Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
101 - 120 of 307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Wouldn't they have to advise me of such damages? & trust me I got a eye if something has changed on my car. lol Now I am starting to get more paranoid now ha ha, my wife has made a joke as well, they may have damaged the car.

Got my mind wondering now guys..........
I had the big chrome steel bumper on my caprice damaged while at the dealer. It was like they struck the side against one of the lift pillars or something. It had been polished out by someone but I never found the damage until I washed the car a week or so later. It was too late and I couldn't prove anything: so that was that.

Also on that caprice and at the same dealership I had taken the car in for an alignment. The technician ripped out the inner splash shields while adjusting the camber or caster. I receive the car back and immediately open the hood and ask where the splash shields are. I'm told "oh, you don't need those". So I ask why GM put them in there in the first place? I had to go to the service manager and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

My father had his caprice in the dealer to replace the starter. It was about eight years old at that point and the technician removed a frame cross brace and never reinstalled it. When the car came back from service I went under the car and discovered that the heavy metal brace was removed so I complained.

At first they told me that I didn't need that part. So I asked them why the car left the factory with it? Then they said that they threw the part away. So they said they would get parts from a wrecked car. So I went to somebody I knew in management and he sent their manager an email and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

These stories are from another time. 20-25 years ago. But they may still apply to some shops.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
I had the big chrome steel bumper on my caprice damaged while at the dealer. It was like they struck the side against one of the lift pillars or something. It had been polished out by someone but I never found the damage until I washed the car a week or so later. It was too late and I couldn't prove anything: so that was that.

Also on that caprice and at the same dealership I had taken the car in for an alignment. The technician ripped out the inner splash shields while adjusting the camber or caster. I receive the car back and immediately open the hood and ask where the splash shields are. I'm told "oh, you don't need those". So I ask why GM put them in there in the first place? I had to go to the service manager and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

My father had his caprice in the dealer to replace the starter. It was about eight years old at that point and the technician removed a frame cross brace and never reinstalled it. When the car came back from service I went under the car and discovered that the heavy metal brace was removed so I complained.

At first they told me that I didn't need that part. So I asked them why the car left the factory with it? Then they said that they threw the part away. So they said they would get parts from a wrecked car. So I went to somebody I knew in management and he sent their manager an email and new parts and fasteners were ordered and later installed.

These stories are from another time. 20-25 years ago. But they may still apply to some shops.

Lets hope the standards are more better today huh? But I have used this dealer many times & they have did outstanding 5 star work, this is what is baffling me as to why no updates & keeping me in the dark? I just can't wrap my head around nearly 2 weeks to do what they call "extensive road test" - The car on tuesday last week "intake manifold" bad then replace & started road testing; then nearly 2 weeks & still road test & what makes it bad as mentioned in above post no "updates" what so ever; it would have been nice to just say hey so far the car is running up to standards & we are nearing completion. I am getting nothing but stood in the dark & await til they decide to update me & say here's your car.

Sorry about rambling on & on about this; just get a bit nerve wrecking. But it'll soon pass.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
Seriously though - who are you talking to in their service department? You should ask to speak to either the service manager or foreman and get them to figure out what the heck is actually going on. Are they open Saturday's?

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Seriously though - who are you talking to in their service department? You should ask to speak to either the service manager or foreman and get them to figure out what the heck is actually going on. Are they open Saturday's?
When I get a call its the service writer - & no they are not opened on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Contact the GM rep on this here forum ... see if you can get any help that way

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Update: Well Monday has came & gone. Didn't hear from the dealership at all, so I am assuming they are slacking or my car maybe a crushed can?, I really shouldn't joke this way what if it was? Oh serve paranoia! Lol - Well all jokes asides, its hard to tell now if they are just pulling me along & slacking on working or if they are really working on it, I am starting to think a visit to the dealership is at hand. The only thing I don't like doing this for is coming off being "pushy" these techs at dealerships have there hands full & I fully respect that & plus I am not the "only" one they are working for. So I try not to be self centered & think its all about me. But tomorrow will be "2 weeks" since they told me "intake manifold is bad" & that was the last real update I have received.

Well once I get further updates I'll update everyone here. Just continue to follow the saga it shall continue............

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Drop in unannounced and ask to speak to the service manager. Tell them they've had your car for two weeks with no updates.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Update : Not sure what happened this thread half the posts are gone?, Anyways, well I went picked up my car today - it was ok for the first 4 to 5 miles, then I begin to get a mixture of "blue" & "white" smoke it was just random really. The car isn't using as much oil now haven't let it drain down good enough to check but I will later as it cools down or in the morning for a good reading. But the car is still letting out rattles & pining sounds under load, & this time it did something different while going up hill - the check engine light came on & the service stabli bar or something came on blinking for a few then went off, well after another 8 to 10 miles the check engine light started blinking & then went off & that was it thus far nothing else has happened.

The report shows there was a drain valve missing in the intake manifold which prompted them to replace the whole manifold & drove it 150miles Operation OK. The car is still giving the same symptoms minus the oil ( won't really tell til it cools & I check it. ); so I am not sure if there tech is incompetent or ignoring the issue at hand.

I am at a loss here & just about had all I can take w/ this car.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Not sure what happened to my post just now? You guys having database rolling back or issues w/ the mysql?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man, I'm sorry you've had to go through this whole ordeal. I've had my pcv valve go bad three times, but never had symptoms as bad as yours. The idle would be all messed up. First time it was done they didn't screw it own right and when I got home I had this huge oil leak in the driveway. They just replaced it a third time and I have some small leak that seems to coming from the oil filler cap. Looks like the o-ring on the cap is missing. It wasn't leaking when I took it in. And hearing about cracked pistons is scary. I've seen POS Kia's and Hyundai engines not getting cracked pistons, is this what GM has come too? I've got friends with new Camaros complaining that the interior trim is already falling apart. While the car was getting the tranny replaced last year, I had a new Impala loaner, with the 305hp V-6. That was a nice car. Been thinking of getting one but with all this negative feedback with Chevy and the dishonest service dealers here in Orlando I'm skeptical about getting another GM product. For the money I'd spend I should get a new paint job on my 86 SS, maybe swap in a crate 350 if my current engine does in fact have a rear main seal leak, and the interior trim on this 30 year old car is in good shape.

HOpe you get the issue resolved. I'd call the regional customer care center and tell them about your problem, they might recommend you take t to a different dealer. 1-800-950-2438

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Not sure what happened to my post just now? You guys having database rolling back or issues w/ the mysql?
Now fixed. Please proceed as normal.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
Update : Not sure what happened this thread half the posts are gone?, Anyways, well I went picked up my car today - it was ok for the first 4 to 5 miles, then I begin to get a mixture of "blue" & "white" smoke it was just random really. The car isn't using as much oil now haven't let it drain down good enough to check but I will later as it cools down or in the morning for a good reading. But the car is still letting out rattles & pining sounds under load, & this time it did something different while going up hill - the check engine light came on & the service stabli bar or something came on blinking for a few then went off, well after another 8 to 10 miles the check engine light started blinking & then went off & that was it thus far nothing else has happened.

The report shows there was a drain valve missing in the intake manifold which prompted them to replace the whole manifold & drove it 150miles Operation OK. The car is still giving the same symptoms minus the oil ( won't really tell til it cools & I check it. ); so I am not sure if there tech is incompetent or ignoring the issue at hand.

Are you mechanically inclined?

Rent a compression tester from an auto parts store. Test compression yourself on each cylinder - I think you'll probably find one low.

Video it, take a picture, or something, and drive right back to the dealer...or another dealer...

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

Don't get mad at the car......get upset with the dealer.

Your description (now) indicates they failed to remove the intercooler (air charge cooler) and drain the accumulated oil out of it.
As soon as you started to get into a deeper throttle position, the engine started to vacuum the accumulated oil into the throttle from the intercooler.......smoke and whatever a engine ingesting oil is the result.......

If I am correct, the problem will recur every time there is a high vacuum (pressure) situation.

The part in the manifold is a check valve and, yes, manifold replacement is required.....however.... the manual instructs the repairman to drain the accumulated oil from the intercooler PRIOR to returning the car to service as part of a successful repair.

Sucks.................for you......sorry you have to jump through these hoops.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Update : Well after getting GM into the mix of this situation; I get a call from my case worker at GM, & it seems they have refused to accept my car back for further repairs. However I was gone at the time of the message I call the dealership w/ my cell to make appointment to get it back in there for further repairs, well I get to talk to the service manager who was very rude to me & just said take it back to the original dealer & don't bring it back there the only thing he didn't do is tell me the F off, which that might have been more respectful then the ear full I got from them

Now regarding the car Robby, well the smoking has nearly quit. However it still comes out randomly & the ratting / pinging seems to have slowed down - however the power loss is still there - The rattle or pinging whichever it decides to do at the time is still there. Now I am for sure getting a leak at the throttle body onto the transmission case, & there is a small leak somewhere under the car which is oil because when I moved my car out of the driveway this morning there is a small puddle about side of a quarter there. & the car has only consumed a quart of oil in 38/miles today.

Question ). If the car had to get the accumulated oil out of the intercooler wouldn't that have been all burned out during the 150 miles they test drove my car on?

So I have now contacted another dealership that is gonna take my car in for inspection & repair this week coming; so what do you think w/ these issues here that have slowed down - should I still get a compression check? Do you think this is still possible cracked pistons?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Update : Well after getting GM into the mix of this situation; I get a call from my case worker at GM, & it seems they have refused to accept my car back for further repairs. However I was gone at the time of the message I call the dealership w/ my cell to make appointment to get it back in there for further repairs, well I get to talk to the service manager who was very rude to me & just said take it back to the original dealer & don't bring it back there the only thing he didn't do is tell me the F off, which that might have been more respectful then the ear full I got from them

Now regarding the car Robby, well the smoking has nearly quit. However it still comes out randomly & the ratting / pinging seems to have slowed down - however the power loss is still there - The rattle or pinging whichever it decides to do at the time is still there. Now I am for sure getting a leak at the throttle body onto the transmission case, & there is a small leak somewhere under the car which is oil because when I moved my car out of the driveway this morning there is a small puddle about side of a quarter there. & the car has only consumed a quart of oil in 38/miles today.

Question ). If the car had to get the accumulated oil out of the intercooler wouldn't that have been all burned out during the 150 miles they test drove my car on?

So I have now contacted another dealership that is gonna take my car in for inspection & repair this week coming; so what do you think w/ these issues here that have slowed down - should I still get a compression check? Do you think this is still possible cracked pistons?
First, your car should consume no measurable oil.....period...........in less than 1000 miles for a badly worn engine, which I doubt applies to you.

Tell the new dealer, as well as provide all paperwork related to this event, that dealer #1, has thrown his arms up and said find another dealer.

Let them know the car is consuming vast quantities of oil, is often smoking, and is leaking oil from the throttle body area and it is accumulating under the car.......also let them know the dealer had the car almost three weeks and this is the condition it was returned in.

Avoid any 'Woe is me stories.....save those for church.

Just the facts and then let them have at it.....make certain you leave them EVERY method available to reach you......nothing aggravates a repair shop more than a customer that gives numbers to nowhere.

If your reporting has been honest, you have done a good job of not pestering the last dealer.......give this new dealer the same treatment and remember that this is a new problem to them and they aren't responsible for the jacking you have been going through.

Keep in touch,

Rob

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Wow I didn't know a dealer can just do that and give up. I never heard of that before now. I guess take it back to the dealer where you bought the car.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Wow I didn't know a dealer can just do that and give up. I never heard of that before now. I guess take it back to the dealer where you bought the car.
Yep, that is exactly what I am gonna do. I made appointment & will get it into them & see what they can do to resolve the issue, but my mind is blown to think this dealership a professional shop would act like this. The worse thing about it is they told GM directly they wouldn't accept it back. & the way the GM rep talked they wasn't to pleased w/ this choice. But oh well I talked highly of this shop & for them to do this its just a complete shame but oh well off I go to another shop & this one will lose more business from me. I used to get all my brake pad's installed, oil changes, tire rotation, all my safety inspections done yearly, but not anymore!!

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Are you mechanically inclined?

Rent a compression tester from an auto parts store. Test compression yourself on each cylinder - I think you'll probably find one low.

Video it, take a picture, or something, and drive right back to the dealer...or another dealer...
I am not mechanically inclined, I can do the basics. But I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my coil pack off & plugs out, & doing this. So hopefully this new dealership where I am taking the car to here soon will do a compression check & hopefully put a end to this mess. Its frustrating to say the less I tell ya.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I also wanted to mention as I forgot this part, well on the way home w/ the Cruze I smelled this kinda like ceramic burning. But this went away after around 15miles & hasn't returned. Maybe where they put a new "intake manifold" on? Anyone experience this?, Again its not doing it now.

101 - 120 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.