Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
161 - 180 of 307 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Update : Ok here is the latest on my car, I got a call from the advisor letting me know my car has been repaired & is ready for pickup! So here I am excited I roll over to the dealership & go into the service department, & they go over what was done & what they did to repair my car in detail w/o me having to hound them to do it ( That was awesome! ); So here is the run down from the service slip I have posted here :

- TurboCharger
- Gasket
- PIPE
- SEAL
- DEXCOOL
- Connector
- PIPE
- PIPE
The "seals" I was mentioning in my previous reply seems was there was a leak found at the rear of the turbo & they replaced the seals & still found leak so they replaced the PIPES.

Now the bad news!!!!! : Well the car seemed to be doing really nice smooth running & pickup speed & responded quickly for the first 15miles. Then all at once the car shuttered some & then jerked alittle let one pop sound out & The engine light came on - so now by this time the service center has closed at the dealership so I keep heading home & during the drive I would push the gas alittle & the engine would start blinking & the "stabilitrak" & "service traction control" lights came on & then would stay on briefly & then would go off - however the engine light is still on & if you accelerate the engine light will blink & then go back to just lit up.

Now what really got me puzzled is this car will run really smooth alot of the time but if you accelerate to much & then next time you push the gas man it will pop, jerk & engine blink .....

So its going back to the dealership tomorrow, so any thoughts on what you guys think it may be? I am honestly wanting to say "Pistons & Rings" But question you guys/gals do you think a car can run this smooth & have bad rings on the pistons?

Also note, there is no huge amount of oil on the transmission case *YET* however I can take my fingers & reach under the throttle body & bring back alot of wet oil. I am not savvy guy on cars but that isn't normal!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Update : Ok here is the latest on my car, I got a call from the advisor letting me know my car has been repaired & is ready for pickup! So here I am excited I roll over to the dealership & go into the service department, & they go over what was done & what they did to repair my car in detail w/o me having to hound them to do it ( That was awesome! ); So here is the run down from the service slip I have posted here :

The "seals" I was mentioning in my previous reply seems was there was a leak found at the rear of the turbo & they replaced the seals & still found leak so they replaced the PIPES.

Now the bad news!!!!! : Well the car seemed to be doing really nice smooth running & pickup speed & responded quickly for the first 15miles. Then all at once the car shuttered some & then jerked alittle let one pop sound out & The engine light came on - so now by this time the service center has closed at the dealership so I keep heading home & during the drive I would push the gas alittle & the engine would start blinking & the "stabilitrak" & "service traction control" lights came on & then would stay on briefly & then would go off - however the engine light is still on & if you accelerate the engine light will blink & then go back to just lit up.

Now what really got me puzzled is this car will run really smooth alot of the time but if you accelerate to much & then next time you push the gas man it will pop, jerk & engine blink .....

So its going back to the dealership tomorrow, so any thoughts on what you guys think it may be? I am honestly wanting to say "Pistons & Rings" But question you guys/gals do you think a car can run this smooth & have bad rings on the pistons?

Also note, there is no huge amount of oil on the transmission case *YET* however I can take my fingers & reach under the throttle body & bring back alot of wet oil. I am not savvy guy on cars but that isn't normal!
Sounds like it is possible the turbo went out again. When you drive slowly the turbo isn't working, when you accerlate a little harder it gets boost from turbo. Just my thoughts, hope I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts

I'm sure I said it before......you are going to have to ask......Are they remembering to flush the intercooler of accumulated oil? If it is oil loaded, the accumulated oil will be drawn into the throttle body every time you go into a deeper throttle position.......like entering a freeway.
That gigantic oil inhale will make it smoke, misfire, throw codes......then, as you throttle back, the accumulated oil calms down and sits in the intercooler till another deep throttle event.......this may explain why the engine smooths back out and runs normally when you drive slower after the event.

Of course, the code is set now and will remain for quite a while even if a misfire doesn't occur.
And it may not be a misfire code......if it is oil, the O2 sensor took quite a shot at the same time, disrupting the information it is sending out.

If the 'pipes' that were replaced were the plastic pipes for the intercooler, they required replacement because the oil that is not supposed to be in them, is softening the plastic......that part is a guess, btw.

If you can reproduce this event......take a mechanic for a ride, explaining that: it does this....when I do that.

What a incredible saga!

Rob

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
Robby : The service slip states it was the "cooling pipes" also states as it continues that it was due to leaking of the coolant out of the pipes from the rear of the turbo.

It shows total of 4 PIPES replaced.......

Also that this car is idling rough still yet, hangs around 700RPM & as I was backing into my driveway the car went down to 600PRMs & the lights started blinking during that! So I get out while idling & listen to the motor it sounds OK, but it doesn't sound like my engine before all this started. So I went to the rear of the car & bent down to exhaust & listened & it just sounds like its "loping" like there is a slight miss in the idle. like smooth then lope smooth lope, does this make sense? I apologize if this is confusing but just explaining best i know how.

So this is another step in this long drawn out saga.....

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Robby : The service slip states it was the "cooling pipes" also states as it continues that it was due to leaking of the coolant out of the pipes from the rear of the turbo.

Also that this car is idling rough still yet, hangs around 700RPM & as I was backing into my driveway the car went down to 600PRMs & the lights started blinking during that! So I get out while idling & listen to the motor it sounds OK, but it doesn't sound like my engine before all this started. So I went to the rear of the car & bent down to exhaust & listened & it just sounds like its "loping" like there is a slight miss in the idle. like smooth then lope smooth lope, does this make sense? I apologize if this is confusing but just explaining best i know how.

So this is another step in this long drawn out saga.....
Well, lets avoid muddying the water too much......we must keep in mind that this seemingly endless thread now involves a first repair attempt by a new dealer, so they deserve the same patience given to the last dealer.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
GAlso that this car is idling rough still yet, hangs around 700RPM & as I was backing into my driveway the car went down to 600PRMs & the lights started blinking during that! So I get out while idling & listen to the motor it sounds OK, but it doesn't sound like my engine before all this started. So I went to the rear of the car & bent down to exhaust & listened & it just sounds like its "loping" like there is a slight miss in the idle. like smooth then lope smooth lope, does this make sense? I apologize if this is confusing but just explaining best i know how.
Actually, this sounds like when my PCV disc went. And the cough and then no power sounds like that too.

Can you pull off the spark plug cover and listen for a hissing sound while running?

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
I still think there's a blown piston.
I am starting to think this as well, but Robby is making a good point as well on the accumulated oil left in the intake area. But wouldn't a trained tech know to clean this as part of the steps required for proper resolution to a issue of such in question? - But w/ broke piston would this give the same exact symptoms?; Run smooth, idle rough, given random knock, jerking, missing then smooth off again?

I am just here shooting in the dark on this; so forgive me if these sounds stupid.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Actually, this sounds like when my PCV disc went. And the cough and then no power sounds like that too.

Can you pull off the spark plug cover and listen for a hissing sound while running?
Well I don't hear any hissing tho, I actually raised the hood & listened. I also raised that "EcoTech" cover & put my thumb over that hole & it doesn't seem to do anything I don't feel any sucking or or anything that I can be aware of but again I am not fully aware of exactly what I am needing to feel or see happen during that time.

Plus I just had 2 replaced just not 3 weeks ago.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Well, lets avoid muddying the water too much......we must keep in mind that this seemingly endless thread now involves a first repair attempt by a new dealer, so they deserve the same patience given to the last dealer.

Rob
Patience I have robby, I just think maybe they should have driven it further then 5miles, my service slip shows 5miles out soooo maybe not enough to really get a chance to make something occur?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Patience I have robby, I just think maybe they should have driven it further then 5miles, my service slip shows 5miles out soooo maybe not enough to really get a chance to make something occur?
Well, that is why I suggested you take the tech for a ride to reproduce the event......that way, he can try to reproduce it himself after he/she believes the repair is successful.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Op here is one of the most patient car owners out there. Which is a good thing. It is sad that dealers send a car out without it being repaired properly. We all love our cruzes but they are not the most complicated car being made. Really sad to have a Cruze that a dealer doesn't seem to be able to repair properly. Stuff happens but this shouldn't happen on the drive home. Let's hope they can figure it out soon. Hang in there.

Reactions: joshuab

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Well, that is why I suggested you take the tech for a ride to reproduce the event......that way, he can try to reproduce it himself after he/she believes the repair is successful.

Rob
Yep, I will take this advise & go directly to the Tech & see if they will allow them to ride w/ me to show them how to duplicate such issue.

Op here is one of the most patient car owners out there. Which is a good thing. It is sad that dealers send a car out without it being repaired properly. We all love our cruzes but they are not the most complicated car being made. Really sad to have a Cruze that a dealer doesn't seem to be able to repair properly. Stuff happens but this shouldn't happen on the drive home. Let's hope they can figure it out soon. Hang in there.
Yep, I am trying to hang in there I must say now I am a little frustrated not w/ this new dealership. But w/ this whole situation; its been nearly two weeks again & here I am w/ the same repeat issue pretty much. I understand techs do there best I feel & want to provide as much patience's as possible as I am sure there is a few of these GM techs here & I am sure they will tell you at times there job's are hard & I try to a count that. I know I would want some flexibility from a client during a stressful time & I know my car isn't the only one they must be centered around :) I am selfless huh? lol

Also I want to note another thing; on my slip it doesn't show any compression check. My advisors over at GM who is actually helping me work my case to get my car fixed - mentioned a compression check to the manager yet they have failed to do this as of yet! Why would they avoid doing this?, Maybe there isn't enough symptoms to prompt one?

·
Registered
239 Posts
What prompted me to do a compression check was I got a misfire check engine code, so I replaced the spark plugs, cleared the code & then the next time I drove it I got a misfire in the same cylinder. However, this time it also burned through a quart of oil in 50 miles, would run rough, hard start, then run fine, then puffs of smoke & studer, etc. Sure enough it had 100 psi in cylinder #1 while the rest had 200 psi. 8 days later I had a new piston & cylinder head. They also cleaned out the entire intercooler system from oil. A compression check literally takes 15 minutes on this car...a heck of a lot fast than replacing a turbo as the first option.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Update : Well this morning to get a good reading of my oil consumption. So I go out & check it & it seems I have nearly used a half a quart from the dealership to my house, good grief. But not as bad as it was prior - this time tho there is no indication of any oil leaking anywhere, so I am assuming its burning it... So its back off to the dealership.....

Pretty Soon, your warranty will be up....
Yea, I that used to be a concern for me at before that is what I stressed to the GM advisor of mine that is working my case. So they decided to provide me w/ additional 4/yr extended warranty CCL ( Component Coverage Letter ); to cover the engine. So maybe that will hold it over for awhile & at the rate of this its gonna need it right?

What prompted me to do a compression check was I got a misfire check engine code, so I replaced the spark plugs, cleared the code & then the next time I drove it I got a misfire in the same cylinder. However, this time it also burned through a quart of oil in 50 miles, would run rough, hard start, then run fine, then puffs of smoke & studer, etc. Sure enough it had 100 psi in cylinder #1 while the rest had 200 psi. 8 days later I had a new piston & cylinder head. They also cleaned out the entire intercooler system from oil. A compression check literally takes 15 minutes on this car...a heck of a lot fast than replacing a turbo as the first option.
I am gonna see if they are willing to do a compression check, its like I am talking to a wall when it comes to this part of checking. Even GM has requested this to the dealership w/o any testing, they always coming up w/ other things that is "wrong" per say to them. So again as Robby mentioned I am gonna be patience w/ this new dealership as this issue is still new too them & hopefully they will find & correct the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Update : Well this morning to get a good reading of my oil consumption. So I go out & check it & it seems I have nearly used a half a quart from the dealership to my house, good grief. But not as bad as it was prior - this time tho there is no indication of any oil leaking anywhere, so I am assuming its burning it... So its back off to the dealership.....

Yea, I that used to be a concern for me at before that is what I stressed to the GM advisor of mine that is working my case. So they decided to provide me w/ additional 4/yr extended warranty CCL ( Component Coverage Letter ); to cover the engine. So maybe that will hold it over for awhile & at the rate of this its gonna need it right?

I am gonna see if they are willing to do a compression check, its like I am talking to a wall when it comes to this part of checking. Even GM has requested this to the dealership w/o any testing, they always coming up w/ other things that is "wrong" per say to them. So again as Robby mentioned I am gonna be patience w/ this new dealership as this issue is still new too them & hopefully they will find & correct the problem.
Extending warranty is good but it sounds like multiple dealerships haven't determined the core problem yet, 1/2 a quart of oil consumption in a short drive is a major concern. Sorta begs the question if the car was driven and the engine seized and they just replaced your engine if you might not be better off? I realize that sounds extreme but might be a better solution than your car being at the dealer for months at a time. Let's hope that doesn't happen but eventually there is an end to every rope, albeit your rope is longer than mine. :)

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Update : I just wanted to update everyone w/ my latest issues, whenever is this saga gonna end no one knows! Well I pulled out of my driveway & it seemed to be a little sluggish so I rolled down my back street pulled out on the may highway ( this is where things got awful ); so once I got out onto the highway I pushed the gas & the car started shuttering & missing like crazy & then I pushed the gas further down & the car stopped responding & then it came back to life & start jerking & it throw a huge cloud of blue smoke & it clacked a few times. So I turn the car back around & take it back to the house & called roadside assistance. During this time frame of the tow truck driver's arrival - It was previously half quart low then when I got back into the driveway after that I let it set & drain down & now its barely touching the dipstick - so I am at a loss here...

But non the less its back at the dealership awaiting to be checked out & then get myself a rental car again! I'll keep everyone updated on this seem to never ending saga.......

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
You have a cracked piston or cylinder. The GM rep's recommendation to do a compression test would have shown this. Go talk to the General Manager at the dealership. At this point I would most likely be talking to GM about just replacing the vehicle given that their authorized service departments are unable to fix the car.

161 - 180 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.