Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I feel like 2016 Gen 1’s are the “red headed step child”

1187 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SolgrOnly
Nobody really cares about 2016 Gen 1s. I have a 2016 Limited LT and when I start talking about how the front ends are wired it’s like I’m speaking another language. From the different “fog lights” to the extra bulb in the interior. Is there anyone out there that owns a 2016 Gen 1??
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Yes I have one my son drives and I had one for myself that I would still have had I not wrecked it. That is what got me to the buy the Encore that has lots of Cruze parts.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
Isn't the vast majority of the vehicle pretty much entirely carryover from 2015? It wouldn't make sense to introduce changes/new features to a last-model-year that was running concurrently with the next gen car.

Reactions: JLL

· The Nuclear Option
5,886 Posts
I believe the 2015's and the 2016 Limited are the same. I love my 2015. The 2016 Limited model was sold to deplete GM's Gen 1 part stock. It's not a Gen 2, but I wouldn't call it a red headed stepchild.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
It's exactly the same as a 2015.

It's easier for all involved to just refer to it as a 2015, and for those of us with a 2016 Gen 2 to refer to it as a 2017. The you're not left saying "2016 Cruze Gen 2" or "2016 Cruze Limited". Much easier when dealing with parts stores too.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's exactly the same as a 2015.

It's easier for all involved to just refer to it as a 2015, and for those of us with a 2016 Gen 2 to refer to it as a 2017. The you're not left saying "2016 Cruze Gen 2" or "2016 Cruze Limited". Much easier when dealing with parts stores too.
Hmm it honestly seems like we got the short end of the stick. I just got a 16 last month and it seems like I actually like the older models better. I don’t even have a backup camera. But then again maybe I was just spoiled by my other cars. I used to put switchback turn signal LEDs on everything now I can’t because the LED strip is on constant instead of the side marker. Most of the quirks that I have noticed don’t seem to be commonly discussed or most people have no idea what I’m talking about lol

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
Hmm it honestly seems like we got the short end of the stick. I just got a 16 last month and it seems like I actually like the older models better. I don’t even have a backup camera. But then again maybe I was just spoiled by my other cars. I used to put switchback turn signal LEDs on everything now I can’t because the LED strip is on constant instead of the side marker. Most of the quirks that I have noticed don’t seem to be commonly discussed or most people have no idea what I’m talking about lol
But that LED strip is the exact same as 2015. Like the rest of the car.

Reactions: jblackburn

· The Nuclear Option
5,886 Posts
No offense, but it's not GM's fault that the car that you bought didn't have all the options that you wanted or were accustomed too.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
Yep; the backup camera, touchscreen, etc were made standard for the "Gen 2" 2016. They basically built out the 2015 Cruze/Cruze Limited with minor updates to the 2014, but with most of the same interior tech for the base models.

The LED strips, interior lock/trunk button rearrangement, and facelifted bumper were just minor updates to keep the car looking semi-modern/relevant until they could get the new model out.

· Registered
81 Posts
I love my 16 Limited. If I need parts, I just look up 2015 stuff. Normally, the longer run a manufacturer has with a car, the more bugs they work out.

Reactions: SolgrOnly and MP81
1 - 11 of 11 Posts