Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
221 - 240 of 307 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Update : The dealership has called me today & let me know that they did a compression check on the engine finally; & it seems they are getting 0psi on Cylinder #1 so they told me that they had to tear further into the engine & remove the head for further inspection. So finally we are actually getting to the actual core of the issue now.

So what would be next here?, I have to go tomorrow to get a rental after finally getting it checked & made sure its covered under warranty which it is! - So what is next here & should I be pushing for a new engine or is rebuilding this one going to be good enough? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
I imagine it depends on what they find. If it's scratched up due to the bad piston being in there so long, they might replace it. But it sounds like you're well on your way to a proper fix.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
My guess is that there's probably no new in the box engine lying around GMSPO somewhere. That if you do get a replacement engine then you will get a rebuild.

Either way, there's a lot of components that will be transferred from your existing engine to its replacement.

I'm not sure that one is a better option than the other. Let them complete their inspection and see what shakes out.

The good news is that you're finally on the right track. And you should post the names of both dealerships.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Hallelujah. That's something they should have done LONG ago.

You won't get a new engine. They'll put a new piston in and button her back up.
At this point it will be fine for really; no one will hear any complaints out of me. If it runs good & doesn't perform bad, I am happy. But at this point I am just delighted now it seems to be going in the right direction & I can see it repaired soon!

Now from the time the car started doing this is 1/29/16 - so maybe this is when it first went bad?, so maybe its scored to point they have to be forced changing the engine, however if the tech says its good & they just replace the piston & close it back up fine by me.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Yikes why they didn't do this before is just unbelievable. While it was sitting for a week for the previous tech, this procedure should have been completed by another tech. I would be pushing for a new engine. If one cylinder had bad rings and or piston what says that won't happen to another?

Amazing how how it ran before reasonably well. But it has been using oil for the whole time you have been in for repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Jeez.....finally.

If there is a scrape of any sort in the bore, the entire engine will be replaced.
There are no remans in the pipeline and the engine is complete with head.

If the bores are undamaged, the dealer can replace just the failed part.......

At least this thing is finally playing out.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Josh I had same thing happened to me. After they fixed and it blew oil shortly after, they were smart enough to check the compression. The engine was replaced. Four months later clouded exhaust scared me and I had just received a $2000 bump up on my GM card so we replaced it with a 2014 cruze lt automatic. I had a 2011 eco manual with 50,000 on it. The 2014 has been great but the 2011 had a lot of issues. I like the looks of generation 2 of the cruze. I would wait to see how they perform before I buy one. GM was great about it. Always had loaner vehicles and they paid for everything.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Update: Well I was at the dealership today & spoke w/ the nice lady's at the front service desk about my Cruze, well they mentioned to me the same on the phone w/ the 0 compression on the Cylinder #1 - & they said they had to get GM techs a call to discuss the next phase of what is next?, Shouldn't GM just go ahead & say hey tear the engine down for further investigation or what? Just a bit confused why they need to call GM techs to get approval I am guessing right?

Then once they explained the best they could which hey at this point I have gotten more then I EVER got at the other dealership! Then they put me in a really nice 2014 Cruze LT - its not the Turbo but hey it runs nice! - So I am just hanging out and waiting now.

I am seriously considering trading in on a new GEN 2 Cruze maybe later on end of next year or so - not really sure yet tho, kinda attached this car I really like it as most have already gotten from me from the beginning of this lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
They cannot proceed with a warranty repair like that without conformation / direction on next steps from GM.

Robby knows the process best of any of us and hopefully he'll chime in tonight.

Reactions: obermd

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
They cannot proceed with a warranty repair like that without conformation / direction on next steps from GM.

Robby knows the process best of any of us and hopefully he'll chime in tonight.
You know w/ all that waiting for GM hey that is still fine. At least now we are starting to finally make some progress is great & the issue is finally looking them in the face :)

·
Premium Member
8,012 Posts
they said they had to get GM techs a call to discuss the next phase of what is next?, Shouldn't GM just go ahead & say hey tear the engine down for further investigation or what? Just a bit confused why they need to call GM techs to get approval I am guessing right?
It's the golden rule - he who has the gold makes the rules. GM is paying, so the dealer isn't going to do anything without their OK. GM has a choice: teardown or replace. And frankly, the replace option isn't off the table until they know that a cost-effective but good rebuild can be done (no engine damage).

Rather than a teardown, I'd think they'd want a borescope to see what the inside of #1 looked like.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
ChevyGuy is spot on.

From this point forward the dealer is actually the consumer.......they will be told what steps to take and report findings.
A cost to repair analysis will take place by Chevy and the dealer is then instructed on how to proceed.

So far (finally) it appears you have found a dealer that is well versed in the policy and proceedures of the corporation.

Now it just plays out.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
You know w/ all that waiting for GM hey that is still fine. At least now we are starting to finally make some progress is great & the issue is finally looking them in the face :smile:
Just be prepared for a slow process. I know when I had my pistons replaced - the dealer advised any parts would go standard shipping - no overnight/next day delivery of warranty parts.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Just be prepared for a slow process. I know when I had my pistons replaced - the dealer advised any parts would go standard shipping - no overnight/next day delivery of warranty parts.
Well I am Ok w/ a slow progress, this has been a slow process up to this point w/o a resolution. So now w/ finally someone taking notice to the core issue, I think I can wait a little longer for the proper fix on my Cruze, so I can finally get back to riding & enjoying my Cruze!

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Update : Well, I haven't heard anything on my Cruze as of yet, so I am assuming they are working closer to a resolution to my engine trouble. Once I get a update I'll update this thread w/ the next phase of the saga!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Update: Well I was at the dealership today & spoke w/ the nice lady's at the front service desk about my Cruze, well they mentioned to me the same on the phone w/ the 0 compression on the Cylinder #1 - & they said they had to get GM techs a call to discuss the next phase of what is next?, Shouldn't GM just go ahead & say hey tear the engine down for further investigation or what? Just a bit confused why they need to call GM techs to get approval I am guessing right?

Then once they explained the best they could which hey at this point I have gotten more then I EVER got at the other dealership! Then they put me in a really nice 2014 Cruze LT - its not the Turbo but hey it runs nice! - So I am just hanging out and waiting now.

I am seriously considering trading in on a new GEN 2 Cruze maybe later on end of next year or so - not really sure yet tho, kinda attached this car I really like it as most have already gotten from me from the beginning of this lol.
If you have an american made 2014 cruze 1 LT I am about 99% sure you have a turbo.

221 - 240 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.