Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you buy the Walmart brand you don't need to decode the date. It's exactly the same as the expensive stuff, only cheaper.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It does go bad, but will last much longer if stored properly.
It should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

That being said, I have never paid much attention to the jugs I was buying at the store.
Never had an issue yet with the fluid I have used.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,691 Posts
I buy mine a few 2.5 gal jugs at a time, from Walmart, so they ship it for free and I don't have to go pick it up from the store - plus, I then have it on hand for when we need it.

It sits in my basement, so plenty good for storage.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Certainly a truck stop is an easy way to get DEF... Assuming you have a local truck stop. There are far more Walmart locations than truck stops.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Go through the semi fueling lane and the DEF is actually in a separate fuel pump just like gas or diesel. Easiest way to fill by far.
We don't really have this in my immediate area, but will be trying this now with the gen II having the filler outside the car.
I would guess it is a lot cheaper than the jugs.
I was to afraid to spill in the trunk on the gen I.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Yup, def has always had an expiry date. Rule of thumb is 2yrs stored properly. 1yr is a safer bet. Different manufacturers may have variances. Freezing shortens it's life as well.

Just wait til Amazon sells their own, it'll probably only be $3.50/gallon with free 2 day shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I think it's $2.50 at the truckstop

VS. how much at walmart.

And you only fill what you need.

VS. having to store the rest.
Which is why you just make sure you don't have to store any.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
All mine that are stored are unopened.

I just make sure I know the full 2.5 gallons will fit in the tank when I pour one in. It's really quite simple...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Go through the semi fueling lane and the DEF is actually in a separate fuel pump just like gas or diesel. Easiest way to fill by far.
Drive through the truck stop backwards since our DEF filler is on the passenger side. And a lot of trucks have the DEF filler on the driver's side.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You can't possibly know that.
Here's 1 example of you being wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFj-SYN8l-Y
no mention of how the 'bad def' failed??? they test it with a refractometer? could it be coincidence that crud from his system plugged up same time he added the dreaded 'bad def'??

he doesnt show the 'bad def' expiry date in the video? hmmmm

its the same story over and over, 'bad def' and never any proof of said 'bad def'

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no mention of how the 'bad def' failed??? they test it with a refractometer? could it be coincidence that crud from his system plugged up same time he added the dreaded 'bad def'??

he doesnt show the 'bad def' expiry date in the video? hmmmm

its the same story over and over, 'bad def' and never any proof of said 'bad def'
You're right,pure coincidence.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts