Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been slowly hooking up my system using XR's SQ thread as a template. Over the weekend I hooked up the Vifa tweeters and I get the high frequency whine. I searched the forums but most of them seem to be kinda open ended, but the most common suspect seems to be the PAC unit. I am thinking of just biting the bullet and ripping the PAC out to replace it with a better quality line level converter. Before I do that, I wanted to ask if anybody has found the root of the problem being something else.

I used the knukonceptz 4 awg amp wiring kit (with the RCA cables) and I realized that routing the RCA's with the power leads together down the drivers side was probably a bad decision. :(

Is it possible that this is where the noise is coming from? I will probably test it plugging in a different source directly into the MiniDSP to see if the noise goes away, but wondering if anybody has NOT found the PAC at fault with this issue. I would really hate it if I have to reroute the RCA cables.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your rcas are next to your power thats probably the issue. If that doesnt work check your grounds. But yeah I ran rca next to power on my old truck and it had the high pitched noise. Moved the wiring and it went away. On the cruze I did the amp in the trunk so they are separate, no noise at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your rcas are next to your power thats probably the issue. If that doesnt work check your grounds. But yeah I ran rca next to power on my old truck and it had the high pitched noise. Moved the wiring and it went away. On the cruze I did the amp in the trunk so they are separate, no noise at all.
My amp is in the trunk also. Just to clarify...I ran the 2 RCA pairs from the MiniDSP (which is located in the dash) to the trunk which is routed under the carpet along the drivers side. This is also where the 4 gage power wire is routed.

Are you saying that you routed your RCA's on the opposite side of the vehicle?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
That would be advisable .

·
Registered
270 Posts
If youre running rca all the way to your trunk then yeah the further apart the better. I have my line converter in the trunk so there is no way for them to cross. I think if they cross at one point or get close its ok, but running them parallel will cause issues.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Another thing to think about, I dunno how many watts your amp is, but im running 1000 watt amp powering two 12s on 8 gauge I think, 4 gauge is pretty thick unless youre thumping your neighbors to death with a 2500 watt system lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is the whine all the time? Does the pitch change with the rpm of the engine?
Yes it changes with the engine RPM. It is definitely alternator noise.

As much as I am dreading it... I think I am going to move the rca cable this weekend.

Another thing to think about, I dunno how many watts your amp is, but im running 1000 watt amp powering two 12s on 8 gauge I think, 4 gauge is pretty thick unless youre thumping your neighbors to death with a 2500 watt system lol
It's about 500 watts rms and it probably is overkill, but I was unsure what my wants would be in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts