Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,017 Posts
Not in our Cruze, but I did many times back at school (we had a car club, and around 1-2 autocrosses per term) with my Cobalt. Ironically, I never have autocrossed it after getting the 18s and the Direzza ZIIs - which I bought entirely to complete my suspension setup. The suspension was great - but when you're rolling the sidewalls on a 195/60R15 all-season instead of not fighting that at all, it definitely didn't help.

I'm hoping my brother, now that he has his '01 Mustang GT, will want to take it to AutoX (he goes to the same college I did), so I have a reason to go up to one and finally rip around in the Cobalt, at AutoX, with the sticky tires. We always AutoX'd up at Auto City speedway in Clio, and it being an 1/8th mile Oval, it was a high speed course.

I'd recommend looking into the Whiteline rear sway bar for your car - you'd be amazed at just how much a rear swaybar will transform a FWD car. You can see the rear sway bar under the back end of my Cobalt - and it is absolutely massive (Powell "Hardcore" bar - 1.25" in diameter).

·
Registered
2016 Cruze Limited LT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not in our Cruze, but I did many times back at school (we had a car club, and around 1-2 autocrosses per term) with my Cobalt. Ironically, I never have autocrossed it after getting the 18s and the Direzza ZIIs - which I bought entirely to complete my suspension setup. The suspension was great - but when you're rolling the sidewalls on a 195/60R15 all-season instead of not fighting that at all, it definitely didn't help.

I'm hoping my brother, now that he has his '01 Mustang GT, will want to take it to AutoX (he goes to the same college I did), so I have a reason to go up to one and finally rip around in the Cobalt, at AutoX, with the sticky tires. We always AutoX'd up at Auto City speedway in Clio, and it being an 1/8th mile Oval, it was a high speed course.

I'd recommend looking into the Whiteline rear sway bar for your car - you'd be amazed at just how much a rear swaybar will transform a FWD car. You can see the rear sway bar under the back end of my Cobalt - and it is absolutely massive (Powell "Hardcore" bar - 1.25" in diameter).
That sounds awesome! I'm actually planning g on getting the rear sway as my next purchase, all I've done so far is replace the front sway bar end links.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Yep - the introduction of oversteer really makes the car a lot more happy to rotate in a turn - made all the more better if you have some real sticky tires, especially up front.

·
Registered
2016 Cruze Limited LT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yep - the introduction of oversteer really makes the car a lot more happy to rotate in a turn - made all the more better if you have some real sticky tires, especially up front.
Yeah I'm excited, today I have noticed a lot of understeer in the rear so hoping the rear sway will help. Also doesn't help I'm running oem all seasons right now ha

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
This looks like tons of fun! Is this MIS here in Michigan? (Idk what MIS stands for btw)
Michigan International Speedway.

It's in Brooklyn, MI, outside of Jackson.

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Michigan International Speedway.

It's in Brooklyn, MI, outside of Jackson.
And home of the BEAUTIFUL Irish Hills!

Reactions: MP81

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Sup Jon. Why didn't we give the Cruzen a run around this?!
Let me see if this is correct . We have Michigan , Washington , Brooklyn outside of Jackson .. is this correct j ?

Front wheel drive vehicles are NOT very good at this type of event ...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Let me see if this is correct . We have Michigan , Washington , Brooklyn outside of Jackson .. is this correct j ?

That has NEVER stopped me before. Ye olde S70 put the spanking on a few 4.6 Moostangs on a track day. Fun times were had.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Sup Jon. Why didn't we give the Cruzen a run around this?!
Sup -J. I'd have to be a lot more special than I am to get us out there.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's not necessarily true. The courses in AutoX tend to be small and narrow. Smaller, narrow, lighter cars do better. Most FWD cars are smaller, narrower, and lighter than the average RWD car. I did a ton of Autocrossing in college; my room mate ran a Baretta GTZ and continuously surprised everyone at how well he did.

Lift-throttle oversteer is really beneficial at AutoX. You can make a FWD do this fairly easily. I know a guy that put a space saver spare on the back of his SE-R and won everything that day :th_SmlyROFL::th_SmlyROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
That's not necessarily true. The courses in AutoX tend to be small and narrow. Smaller, narrow, lighter cars do better. Most FWD cars are smaller, narrower, and lighter than the average RWD car. I did a ton of Autocrossing in college; my room mate ran a Baretta GTZ and continuously surprised everyone at how well he did.

Lift-throttle oversteer is really beneficial at AutoX. You can make a FWD do this fairly easily. I know a guy that put a space saver spare on the back of his SE-R and won everything that day :th_SmlyROFL::th_SmlyROFL:
This - my Cobalt loves a good AutoX.

Reactions: froyofanatic

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts

MIS is a road course . Either your confused or you just like to argue .

Auto - X - is classification specific . Have you joined the SCCA ?

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts

MIS is 2.0 mile oval.

Also, AutoX does not require classes - not every event is an official SCCA event. We did plenty up at school that were ran by us.

·
Registered
180 Posts

The video clearly shows what most would call an autocross cut out of the MIS road course with cones. Did you watch the video?

I have a comp license with SCCA and NASA, I've been racing W2W mostly with NASA for 10 years now. I spent most of my college years autocrossing with the Delta Region SCCA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.