Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
No. That amount of oil consumption is indicative of a problem. Blue smoke is burning oil.

Codes comming up are raising flags.

It does not sound as though your vehicle is being repaired properly. Has this been at an authorized Chevrolet dealer?

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Guys let me ask this question this is my daily grinder - do you recommend further driving or let them tow it out of my drive way monday morning?
It's a matter of risk tolerance.

I'd be tempted to tow - but on the other hand I'd be tempted to bring the oil up to level and carefully drive it (not on the interstate) to the nearest Chevrolet dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Sadly for you it certainly feels that way.

But for whatever the reason others are having a different experience with their cruzes. As I recall, you're the original owner.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
I hate to say it broh, but you have to at least give it a try and road test it.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Oil consumption report is SOP. I suggest you do it to document the engine's flagrant oil loss behaviour.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Well document the car's behavior or how the car oil was changed. I purchased oil & filter & changed it. I didn't really keep the receipt cause to be honest I think I would never need it for something like this so. What do you suggest I do?, document how much oil its using within a set period of time?
they are supposed t give you a standardized form to complete.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
You know tho, w/ the issue that is occurring they shouldn't be even asking me anything! I am a bit upset, not to mention I just had the oil changed prior to the second PCV valve getting a 'hairline crack' in it. GM is overseeing this matter now tho, ( so we will see ); also what does this standardized form need etc so I am aware of what I need to do?

But none the less getting frustrated or mad doesn't get me anywhere so I just simply cool off & hopefully get a good turn out hopefully soon!
This my friend, is a healthy attitude.

You're definitely growing some stones through all of this.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
It does sound like you're being stroked - but as long as they're providing you a loaner somebody else is paying the tab.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Road testing is good. It means they do not have 100% confidence in their repair strategy and are conducting validation testing.

Reactions: brian v

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
That is the concerning part for me. They are saying so far "so good" well my thoughts are if its good why it is being kept this long if nothing else seems wrong? - I just don't want a repeat of what has done occurred I pick the car up it eats the oil & I gotta get it towed right back to the dealership.

Just would be weird if the intake would be the issue, however I honestly do not see it. & I just hope they are not dancing around the primary issue here to try get around resolving it.
Honestly, I don't think that they want to see you back. So it sure sounds like they're exercising their due diligence in trying to confirm that they've gotten to the root problem.

It is, in all honesty, a refreshing sign of professionalism from this dealership.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
You're a good man. Stay strong. Enjoy the loaner. And keep us informed.

Reactions: joshuab

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
I have seen on a car that old (it's really not that old) where they cause some damage in the shop, and have to replace parts at their cost, that they source used parts from a wrecker.

This could be a source of delay. But at this point I'm just throwing darts at the wall.

Reactions: joshuab

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Wouldn't they have to advise me of such damages? & trust me I got a eye if something has changed on my car. lol Now I am starting to get more paranoid now ha ha, my wife has made a joke as well, they may have damaged the car.

Got my mind wondering now guys..........
I had the big chrome steel bumper on my caprice damaged while at the dealer. It was like they struck the side against one of the lift pillars or something. It had been polished out by someone but I never found the damage until I washed the car a week or so later. It was too late and I couldn't prove anything: so that was that.

Also on that caprice and at the same dealership I had taken the car in for an alignment. The technician ripped out the inner splash shields while adjusting the camber or caster. I receive the car back and immediately open the hood and ask where the splash shields are. I'm told "oh, you don't need those". So I ask why GM put them in there in the first place? I had to go to the service manager and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

My father had his caprice in the dealer to replace the starter. It was about eight years old at that point and the technician removed a frame cross brace and never reinstalled it. When the car came back from service I went under the car and discovered that the heavy metal brace was removed so I complained.

At first they told me that I didn't need that part. So I asked them why the car left the factory with it? Then they said that they threw the part away. So they said they would get parts from a wrecked car. So I went to somebody I knew in management and he sent their manager an email and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

These stories are from another time. 20-25 years ago. But they may still apply to some shops.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Not sure what happened to my post just now? You guys having database rolling back or issues w/ the mysql?
Now fixed. Please proceed as normal.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Have you thought about shooting a video to document the behaviours that your car is exhibiting?

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
No question @joshuab wins the most patient owner evar award.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
I wonder if the tech is out of town?

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
My guess is that there's probably no new in the box engine lying around GMSPO somewhere. That if you do get a replacement engine then you will get a rebuild.

Either way, there's a lot of components that will be transferred from your existing engine to its replacement.

I'm not sure that one is a better option than the other. Let them complete their inspection and see what shakes out.

The good news is that you're finally on the right track. And you should post the names of both dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
They cannot proceed with a warranty repair like that without conformation / direction on next steps from GM.

Robby knows the process best of any of us and hopefully he'll chime in tonight.

Reactions: obermd

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
My guess is that this is costing someone somewhere a fortune.

I wonder what penalty will be assessed of the first dealership who could not effect a repair?

Reactions: obermd
1 - 20 of 21 Posts