Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know of any instructions on how to remove the 60/40 fold down portion of the backseat? I'm turning my RS from a full figured fatty to a anerexic(sp?) Stripper lol strictly for auto-cross days and the added benefit of not having to haul a ton of people around all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Does anyone have or know of any instructions on how to remove the 60/40 fold down portion of the backseat? I'm turning my RS from a full figured fatty to a anerexic(sp?) Stripper lol strictly for auto-cross days and the added benefit of not having to haul a ton of people around all the time.
I assume that you've already pulled the seat bottoms out. I would think the hinge points for the seatbacks are bolted to the unibody structure. I would expect there are weld nuts on the body that the hinges are bolted to. Can you feel around under the seat backs? With the seat bottoms out and the backs folded down, can you see behind the seat backs?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed 3 15mm bolts that bolted down the seats to the bottom of the floor. I tried lifting them out but it won't budge, there's another set of hinges next to the air bag on the floor I can't seem to get at. Any ideas?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not even sure why you want to remove them. Have a nice flat surface with the trunk, would only gain about 4" in height, have that hump, and a very unfinished look.

According to the shop manual,

Have to remove the rear seat lower cushion first, suppose to be able to pull it up. Then remove the staples from the rear seat backs, then remove the center safety belt brackets, then somehow the backs starting with the left side first are supposed to unsnap somehow letting you unsnap the larger right side.

Only screws mentioned are the ones for the safety belt buckles.

From what little I have done so far, can tell you, a lot easier to snap this car together than to unsnap it. On other vehicles I worked on like this, park the vehicle on black asphalt on a 100*F day with the doors and windows closed and the sun pouring down on it. When that plastic is hot, its a lot more pliable and the odds of breaking those tabs off are diminished.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
And here I come to save the day.

NOTE: I might post a thread about how to remove the back seats in the How-To section for others down the road.

Anyways, you got the bracket with three bolts securing it to the floor out, so you're about 1/3rd of the way done.

Now, the bracket in the side of the car is nothing special;

Vehicle Car Family car

The only problem you're going to face comes with the seat itself. The seat has a rod with two washers and a spring on it. One washer fits on either side of the bracket in the car, and the spring keeps pressure on the inside washer, stopping you from removing the seat easily. In order to take the seat out, you have to get a flat head screw driver, and wedge it between the metal of the bracket, and the washer; then push the washer away from the bracket, and pull up. This can be tricky, and if you can get someone to help you its much easier, but it will take a couple tries to get it out.

Now, for the 60 half of the backseat, you have to remove one more bolt, as the seatbelt for the centre seat is attached to the body of the car, as well as the seat itself.
Auto part Vehicle

That should be everything you need to know, if not, post here or PM me directly.

Also, as a side note, once you remove the braket, its easier to get the seats out one by one, so if you can get a friend you need to lat both seats flat on the bottom of the car. Then push them forward[towards the front seats] where they connect to each other. And finally, grab the corners where the bracket is attached, and pull them straight up into the air to get them separated and the bracket off. If you do this, un-hinging them from the side brackets becomes possible[its nearly impossible to do it with them attached to one another], if not 10 times easier.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
That will come in handy for someone who wants to go to extremes in making the quietest Cruze ever.
There's a local track where if you show up on a Friday with 10-20 bucks you get 2-4 goes on the 1/4 mile against an actual cop. I'm thinking about stripping the seats and going next week lol.

Reactions: Beachernaut

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Shop manual never said anything about pushing in those spring loaded hinge pins, but maybe if you removed the rear seat covers you could see that.

Should have carefully read the tread about reducing weight, could save 90 pounds by driving around with an near empty gas tank.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Shop manual never said anything about pushing in those spring loaded hinge pins, but maybe if you removed the rear seat covers you could see that.

Should have carefully read the tread about reducing weight, could save 90 pounds by driving around with an near empty gas tank.
Trying to get the seat covers off, even with the seats out of the car is a royal in the ass.

Also, if you're low on gas, you can risk losing pressure. Now thats more for on a track than in a drag race, but still.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I love it how people take a brand new car and rip **** out of it.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
I love it how people take a brand new car and rip **** out of it.
It all depends on how you want your car to function. When I first joined this forum there was a thread where someone ripped out their back seats and replaced it with two 15" speakers, and 1 10" speaker in a custom fiber glass box that he made himself. And then he cut out the center of the bottom seats and put his amp on the passenger side, and an interface[I think] on the diver's side.

Its all about making your car your own, and giving it your own custom touch/feel. I mean I've had my car for only half a year and I've replaced half my seats with vinyl[which is how I know how to remove the seats lol], and I love my car even more now that I've tinkered with it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Trying to get the seat covers off, even with the seats out of the car is a royal in the ass.
Son and I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on his S-10 following the step by step instructions in the shop manual. Right side took us 3 1/2 hours, but asked, why in the **** did we remove all this stuff. Left side took all but 45 minutes by skipping all those needless steps.

Looks like the Cruze shop manual was written by the same guy.

Find it ironic that if a cop sees you wearing MP3 ear buds in your ears, will stop and ticket you, but okay if you install a 2000 watt stereo system in your car. You definitely don't want to get caught holding a cell phone. And 20 mph means 20 mph, the law is like a pane of glass, and once broken, its broken. 21 mph breaks that pane of glass.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The removal of the backseat is just the beginning, hopefully by mid summer early fall I'll have the seibon carbon fiber vented hood, carbon fiber fenders and trunk lid. Then over the winter save up for light weight Volk racing 5 spoke rims in bronze color....maybe some red sparco or recaro racing seats further down the line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts