Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
141 - 160 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I'd find a new dealership to service my vehicle if I were you ... that's way too long to put up with mediocre results at best!

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I'd find a new dealership to service my vehicle if I were you ... that's way too long to put up with mediocre results at best!
Yep the 2 weeks was unacceptable in my opinion & I am sure most if not all here would agree. So yeah its been towed to another dealership after the last dealership has rejected the car & finally cut there loss & gave up. So now I am awaiting update from new dealership, to me right now I have no hope at this point & I am just awaiting to pick up my patched up car again. I am crossing my fingers tho in hopes this dealer doesn't do me this way.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I dont understand why your babying that thing?! Who cares about the oil consumtion, you should of done yourself a favor and drove it till it blew up, then new engine.
o
r
Yeah I want to prevent any reliability & plus to me that would be wrong - so I couldn't bring myself to do anything corrupt or simply doing something I know would do harm to my engine.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Update : Well the dealership called me & said they found the issue & it seems I have another blown turbo & its being replaced & should get my car back tomorrow. But what is alarming to me is that the turbo was replaced I want to say a year ago, I'd have to go through my service records to find exact date, but I know it hasn't been to long ago.

So this makes me wonder what is making it go through turbo this quickly? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Update : Well the dealership called me & said they found the issue & it seems I have another blown turbo & its being replaced & should get my car back tomorrow. But what is alarming to me is that the turbo was replaced I want to say a year ago, I'd have to go through my service records to find exact date, but I know it hasn't been to long ago.

So this makes me wonder what is making it go through turbo this quickly? Suggestions?
It is possible that the first turbo failure was a result of a restricted oil feed line (since redesigned)......if this was the case, it is what killed your first and now the second turbo.

Latest instructions call for oil line replacement in conjunction with the turbo.

The oil feed line now has a heat wrap shielding the line as it passes near the turbo to prevent the oil from 'coking' in the line and restricting flow.

Best guess without reading your previous RO.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
It is possible that the first turbo failure was a result of a restricted oil feed line (since redesigned)......if this was the case, it is what killed your first and now the second turbo.

Latest instructions call for oil line replacement in conjunction with the turbo.

The oil feed line now has a heat wrap shielding the line as it passes near the turbo to prevent the oil from 'coking' in the line and restricting flow.

Best guess without reading your previous RO.

Rob
Well it had a turbo replaced about a year ago which had that foil looking wrap on it all lines was changed due to 'coking' it off. This will make my fourth (4) turbo I will be on. So I am honestly hoping this resolved the issue at hand, but only time will tell once I get it back.

Question tho, I have been reading that possible Piston issue?, Now can they mistakenly blame the turbo as the primary issue? However I am sure if the turbo isn't at fault here I am sure it will act up yet again correct?

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Kinda went thru this on my car - first was told the Turbo was blown due to the oil line, then since the car was still smoking after turbo replacement, was told new head and pistons needed. My car never left the dealer - for 2 weeks. I picked it up and drove it maybe 15 mins and traded it for a new car. At least for those 15 mins there was no smoke and the car ran good. The sales guy that took my car said it drove fine for him.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Kind of a 'what came first, the chicken or the egg' type question.

Yes, a turbo failure can be a cause or a result of a different failure.
It can also be the cause OF a secondary failure.

First, a compression test should be taken......this 'generally' tells if the engine is mechanically sound......I say generally because a compression test only proves the compression rings and their lands (grooves) are sealing well enough to support combustion, however, the oil control rings can be blown apart and compression can be acceptable.......so this is not a 'end all' test.
If compression is good, the next step in this case is to look at the turbo......off the car.
If the bearing is good, the vanes can be easily rotated with the fingertip with no binding.
If the output side seal has failed, the vanes on the output side will be soaked with oil, the intercooler will have a large quantity of oil accumulated and all the corresponding intake (charge) tubing will be wet with oil, as well as the throttle body and intake manifold.

If the drive side (exaust) seal has failed, it will be coated with white, barbecued oil residue and the inlet side of the catalyst screen will be wet(ish) with oil......however, a very close examination of the exaust ports for oil residue should take place......failed oil rings or lands will leave the same residue.
If the ports are wet, it is unlikely the turbo seal has failed. Unlikely, does not mean absolute though.

Next, the turbo vanes on the exaust side are looked at veeeery closely for any evidence of a blade strike......a dent, a chip, any deformation between blades.
Any evidence of a blade strike means a bit of broken piston was ejected into the exaust and the turbo chewed it up.

Yes, some of the model year 2011 did experience piston failure......some engines have had the pistons replaced with success.
The key is, there is no acceptable bore damage from a broken piston or ring......any damage requires engine replacement as well as the turbo.

I mentioned a turbo can be a cause of failure:

If a charge side seal fails it starts out as a very small leak.......this accumulates in the intercooler over time.
If you look at the intercooler the charge pipe leading to the throttle body is about five air tubes (rows) above the bottom.
This allows oil to accumulate and with a normal operating engine, should never get high enough to obstruct intake air flow.

If the turbo seal fails on the intake side, the oil level rises rapidly....to the point where air is actually passing through the oil as bubbles causing a rather violent oil storm in there.
In a deep, prolonged throttle application, like you have it almost floored getting onto the highway, the accumulated oil gets drawn all the way to the throttle body and inhaled.......a little bit makes lots of smoke......a little more makes lots of smoke and uncontrolled spark knock, and more than that makes lots of smoke, lots of spark knock, and a moment of hydrolock.
The last two scenarios break piston ring lands and rings.......so, an engine that only needed a turbo replaced, but did not get its intake system cleaned of accumulated oil, ends up being damaged.

Good grief!

I just re read this book.....no wonder my fingers hurt.

Anyways, you can see how this can be a multi horned problem that requires a mechanic to put together every scenario if a successful repair is going to take place.

Sorry if I went too deep.

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Well said Robby, lets hope this repair was taken seriously & not just rushed. But time will tell the whole story once I receive it back. Again thanks Robby for the detailed response on all the possibilities it could be.

I will update further once I receive my car back........

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Well said Robby, lets hope this repair was taken seriously & not just rushed. But time will tell the whole story once I receive it back. Again thanks Robby for the detailed response on all the possibilities it could be.

I will update further once I receive my car back........
if I read this correctly you are on four turbos in this car? I couldn't get rid of the car fast enough. Heck you must have a tow truck driver on speed dial?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
if I read this correctly you are on four turbos in this car? I couldn't get rid of the car fast enough. Heck you must have a tow truck driver on speed dial?
Maybe this dealership will do the job right. I'd wager the other three turbos were replaced at the same dealership. I ran into this with my Montana - kept burning out one ABS hub. Even with Pontiac engineers helping them they still didn't repair my van properly. The next time I took it to a different dealership and they found the actual problem with the Pontiac engineer recommended repair (wasn't the engineer's fault - the tech didn't do the job properly.)

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Maybe this dealership will do the job right. I'd wager the other three turbos were replaced at the same dealership. I ran into this with my Montana - kept burning out one ABS hub. Even with Pontiac engineers helping them they still didn't repair my van properly. The next time I took it to a different dealership and they found the actual problem with the Pontiac engineer recommended repair (wasn't the engineer's fault - the tech didn't do the job properly.)
I hear ya, I would still have the car gone. A car is just a transportation device, once it spends too much time in the shop I get rid of them. plus once it's out of warranty a turbo will hit your wallet and I don't have the time to deal with towing it everywhere and all that jazz. I have multiple cars trucks but I still don't want to go thru 4 turbos. I do hope it fixes it for this Cruze owner for sure.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Yep you read that correctly, this will be the fourth turbo on the car. But what really blows my mind is this previous turbo lasted about a year I think again I'd need to check service records to make a confirmation of that. But anyhow it shouldn't be doing this; far as getting rid of my Cruze nah I can't do that.

GM has offered me trade assistance cash to go towards another car, but I don't want to get rid of my Cruze - that to me isn't a option as I told them. So they have extended my warranty which is about to expire here soon! So whew on that & that make me sleep better at night, knowing I am gonna be covered longer.

So I am playing it by ear now & awaiting the dealership to call back tomorrow hopefully when the turbo has been replaced & I can go pick it up & fingers crossed it drives as good as the day I purchased it!

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
Update : As per my last update my Turbo was blown again; well today the service advisor calls me & let me know that my car still isn't ready as they needed to order "seals" that it needed - I asked what seals was bad?, They responded well I am not sure on that but I will receive another call once the car has been completed on repairs. So here I am again :confused: I bet I get some answers when I get my paper work w/ all the stuff that been done.

I sure hope I am not getting the run around again as I did w/ the previous dealership wow if so that would be to much......

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Update : As per my last update my Turbo was blown again; well today the service advisor calls me & let me know that my car still isn't ready as they needed to order "seals" that it needed - I asked what seals was bad?, They responded well I am not sure on that but I will receive another call once the car has been completed on repairs. So here I am again :confused: I bet I get some answers when I get my paper work w/ all the stuff that been done.

I sure hope I am not getting the run around again as I did w/ the previous dealership wow if so that would be to much......
I think when they say seals are bad and they don't give you an answer that is just unacceptable. It's your car, you deserve honest communication as to what repairs are being made. Are they providing a loaner car?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The service advisor may not have the exact seals information. It should definitely be on the paperwork. I also recommend talking to the tech to see what he found. Many times the write up is incomplete.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
I think when they say seals are bad and they don't give you an answer that is just unacceptable. It's your car, you deserve honest communication as to what repairs are being made. Are they providing a loaner car?
Yes I know but I also know there job is hard enough & I try to be as flexible as possible w/ people. I know there jobs are not easy & I don't need to add to that stress, but on the other hand I do deserve the right to know exactly what is going on; & as obermd pointed out the service advisor may not have full information on what is being done. & yes I have a loaner.

The service advisor may not have the exact seals information. It should definitely be on the paperwork. I also recommend talking to the tech to see what he found. Many times the write up is incomplete.
I will make sure I speak to someone that can give me a run down on what exactly was wrong & what was the resolution to the problem & will I have any further issues after leaving the lot w/ it. I think this time I will require a bit more in-depth detail on what was found & done to correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Your car has had frequent problems and 4 turbos being replaced. Asking questions and requesting answers is not adding stress to their job. I would be in the shop at least once asking questions and requesting answers. I just respectfully disagree with your approach. When the dealer says something to me that isn't reasonable I am just a bulldog and get what I am asking for, I do it in a professional manner but always get what I am asking for. I would want to have a face to face conversation with the tech for a few minutes discussing all the issues, not the least of which is why in the world have I gone thru 4 turbos while under warranty? I do a fair amount of long distance travel in my Cruze, I would want to know how they are addressing my cars problems so I have confidence I can go out of state with my car.

141 - 160 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.