Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken directly from my facebook:

.. so I'm driving home in North Buffalo tonight doing the speed limit minding my own business while a cop was following me. *shrug* no big I'm doing the speed limit. His lights start flashing! Great... I pull over off the main road get my documents out and wait. Within 5 minutes, FIVE cop cars were surrounding my position!! I roll down my windows as the officer approaches:

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No, sir.
Officer: You have tinted windows. Ever been pulled over for that before?
Me: No, sir. *thinking in my head* (No, I've never encountered a squadron of coppers so bored in the 7 months I've had my windows tinted. I've passed dozens of cops.. some of them even wave to me -___-. God bless America!)
So he makes me roll up my windows so he can use the stupid meter. 24% / 24% VLT (This confirms our factory is ~80%). NY is 70% / 70%. Thankfully, he didn't have that **** razor blade on him. I guess I know now to be careful where I drive at night, because any tint looks like limo in the dark. In the daytime I pass cops all the time and some of them even wave to me or look directly in.

But yeah, does it really take FIVE cops to pull over a brand new chevy cruze? I didn't think our car screamed "drug dealer."

I'm 100% sure I'm just going to pay the $110 fine. I'm not removing it, dammit.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sounds to me like they were looking for someone and about all they had was a car with tinted windows. You got caught up in this search and you car had darker tint than NY allows.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Looked into what was legal here in Wisconsin & was surprised they have changed the law here requiring even lighter tint. Used to be 35% front/20% rear. New law is 50% front 35% rear, pretty much not even worth paying to get the car tinted.

Always wondered how all the minivans & SUV's can have such dark tint, the fine pint of the law here states that if it came that dark from the factory its legal.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds to me like they were looking for someone and about all they had was a car with tinted windows. You got caught up in this search and you car had darker tint than NY allows.
New York doesn't allow any tint. It doesn't stop millions of motorists! *evil laugh*

Looked into what was legal here in Wisconsin & was surprised they have changed the law here requiring even lighter tint. Used to be 35% front/20% rear. New law is 50% front 35% rear, pretty much not even worth paying to get the car tinted.

Always wondered how all the minivans & SUV's can have such dark tint, the fine pint of the law here states that if it came that dark from the factory its legal.
Nah get it tinted. It is so worth it. It's so worth it that if he made me take it off I would get it again as soon as the winter is over. It protects the interior and leather, cools the cabin, prevents knuckleheads from highbeam spamming you when they are angry, and it just looks great.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Didn't even give you a fix it ticket?!

I've been pulled over for tint more than once and it is very hard keeping your cool when you just want to say, oh look at that one with darker tint, and that one and that one... But if you can keep your emotions in check, most of the time they'll wave you off. Unless of course they're in a bad mood or bored.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am moving out of California soon, and the percentage that is required in the state I am moving too is 35% front and 20% back. Cant wait..

I went to a bar a few months ago and I saw a cop catch a guy urinating in in a dark corner. 3 minutes later 6 squad cars and about 13 cops in total cape to just arrest him. Cops obviously have too much time on there hands nowadays.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Taken directly from my facebook:

So he makes me roll up my windows so he can use the stupid meter. 24% / 24% VLT (This confirms our factory is ~80%). NY is 70% / 70%. Thankfully, he didn't have that **** razor blade on him. I guess I know now to be careful where I drive at night, because any tint looks like limo in the dark. In the daytime I pass cops all the time and some of them even wave to me or look directly in.

But yeah, does it really take FIVE cops to pull over a brand new chevy cruze? I didn't think our car screamed "drug dealer."

I'm 100% sure I'm just going to pay the $110 fine. I'm not removing it, dammit.

Are you sure this isn't Obama's fault? lol:th_coolio:(j/k)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Cheap ticket, in my state first offense for tint = $500 and second = $1000.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes NY is very strict on tint laws.

ErikBEggs NY does allow tint but only on the rear of SUVs, Trucks and Minivans (why those? I have no clue). This is why on these vehicles from the factory they have tinted rear windows whereas the Cruze as none (well almost none).

·
Registered
904 Posts
New york spent more money sending 5 officers to one car than the ticket was worth,great ole America
It is night and the cop can't see inside the car because of the dark windows. How many people are in there and do any of them have a weapon? Not that much of a surprise that he called for backup.

I am on the side that front windows should not be tinted so much that others can't see inside. Eye contact with other drivers is a big safety issue in some traffic situations.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It is night and the cop can't see inside the car because of the dark windows. How many people are in there and do any of them have a weapon? Not that much of a surprise that he called for backup.

I am on the side that front windows should not be tinted so much that others can't see inside. Eye contact with other drivers is a big safety issue in some traffic situations.
Couldn't agree more! The cops did the right thing here.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
In IL it's 35% / 35% so that's what I went with as I am more concerned with keeping the inside of the car cool than looking cool.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My car is 15% all Arround cops don't care where I'm at

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
My front ones you can see me, but the back ones in mine are Limo. I was stopped once for speeding and the lady gave me a warning saying they are too dark.

I told her my car came that way, and she left me with only a speeding ticket (5 mph over the limit -_- yes i beat it in court)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts