns, but it's not a bad handler at all for what it is even in stock form.

#8 ·
Always wanted to do a VIR Run. Military kept getting in the way of that so I only got Buds Creek and Capital Raceway in. Rosecroft Raceway kinda sorta counted as Auto X

Every time I tried to race it would rain. Lordstown meet would have been the 1st time in like 3 cars I raced on a track.

#5 ·
It seems every insterstate in central or eastern KY is a racetrack - 65 up to Lousville is solid 80 MPH territory, and I sustained 92 for 10-12 miles from Elizabethtown up to Bardstown behind a big flatbed Powerstroke about a month ago - spinning 3,500 RPM in 6th for that long was fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.