Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
201 - 220 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Not saying the tech is good or bad......the OP found the car ran well for the first section of his ride home......obviously the tech. had the same experience.
Since none of us have a crystal ball, the future of the service success was unknown.

Rob[/QUOTE

i am certain you know more about engines and how to repair them than I do. I just don't get not doing a compression test on this car when it has such chronic problems and it is using oil. Why replace all of the other stuff it has a bad cylinder that is causing it to use a lot of oil.
Well......a couple of thoughts here, the first being no one knows for sure if a compression test took place.
Many mechanics, myself included, perform a test but if all is in spec we don't record our findings.

This may have been the case (speculation)

Since the car ran well, the compression had to be satisfactory since, if there had been a out of spec cylinder it would have run poorly at all times.
Compression, or lack thereof, is a mechanical failure that does not momentarily get well, but can be a fooler.

Example: First, we have three rings per piston....the top two are compression sealers, the bottom is oil control and has nothing to do with compression.
So, the focus is on the top two rings.

I have had engines (this is race stuff btw) that had collapsed ring lands and broken top rings pulling perfect compression numbers.
Speculation, on my part, the top ring was doing nothing and the second ring was doing a stellar job of sealing.

In this scenario, I end up with an engine that idles fine, displays no blow by, and operates well.......untill I stress it by deep throttle/high rpm operation......that single ring is unable to hold the additional cylinder pressure by itself and the thing falls on its face.

So, I light foot it back home, and it is running fine by the time I get back.......teardown is now my only path.

In this cars case, since chevy is calling the shots, I suspect teardown will (finally) be authorized.

Anytime warranty is involved, the real potential of too many cooks spoiling the broth presents itself.....and the customer loses faith in the car/mechanic/shop.

For now, don't yet put the tech. on the hook.

Rob

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I would put the dealership management on the hook however. This car has spent way too long there without anyone working on it. This is just plain a service department management failure.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would put the dealership management on the hook however. This car has spent way too long there without anyone working on it. This is just plain a service department management failure.
I agree with you and in my mind the OP is so patient they just figure hey he wont be getting upset today so we can wait and work on it later.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
I might add, there is a fair to good chance the mechanic has instructed the service people he wants your car assigned back to him/her.
Good mechanics tend to want to see that their efforts are successful and almost take it personally when a comeback shows up (I know I sure did).
Ditto. And I'm not too fond of coming in after another tech. At least not without a "hand-off" so I know what's been done.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
This car has a paper trail a mile long. I agree it would be better if the same tech works on the car; however, if the tech properly documented their work it really shouldn't be a big deal. The idea of a car sitting for over a week when it has been in the shop for two months and 4 turbos just blows my mind. This is a pretty simple Chevy car, not a Ferrari that is very specialized and super low production then I could understand having just one tech but hey this is one of Chevys least expensive cars they make. GM should buy this car back and destroy it if it can not be fixed in a reasonable period of time.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Update : I got a call from the dealership today letting me know what they have performed on my car. They have changed the ignition coil & along w/ all 4 spark plugs & the tech test drove the car & they said it "fell flat on its face". So they took it back to the service bay & they are doing further testing & will update me soon on the next step.

So I mentioned to them to tell the tech to do a compression check to send them into another direction then they are at right now, however tho I a very happy at the moment, not that my car is messed up but for the fact they someone is finally seeing the issue & willing to check further. This has been much awaited for!

They also commented & said to me did the other dealership work on this previously & I said yeah they kept it two weeks then refused after that, & they just go oh ok & that was it. Seemed kinda strange they would bring up that, maybe they are confused as to maybe why they released the car in a OK check state & and as needless to say that wasn't the case.

But in any event I will keep everyone updated as this plays out, hopefully get this fixed soon so I can get back to enjoying my car!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Update : I got a call from the dealership today letting me know what they have performed on my car. They have changed the ignition coil & along w/ all 4 spark plugs & the tech test drove the car & they said it "fell flat on its face". So they took it back to the service bay & they are doing further testing & will update me soon on the next step.

So I mentioned to them to tell the tech to do a compression check to send them into another direction then they are at right now, however tho I a very happy at the moment, not that my car is messed up but for the fact they someone is finally seeing the issue & willing to check further. This has been much awaited for!

They also commented & said to me did the other dealership work on this previously & I said yeah they kept it two weeks then refused after that, & they just go oh ok & that was it. Seemed kinda strange they would bring up that, maybe they are confused as to maybe why they released the car in a OK check state & and as needless to say that wasn't the case.

But in any event I will keep everyone updated as this plays out, hopefully get this fixed soon so I can get back to enjoying my car!
Step one to getting it fixed - have the tech experience the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Sounds like your making progress, that's good news. Let's hope this gets it fixed for good.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
under is my vote. If the OP is at lordstown in a rental that would be bad. I will buy him a dinner either way if he is there. :grin:

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
under is my vote. If the OP is at lordstown in a rental that would be bad. I will buy him a dinner either way if he is there. :grin:
I don't think the guys who assembled his car would be very happy either if he shows up in a rental.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
This is what I am hoping for under two weeks! But most importantly the Tech sees what is wrong finally since 1/29/16 I been trying to get someone to notice this issue & finally whew!

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
I just wanted to also note, my warranty expires in 12 days from now so I got lucky on that part. But w/ my CCL ( Component Cover Letter ); which covers all the following can a few of you guy/gals give me a run down if this basically covers the whole engine or is there parts I will be responsible for ? I just want to educate myself w/ all this before hand as it will kick in after 13th.

CCL - Engine : The Following engine component will be covered : All internally lubricated engine parts; block; heads; manifolds; oil pan; mounts; seals; gaskets; starter; flywheel; harmonic balancer; belt tensioner; water pump; the entire pressurized fuel system; injectors; all internal engine actuators & electrical components; control modules and module programming; diesel injection pump/glow plugs if applicable and throttle body.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I just wanted to also note, my warranty expires in 12 days from now so I got lucky on that part. But w/ my CCL ( Component Cover Letter ); which covers all the following can a few of you guy/gals give me a run down if this basically covers the whole engine or is there parts I will be responsible for ? I just want to educate myself w/ all this before hand as it will kick in after 13th.

CCL - Engine : The Following engine component will be covered : All internally lubricated engine parts; block; heads; manifolds; oil pan; mounts; seals; gaskets; starter; flywheel; harmonic balancer; belt tensioner; water pump; the entire pressurized fuel system; injectors; all internal engine actuators & electrical components; control modules and module programming; diesel injection pump/glow plugs if applicable and throttle body.
For the most part, the whole engine/trans......key word(s) is/are: All internally lubricated parts......that means anything that gets wet with oil that makes the crankshaft turn.
This includes components required as a consequence of the failure, such as other fluids, gaskets, seals.....even plugs if required for the repair.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
For the most part, the whole engine/trans......key word(s) is/are: All internally lubricated parts......that means anything that gets wet with oil that makes the crankshaft turn.
This includes components required as a consequence of the failure, such as other fluids, gaskets, seals.....even plugs if required for the repair.

Rob
Well that makes me feel better because I would really be concerned if my warranty would run out & w/ all these problem. I feel more delighted knowing I will have full Engine coverage, this doesn't include the transmission as GM advisor mentioned the repeat engine issue's was a big concern & opt-to provide me that coverage at no additional charge which I think was cool.

Now this would cover like the "Turbo" as it don't specifically state this, but its internally oil wet right?, & as you mentioned it for the most part the whole engine, all "major parts"

Now one part of this I am still not understanding correctly; it states "Electrical Components" : would this include ignition coil if ever failed ( actually new one was put on today ); & all other electrical components that would keep the car going? Or is there any under line catches in this?

·
2,170 Posts
I'm Taking Bets......Over or Under May 1 that it get fixed......I am 1 vote for over!
I really really would like to think it'll be under. However, I am not optimistic given what I have read so far so if I were to actually bet money, I'd bet over. :( Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Either way, I'm glad some action is happening, and even more glad we're getting frequent updates. At this point, even I am invested in this story, and I want a happy ending!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well that makes me feel better because I would really be concerned if my warranty would run out & w/ all these problem. I feel more delighted knowing I will have full Engine coverage, this doesn't include the transmission as GM advisor mentioned the repeat engine issue's was a big concern & opt-to provide me that coverage at no additional charge which I think was cool.

Now this would cover like the "Turbo" as it don't specifically state this, but its internally oil wet right?, & as you mentioned it for the most part the whole engine, all "major parts"

Now one part of this I am still not understanding correctly; it states "Electrical Components" : would this include ignition coil if ever failed ( actually new one was put on today ); & all other electrical components that would keep the car going? Or is there any under line catches in this?
Electrical parts, such as a coil, would not be covered under powertrain (doesn't get oiled) unless it was damaged in some way during disassembly or reassembly.......hence, something requires replacement as a RESULT of performing a covered repair.
That example above (the coil) is one of those VERRRRRRY gray type claims that would have the dealer doing some serious documentation before they'd get paid, BTW.

Rob

201 - 220 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.