Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few Cruzen pass me on my way home today, two of which were very likely GM company cars (Michigan plates began with BKW) The first was a VERY shiny and clean Victory Red LTZ RS, closely followed behind (five cars maybe) by a Summit White ECO that was covered in dirt.

The LTZ was worth a picture, so I got my phone out as I saw it coming up behind me. I didn't want to miss out on it like I did the BGM ECO last time:

lol, I'm not trying to be creepy...

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
It actually a bit crazy how many are around where I live, all I can think is hopefully that means cheap aftermarket parts(eventually) like the cavalier always had.

Janesville,WI a city where GM closed one of its plants in 2008, you can not drive one block without seeing at least one cruze. Funny the town still is loyal to GM even when GM was not to them(GM was not the only factory or business to close because of the GM plant closing). Last time I was there I was even more surprised to see more than one Volt on the road.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
I've had a few Cruze drivers wave at me.

I don't know if you've ever got this car out in the fast lane, but the LT LOVES going above 75 mph. At 80, it's right in the powerband...gas mileage goes down, but it keeps wanting to accelerate faster and faster.

It's actually kinda funny...the two other Chevy drivers (a Silverado and a sexy red Camaro) in my parking lot all park by me. I'll have to snap a picture tomorrow morning if they're still here.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I don't know if you've ever got this car out in the fast lane, but the LT LOVES going above 75 mph. At 80, it's right in the powerband...gas mileage goes down, but it keeps wanting to accelerate faster and faster.
My ECO MT likes speeds from 70 to 80. I haven't had the guts to risk the ticket above 80 for any length of time, but it will easily hit 90 on the open road. Lots of head room in the engine speed even at 100.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree the LT likes to go fast especially with a tune. I have had it at 117 and it feels like it can keep going. This was on a closed course for data logging purposes.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've yet have one wave at me, and I do see a lot. Not as many as I would have thought though, but it seems like more of the GM employees around here are choosing Buicks instead. There aren't too many Veranos yet (by far more Cruzen), but there are a ton of Regals (maybe a 1/3 are GS) and LaCrosses. It seems like the average person around here just buying a commuter car has opted for the Malibu, and granted they can be a few years old now, but it seems less people buy a Cruze. I usually see one or two while going to/from work.

I usually don't have much of an opportunity to open it up. I was doing maybe 65 here (watching that mileage!), with the Victory Red not going much over 75. Usually traffic impedes accumulating much speed, which it did just about a half mile later from this picture. I did actually get over in the left lane with it (which surprisingly was moving along well today when jamming up) and was doing 75 for a little bit. I've had it at 80-82 before, but it's rare. If I come home one way, when the one highway (in the pic) exits to another highway, two lanes merge into the left side of the other highway. I get off pretty quick, so I need to get across 3-4 lanes right away, and that can be challenging sometimes. I agree, it'll do 80ish with no complaints, unlike the Excursion where things start to vibrate funny and it just handles crappy.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Was this on I-75? IIRC, people were angrily running me off the road at 65 mph, LOL (maybe my NY plates?)

The Cruze handles scarily well above 100. I seriously almost pissed myself because it got to 112 with the tune and had plenty more in the tank (it shifted at~110, LOL). This was before my hackjob however... The updraft caused by the hackjob might make it wander a bit at those speeds but you won't see me testing it!!!!

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was this on I-75? IIRC, people were angrily running me off the road at 65 mph, LOL (maybe my NY plates?)

The Cruze handles scarily well above 100. I seriously almost pissed myself because it got to 112 with the tune and had plenty more in the tank (it shifted at~110, LOL). This was before my hackjob however... The updraft caused by the hackjob might make it wander a bit at those speeds but you won't see me testing it!!!!
Nope, I-696 WB about a mile before the I-275 split (I guess technically Farmington Hills there). It's a bit unusual because people really can't get going very fast. Traffic only opens up for about a mile stretch from being stop and go, and then it stops again. So hitting 70 on this stretch is rare, even though it has been quite light over the last week or two and has moved well. Hopefully that pattern can continue! I'm happy to take the slow traffic though because the roadway itself is in good shape. No potholes/bumps to speak of, which is rare for Michigan, and means my Cruze is much less likely to get stone chips.

But I know what you mean, especially with I-75 (anywhere in the state). A lot of the RVers that I know are out east (PA, NY, WV, CT, MA) and they all say how they tow around 55-60. That's no big deal when people not towing generally don't push it much beyond the typical 65 speed limits in those states. We have 70 in MI, but towing at 55 would be a huge danger. Our trucks have a 60 mph limit, and even they push it to 62ish to avoid problems. I generally tow at 65 (I'm most comfortable there and it's within the ratings of the equipment), but I have pushed it faster before. When people pass at 80-85, you don't get pushed around/onto the shoulder/into the next lane if you're doing close to 70 vs. 55 or so. Michigan roads are tough to drive until you get used to them.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
It actually a bit crazy how many are around where I live, all I can think is hopefully that means cheap aftermarket parts(eventually) like the cavalier always had.
Unfortunately for us 90% of buyers are not into modifying them so my guess is aftermarket support will be way slower for the Cruze.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nope, I-696 WB about a mile before the I-275 split (I guess technically Farmington Hills there). It's a bit unusual because people really can't get going very fast. Traffic only opens up for about a mile stretch from being stop and go, and then it stops again. So hitting 70 on this stretch is rare, even though it has been quite light over the last week or two and has moved well. Hopefully that pattern can continue! I'm happy to take the slow traffic though because the roadway itself is in good shape. No potholes/bumps to speak of, which is rare for Michigan, and means my Cruze is much less likely to get stone chips.
Try that on the weekends, I was about getting run over in that stretch doing 75 the last time I went though there. I have a Victory Red 2LT so maybe you'll catch me on the road one of these days (I usually drive Telegraph, Sq Lk, & 75 from there north). If you see one with LS hubcaps on it for the next few months, that's me.

I usually have my Cruze going 75-80 about every day. The mileage is dropping pretty bad because of the cold, but I can't complain when bad mileage is still 32-33.

Reactions: Sunline Fan
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.