Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel bad I sent an email to my service manager at the dealer I bought my cruze. I brought my cruze in to get the tires rotated since I bought them there and yesterday I noticed my coolant cap was not on all the way. So I been driving a week with it not on completely.

Well I looked at the cap and thought it was broke but it wasn't it is just the way it is designed.
So I sent another email apologizing and that it looks like that was the way it was designed.

But when I drove off in my car one of the sensors was reading 80 psi so I had to go back and have them relearn the sensors again with their tool. When I went back it was the same tech I had last time I was there and he put five quarts of oil in my cruze. That was when I decided to try my own oil changes and I have been doing my own oil changes since.

I brought this up with the service manager in the email and said if I come back I don't want that tech to service my car anymore.
I also asked if there was a way to learn the sensor without the tool so I can do my own rotations.

Well he sent a gm document back that says how to manually relearn the sensors.
The email was all in caps so not sure how to interpret the email and he said he hopes it helps and that was it no apology or anything.
I was planning on going back there next year for my state inspection and getting my tires rotated.

But now I feel bad. I usually don't do this and it isn't like me (I always went by we are all human and we are not perfect) so I am just not sure what came over me but I pointed out that these are simple little items and that I bring oil in that has the measurement marks on the bottle so how hard can it be to fill it with 4.25 quarts of oil and relearn the sensors correctly. They always gave me great service and when I had major problems they fixed it right the first time it was just these simple items that seem to be the problem. I always gave them the best review I could when I get service there because I have always been happy with them. I even gave the best review I could after this visit but that was before I saw the coolant cap not on all the way.

I think the techs are pressured so much to find something that needs maintenance they do what I came in for half/axx.

I just wish they would focus on the task why I am there and do it correctly instead of spending time looking for other stuff to sell me.

·
2,254 Posts
Find a different dealer.

This is the problem with just about all GM dealers I've been too.

It's your car, you bought it, and you choose to take care of it. Just because some dumbass tech can't service the car properly doesn't mean you need to feel bad. In fact, I would have done the same thing. I was pissed off when my dealer left a brake line hanging down on my front brakes.

They might be a little frustrated because they're loosing money on you doing things yourself. But who cares, in the end you are saving money. In fact, it is good that you are learning to do things yourself because ultimately ALL mechanics these days are crooks and liars, practically salesman for parts that your car doesn't need.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I feel bad I sent an email to my service manager at the dealer I bought my cruze. I brought my cruze in to get the tires rotated since I bought them there and yesterday I noticed my coolant cap was not on all the way. So I been driving a week with it not on completely.

Well I looked at the cap and thought it was broke but it wasn't it is just the way it is designed.
So I sent another email apologizing and that it looks like that was the way it was designed.

But when I drove off in my car one of the sensors was reading 80 psi so I had to go back and have them relearn the sensors again with their tool. When I went back it was the same tech I had last time I was there and he put five quarts of oil in my cruze. That was when I decided to try my own oil changes and I have been doing my own oil changes since.

I brought this up with the service manager in the email and said if I come back I don't want that tech to service my car anymore.
I also asked if there was a way to learn the sensor without the tool so I can do my own rotations.

Well he sent a gm document back that says how to manually relearn the sensors.
The email was all in caps so not sure how to interpret the email and he said he hopes it helps and that was it no apology or anything.
I was planning on going back there next year for my state inspection and getting my tires rotated.

But now I feel bad. I usually don't do this and it isn't like me (I always went by we are all human and we are not perfect) so I am just not sure what came over me but I pointed out that these are simple little items and that I bring oil in that has the measurement marks on the bottle so how hard can it be to fill it with 4.25 quarts of oil and relearn the sensors correctly. They always gave me great service and when I had major problems they fixed it right the first time it was just these simple items that seem to be the problem. I always gave them the best review I could when I get service there because I have always been happy with them. I even gave the best review I could after this visit but that was before I saw the coolant cap not on all the way.

I think the techs are pressured so much to find something that needs maintenance they do what I came in for half/axx.

I just wish they would focus on the task why I am there and do it correctly instead of spending time looking for other stuff to sell me.
For starters, stop using e-mail.

I can think of nothing more irritating since the receiver of same is unable to take any corrective action at that moment.

As you found out, in your example, you lambasted someone for what you later found out was not a problem (rad cap)
The time between your first contact that was accusing the service department of ineptitude and follow up with 'Whoops, I was incorrect.....sorry' was likely several days.......Days that the receiver of the first e mail likely stewed over.
This would not have been the case if you had stopped in and questioned what you are seeing.

Although you provided marked quart bottles of oil for a oil change, and provided the requested amount to the service writer, how can you be sure that info made it to the mechanic.
The mechanic is handed a job ticket and is told the oil is provided.....mechanic sees five quarts.......customer is always right, if he wants five he gets five.......and you get overfilled.
The writer should have told the tech. the fifth quart is for 'top off'.......I doubt if that info came through.

E mail in caps: on a forum it is considered a method of yelling in print........out in the real world, most automotive documents are written in caps......not enough time to play with cap this, lower case that.....so, don't read anything into it.

The 80 psi thing was a anomoly and happens often in a dealership.
Mechanic is performing a relearn on your car.......mechanic across shop is performing a relearn on a new pickup truck.......your reciever picks up the trucks sensor signal.
The cars horn honked as it is designed to do.....job complete, mechanic moves on.....although moments should be taken to verify if the sensors 'took'.....again, time is money.

Every thing I responded to could have easily been handled without stirring anyones fur, by simply calling or stopping in.......I repeat.......don't hit the send button unless you are absolutely confident of what you have typed.

Ultimately, I reached a point where I told my customers I would not even read, let alone respond to customer generated e mail.
If they were too lazy to get off their dead ash and talk to me I no longer wanted them as a client.

It worked very well......they got it.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I've emailed my service manager a few times. However, it has always been to thank them. If I've had a problem I always go talk to them in person - may times problems can be resolved quickly this way and everyone goes away happy.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I got a bunch of free oil changes when I traded my cruze for my sonic, So have been slowly using them up over the summer. I've been going to the same dealership for oil changes for 4+ years with no issues. Decided to just have my girlfriend take the car in for once, she calls after is done and she as drove away saying the car is smoking and smells like oil. She checked under the hood and reported " it looked like someone poured oil all over the front of the engine" and asked me what she should do.

I told her to drive back and ask them to clean up the oil mess they made. Shop manager walked out to get a look, he wasn't impressed when he could see the smoke and smell the car from 10ft away! Another 20+ minutes they detailed the entire engine compartment, looks as good as new now. As long as I didn't have continued issues I have no problem going back for service.

I understand techs are in a hurry, but to leave a huge mess in the hot turbo area is just being lazy. Probably the reason GM moved the oil fill to the back side of valve cover on the Gen2 cruze 1.4T(away from turbo).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
"E mail in caps: on a forum it is considered a method of yelling in print........out in the real world, most automotive documents are written in caps......not enough time to play with cap this, lower case that.....so, don't read anything into it."
Always wondered why all my tickets are in caps. now I know.

"Although you provided marked quart bottles of oil for a oil change, and provided the requested amount to the service writer, how can you be sure that info made it to the mechanic.
The mechanic is handed a job ticket and is told the oil is provided.....mechanic sees five quarts.......customer is always right, if he wants five he gets five.......and you get overfilled.
The writer should have told the tech. the fifth quart is for 'top off'.......I doubt if that info came through."
Sorry I don't buy that excuse. If I was changing a customers oil I open the glove box and look in the owners manual to look at capacity. I only told them to use the oil and gave them enough to meet what the owners manual says. You are paid to do a job according to specs look them up and do it no matter what. If I did that in my job I would crash multi-million dollars computer systems. So that is not excuse.

And the recalibration of the PSI sensors they should double check if that happens all the time. All it takes is two seconds to check before you turn the keys back over to the customer. I am constantly taking double checking what I do at work before I say something is completed or before I take action on a system.

yeah I should not have hit the send button. I always wait before I send an email like at that work and 95% of the time I end up not sending them and the ones I do send I usually scale down the tone.

Thanks

·
2,170 Posts
That's one of the problems with the flat-rate pay system. It promotes a job done quick, rather than a job done well. The more jobs you get done, as fast as possible, the more money you make.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts

Sorry I don't buy that excuse. If I was changing a customers oil I open the glove box and look in the owners manual to look at capacity. I only told them to use the oil and gave them enough to meet what the owners manual says. You are paid to do a job according to specs look them up and do it no matter what. If I did that in my job I would crash multi-million dollars computer systems. So that is not excuse.

And the recalibration of the PSI sensors they should double check if that happens all the time. All it takes is two seconds to check before you turn the keys back over to the customer. I am constantly taking double checking what I do at work before I say something is completed or before I take action on a system.

yeah I should not have hit the send button. I always wait before I send an email like at that work and 95% of the time I end up not sending them and the ones I do send I usually scale down the tone.

Thanks
I definitely agree with how you feel, they should know how much oil, and if they don't they should be able to easily look it up, and it literally does take seconds for them to redo the sensors, I took my cruze in to have it done because none of mine were reading any PSI (I had swapped OEM wheels with someone) and I expected to have to wait for an available tech to come do it, nope a tech stopped what he was doing, came over and had it done in less than 30 seconds. They didn't even need to write me up for a service lol.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

Thanks
I agree with you.....in a perfect world, this would be the case.

chevrasaki, IMO, nailed it though......the real culprit is the pay system.....time takes precedence over quality.....and not just car repairs.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts