Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I was going to shoot for a 900 or 1,000 mile tank by taking advantage of the nearly 5,000 ft elevation drop from Denver to Chicago. Unfortunately I had a 20-30 MPH headwind until I hit Nebraska. In the past at 65 MPH I have pulled into our Ft Morgan office in excess of 60 MPG. Today even sitting one second behind a semi running 60 MPH I passed Ft Morgan at 53.5 MPG. Needless to say I gave up and accelerated to the posted 75 once the wind calmed down enough that it was safe to do so. Until that point anything above 60 combined with the rough road surface was throwing my car around.

Just a side thought - given the choice of I-70 in Kansas or I-80 in Nebraska, take I-80. It's a far more interesting drive.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
True that Nebraska is nice and flat .

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I don't know if you can get a more boring drive, either one of those roads I would be going 75mph+ just to get it over with quicker.

My cruze does get blown around in the wind, but nothing like my much lighter cavalier. That car would get blow out of the lane you were driving in if you were not prepared for a gust. I also found driving thousands on miles in a headwind on a single day that going faster and having more power down your car cut through the wind better. At 55-70mph I was getting blown around, at 75-85mph I hardly noticed the wind any longer.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
I don't know if you can get a more boring drive, either one of those roads I would be going 75mph+ just to get it over with quicker.

My cruze does get blown around in the wind, but nothing like my much lighter cavalier. That car would get blow out of the lane you were driving in if you were not prepared for a gust. I also found driving thousands on miles in a headwind on a single day that going faster and having more power down your car cut through the wind better. At 55-70mph I was getting blown around, at 75-85mph I hardly noticed the wind any longer.
Try a Chevy Tracker. Oh my god those things are scary on the Interstate.

The 4 cylinders struggle to do 65 without being in 3rd gear at 4500 RPM.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Yea wind does suck. I was trying for 60 mpg on a trip to Ottawa but the wind totally ruined it. I ended up only averaging about 47.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I'm from Nebraska and Iowa, endless cornfields are boring but you sure do learn a lot about yourself in the hours of thinking during that time. **** you may even become best friends with yourself :eek:ccasion14:

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Try a Chevy Tracker. Oh my god those things are scary on the Interstate.

The 4 cylinders struggle to do 65 without being in 3rd gear at 4500 RPM.
I must say, the Jeep was very peppy feeling this morning with air in the tires. It got up to 70 with no trouble, and didn't squirm around like before!

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I stopped really pushing for fuel economy on trips when I realized this... the wind and elevation is going to cause a huge difference no matter what speed. I just go 70 mph and call it a day.. (75-80 if I need to pass a string of slowpokes).

Living between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, I seldom drive without a wind approaching my hometown.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
My last tank started out great but strong wind and heavy rain plus a regen killed my shot at 900 miles.. however , this tank I topped up good ( for me ) and looking forward to beating my best tank , about 805 miles.. Hoping to get close to 900.. I'd like to join the 900 club :)

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
My last tank started out great but strong wind and heavy rain plus a regen killed my shot at 900 miles.. however , this tank I topped up good ( for me ) and looking forward to beating my best tank , about 805 miles.. Hoping to get close to 900.. I'd like to join the 900 club :)
Daaaang...I'm lucky to see 600 :S mix of interstate and city driving but everyone drives like a friggin grandma: too slow and lots of brake pedals

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts
I am living in the wrong part of the country to get MPG like you guys. Oh Ky + Indiana are all hills if not all traffic and driving < 75 around here and you get run over. Do you guys do this driving for work or for fun! At best I only have Saturday to drive like that!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I am living in the wrong part of the country to get MPG like you guys. Oh Ky + Indiana are all hills if not all traffic and driving < 75 around here and you get run over. Do you guys do this driving for work or for fun! At best I only have Saturday to drive like that!
I here that. I live in southern Kentucky and there isn't a flat road to be found. I drive I-75 to Lexington everyday and can't seem to get my mileage up where some of you all are getting it.

-Brad

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Almost 130 miles round trip every day for me.. I try to use my Altima on weekends.. I can set the cruise at 62 mph ( speed limit is 62 ) and not get run over on the highway.. it's a fairly flat drive but the hills usually cancel themselves out

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw on the news in Colorado there were a few semis blown over. Wicked winds blow big trucks over in eastern Colorado | KDVR.com - Denver, Colorado News, Weather, Sports and more
That is what we would call the 10 alarm Winnebago alert!!!! We have some wind but nothing like that!!!!I was afraid Ober you were going to say your Cruze got thrown around. Good thing it was only MPG related.
We passed on that had flipped on I-76. It looks like not only did it flip but it also caught fire. I just hope the driver was ok.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's my numbers from Denver to Youngstown.

1,412 miles
~31 gallons
45.2 MPG
5.2 L/100KM

Remember, I dropped nearly 5,000 feet. Considering the headwinds and high speeds I ended up driving at this isn't too bad. Not great, but not too bad.

Edit: I realized after shutting my laptop down last night that the gallons used could not be accurate. When I left Denver my lifetime average was 42.6 MPG and when I filled up after arriving in Lordstown it was back up to 42.8 MPG. The math simply didn't add up. Numbers adjusted to what I believe is more accurate now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts