Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hit 100k and my car says the timing belt needs to be changed every time I start it which is annoying.. I keep reading the water pump also needs to be changed but chevy just replaced it at 80k with the thermostat, do I still have to pay for one? Also how much am I looking at for a timing belt to be put in?

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Talk to your dealership. I highly doubt you need a new water pump. Now it may be that the water pump needs to be pulled off to change the timing belt - I don't know.

Also, post a picture of your odometer for us.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Talk to your dealership. I highly doubt you need a new water pump. Now it may be that the water pump needs to be pulled off to change the timing belt - I don't know.

Also, post a picture of your odometer for us.
Just called chevy and they said $550 for it to be changed, I think it's time I buy that Pontiac G8 GT I've wanted with 60k miles.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
I wondered about the cost of changing the timing belt. The part's probably less than $100 but the labor involved is rather extensive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wondered about the cost of changing the timing belt. The part's probably less than $100 but the labor involved is rather extensive.
Chevy said $300 for the parts and $250 for the labor which the service rep said "the labor isn't too hard" I called another auto place and they said $420

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,548 Posts
Chevy said $300 for the parts and $250 for the labor which the service rep said "the labor isn't too hard" I called another auto place and they said $420
Ask the 2nd place if they use OEM parts. This is one thing you DO NOT want to skimp out on parts quality. I've heard far too many stories of people trying to buy a cheaper idler pulley or tensioner or something of the sort, it breaking, the belt coming off, and they're stuck with $3000+ of engine damage.

·
Registered
481 Posts
We're a large company that isn't a dealership so we require all other maintenance to be current too before we can warranty a timing belt. So we'll usually do plugs, flush, fuel system cleaning, etc at the same time. Unless they have receipts. But like you said. It can be up to $11k or better for an engine if its not right.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Gates timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, idler) is $114.99 at RockAuto

Same part number, same photograph, same everything for the ACDelco...it's about $20 more.

I used a Gates kit on my PT-GT. everything was a perfect fit. (and trust me, on a PT you do not want to do that again any time soon)

100,000 miles, it's time. Aveo is a smaller version of the same engine and they often don't make it to 100,0000

·
Registered
379 Posts
Belts on everything since the 1980s until the new Drive-E 4 cylinders. As that engine was designed with Ford, it's finally a chain.

Saab used chains. Idk why Volvo didn't.
Saab used a Triumph design for the B and H engines. They made the Triumph design reliable but the chain drive was decided for them in Coventry. I think Volvo designed their Redblock engines in house. Probably an engineering cost consideration.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts