Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chevy Cruze 1.8 no turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall , back for help with a problem. So the other day my outlet heater hose just decided to burst. I got someone to fix the hose for me but it was with a different hose than the one that was originally on the car . Some how he made it work . He ended up putting the Regular Green coolant in the car instead of the Dex-Cool orangish pink coolant because it wasnt any coolant left in the car seeing as though the hose exploded . He got all the air out of the system and we drove it around to test it, however the engine temp was fluctuating way colder than normal operating temp. I replaced the thermostat in January of this year but unsure of if the coolant temp sensors has been changed. Today while driving for about 20 mins i noticed that the A/C off due to high engine temp message popped up and the temperature gauge stopped working . Also the check engine light popped up . I live in Guam and most auto places here are closed on Sunday so i couldnt take it so see what code was being thrown. . Could the issue be because he put the wrong coolant in my car or is it possible that a 2 1/2 month old Thermostat has gone bad . Im lost here and need all the help i can get . Thanks in Advance!!

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
838 Posts
He ended up putting the Regular Green coolant in the car
This was a bad choice. You will need to flush out the system as soon as you can.
Nothing should ever be put in a GM cooling system other than Dexcool, DI water, or RO water.

A/C off due to high engine temp message popped up
The engine coolant sensor is likely the cause. Check the connector and wiring first, replace the sensor next.

Could the issue be because he put the wrong coolant in my car
No, the water in the coolant cools the car.

is it possible that a 2 1/2 month old Thermostat has gone bad
Anything is possible, but in your case I doubt this is the issue.

because it wasnt any coolant left in the car
This might have been a fatal mistake. About the only thing worse you could do to a car is drive it into the ocean.
It is equally likely you blew the head gasket, if so the engine is toast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
By "he got all the air out of the system," you mean he burped the radiator, too? If not, the engine would overheat to the point the "turn off a/c" warning came on, while the gauge had been showing cooler than normal. I've made this mistake myself.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Hey yall , back for help with a problem. So the other day my outlet heater hose just decided to burst. I got someone to fix the hose for me but it was with a different hose than the one that was originally on the car . Some how he made it work . He ended up putting the Regular Green coolant in the car instead of the Dex-Cool orangish pink coolant because it wasnt any coolant left in the car seeing as though the hose exploded . He got all the air out of the system and we drove it around to test it, however the engine temp was fluctuating way colder than normal operating temp. I replaced the thermostat in January of this year but unsure of if the coolant temp sensors has been changed. Today while driving for about 20 mins i noticed that the A/C off due to high engine temp message popped up and the temperature gauge stopped working . Also the check engine light popped up . I live in Guam and most auto places here are closed on Sunday so i couldnt take it so see what code was being thrown. . Could the issue be because he put the wrong coolant in my car or is it possible that a 2 1/2 month old Thermostat has gone bad . Im lost here and need all the help i can get . Thanks in Advance!!
Recommend flush coolant. Operating cooler than normal is either air in system, bad ECT, bad thermostat or some combination of these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was a bad choice. You will need to flush out the system as soon as you can.
Nothing should ever be put in a GM cooling system other than Dexcool, DI water, or RO water.

The engine coolant sensor is likely the cause. Check the connector and wiring first, replace the sensor next.

No, the water in the coolant cools the car.

Anything is possible, but in your case I doubt this is the issue.

This might have been a fatal mistake. About the only thing worse you could do to a car is drive it into the ocean.
It is equally likely you blew the head gasket, if so the engine is toast.
I’m at the shop now getting a flush , drain and refill … car was running fine before the hose blew . Just a little history about the car , the head gasket blew October 2021 , got the motor replaced.. haven’t had any issues with it since . I’ve checked to make sure that the oil wasn’t milky , and all the symptoms of a blown head . I hope the issue was because he didn’t bleed the system correctly ..thermostat was properly opening and closing prior to the blow of the hose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the update, I hope it is air in the system too. :cautious:
YOU ARE A GENIUS.. it was air in the system . I haven’t had any issues with it since the coolant flush.I do smell coolant though , but no leaks. I know usually when large amounts of coolant get in the engine it does take a while for it to go away

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,487 Posts
YOU ARE A GENIUS.. it was air in the system . I haven’t had any issues with it since the coolant flush.I do smell coolant though , but no leaks. I know usually when large amounts of coolant get in the engine it does take a while for it to go away
Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary

FIX: Coolant Odors/Coolant Loss From Reservoir

Here is a bunch of others that have decent info as well:

#PI0762: Coolant Leak at Water Pump - (Jul 11, 2012)
LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK - N140417.

In the following thread, skip to post #7, then to read from #21 on.
Water Outlet Replacement
Link to post #7 - Powertrain Coverage
Link to post #21 - does anyone know what the torque specs are for water outlet bolts

#PI0721: Coolant Leak at Thermostat Housing to Cylinder Head - (Apr 17, 2012)
#PI0762D: Coolant Leak at Water Pump - (Aug 1, 2013)

I only did a cursory look at the following thread, but there at least some good tidbits here.
LOW ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL WITHOUT AN EXTERNAL LEAK - N140417

·
Registered
2013 LT A14NET
42 Posts
Well outside of the US GMCorp car brands can use a coolant (or clone) of the WWGroup G12+(Plus) coolant.
Availability, Price, Concentration, make it a desirable alternative.
The fact you can buy it pure (100%) for less than 20 bucks a gallon (17€ / 5L), delivered to your door, and the quality of German chemistry products.. (lets just pretend the factory is down the road where the engine was made).
The absolute G12+ concentration allows for a real 50/50, Anti-freeze / drinking water (lowest sediment, pH6), difficult to attain with the engine keeping well over a quart of flushing water in its bellows during coolant replacement.
Done it years ago due to a 'DeathCool' phantom leak from a GM factory defective radiator and never looked back.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
838 Posts
While I believe every word of your post, consider this. When posting on the internet you HAVE to consider the lowest common denominator. Being wishy washy and throwing out if, then, why, what's doesn't help anyone. Especially considering the common response that most people have to getting really good directions is them completely ignoring the recommendations.

Anyway, back to coolant. No doubt there many coolants as good as Dexcool, and sure some are probably better. And yes, many coolant manufacturers say you can use tap/drinking water (including GM). I guarantee NONE of them prefer it. Caterpillar has there own coolant, it might be the best coolant ever made. And you can use tap water, but in doing so you have diminished it from day one. Just as any coolant would be. Mixing any coolant with, even really good, tap water is just a bad practice.

Here is another truth bomb. Most of my family have owned GM vehicles almost exclusively for about 50 years. And I remember like it was yesterday when in 1996 GM went to "Deathcool", and do you know how many cooling problems we have had related to Dexcool ?!? NONE o_O

·
Registered
2013 LT A14NET
42 Posts
Disambiguation from my previous post:
Well, outside the USA GM car brands (Opel, Saab, Vauxhall, Daewoo, Holden) can use a WW coolant G12+(Plus) coolant (or a cheaper but still high quality German clone) by technical advise of the TECDOC platform (I was trying to buy Dexcool which they also sell).

So, for the rest of the world, Availability, Price, AF Concentration, make it an affordable quality alternative. Pure G12+ (0% water) costs 17€/5L in EU, delivered to your door, bearing the hallmark quality of German chemistry products, (BASF is 'down the road' where my A14NET GOETZE engine was made in Austria).

The pure G12+ concentration allows for a real 50/50, Anti-freeze / bottled drinking water 25mg dry sediment / Liter,(sorry, my bad) pH6 acidity, impossible to attain with a ready to use mix when flushing the A14NET eng, as near 2 qt of said water (used to flush) is always kept inside.

Done it 2 years ago due to a 'DeathCool' phantom leak from a GM factory defective radiator. Coolant visual decay and CS corrosion are non-existent, and even small leaks (around the 'water' outlet) are visibly plugged. So I know I made a good call as money is mostly the reason ppl skip on maintenance and US goods in Europe are very expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts