Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, sorry if this is in the wrong section.
My name is Cesar, I live in Mexico, and I've been in love with the Cruze since it came out here, now I have the opportunity to buy a car, and my first thought was a Cruze.
I love the Cruze looks, people tell me to get a Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or a Ford Focus, but with the Focus Transmission issues I've read about the Focus, I'll stay away from it.
I don't need a car that is fast, I need a spacious car since I am a tall person(6"3) and I need it for when my wife and I have kids, fuel efficient, in our family we take good care of cars, we still have a 1991 Voyager that we had since I was kid, had just little issues in all those years.
I've read about issues with the Cruze, but I think we cannot say it's a build issue, maybe the person didn't know how to maintain the car.

So, my question is, from your experience with the Cruze, what can you tell me to buy or not the Cruze?, is there any year or model I should stay away from? (I can afford a used Cruze until 2014 model)
I have an Expedition for long distance traveling vehicle, a Dodge Journey for every day, but I really want a city car with fuel economy.

So, what you guys think?, can you help me decide?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You should test drive each car in the class vigorously. It sounds like you don't need to buy ASAP which is perfect for you.

Honda and Toyota are tried and true, in my opinion, and if I had to be more careful with my money I probably would have gotten one of those. However, I was in a good position financially and drawn to the styling of the Cruze so I decided to take a chance with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
I will take a "stab" at this. For fuel efficiency you are right on target. I am not sure of the traffic patterns in Mexico. Very congested or lots of highway? The only thing that may be a problem is the back seat space for Children. The front seat is roomy enough for you and your wife but with the driver seat for you as tall as you are, it really will not leave much leg room for kids "esp growing kids". I am 6 1 and my son is 5'8" and he will always sit behind mom because she can move her seat forward. If I have someone behind me I will typically move my seat forward a little. I am not sure what the leg room is like for the rear of the other cars you mentioned either. So when you test drive a Cruze, you may want to take your family with you and see how the family fits in the car also.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Fuel efficiency is what will convince you. Stay away from 2011's as their transmission shifts a little rougher than other years. And for sure get the 1.4t!

As far as being spacious I am 6ft tall and It was enough for me and my wife. However get the leather seats because the hard cloth seats was horrible for road trips.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've had my Cruze for less than a month and I like it. Yes, get the 1.4T. And you might want to go for at least 2013 as it sounds like GM had a number of bugs worked out by then.

However, for a growing family, I suspect a Malibu would be a better choice unless you plan to trade in the Cruze by the time they hit pre-teen size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take a "stab" at this. For fuel efficiency you are right on target. I am not sure of the traffic patterns in Mexico. Very congested or lots of highway? The only thing that may be a problem is the back seat space for Children. The front seat is roomy enough for you and your wife but with the driver seat for you as tall as you are, it really will not leave much leg room for kids "esp growing kids". I am 6 1 and my son is 5'8" and he will always sit behind mom because she can move her seat forward. If I have someone behind me I will typically move my seat forward a little. I am not sure what the leg room is like for the rear of the other cars you mentioned either. So when you test drive a Cruze, you may want to take your family with you and see how the family fits in the car also.
Where I live there's no Highways inside the city and not congested as bigger cities.
As for the back seat, I think out of the cars people have told to me to get, like the Corolla and Civic, they are pretty close, a bigger than avarage person cannot sit behind me while I sit in the driving seat on the Cruze, but I dont know many people that are tall enough to not fit in the back, only my dad.
It's been hard to decide, but there are not many cars that are big enough in the back seat for someone to seat very confortable there.
And the Cruze is the only car that keeps my attention, I start looking for cars and always end looking at a Cruze, specially when I think on mine being white with black rims, oh well, I may be able to sacrifice the space for looks, the brown leather of the ltz blows my mind, the media controls in the steering wheel, the screen in the dash, I like all those gadgets and the price of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel efficiency is what will convince you. Stay away from 2011's as their transmission shifts a little rougher than other years. And for sure get the 1.4t!

As far as being spacious I am 6ft tall and It was enough for me and my wife. However get the leather seats because the hard cloth seats was horrible for road trips.
Good to know about that, I've eyeing a 2013 and a 2012 in a dealership near me, 2013 LTZ and 2012 2LT, there are not many Cruze here.

I am not planning to do any road trips with it, will be only a city car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had my Cruze for less than a month and I like it. Yes, get the 1.4T. And you might want to go for at least 2013 as it sounds like GM had a number of bugs worked out by then.

However, for a growing family, I suspect a Malibu would be a better choice unless you plan to trade in the Cruze by the time they hit pre-teen size.
Oh nice, thanks for the info.
Yeahm I dont pretend to have the car for 20 years, maybe I'll keep it but just for memories and because I love Cruze style, I plan to buy other car in like 2020-2025.
I've consider Malibu but I am hesitant, always look back to Cruze, there's something about the Malibu looks I dont like, I have an issue with the Cruze, but I am wondering if the Cruze can last at least 5 years and engine wont brake after 3 years.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I am wondering if the Cruze can last at least 5 years and engine wont brake after 3 years.
I hold on to cars 10+ years, so I sure hope it lasts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hold on to cars 10+ years, so I sure hope it lasts.
Me too, 10 years would me awesome, just wondering if anyone here had any serious mechanical issues with the car and maybe if its expensive to fix, if its expensive in the US and twice as expensive here in Mexico.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, as the head member of a very large family,in-laws and all that, don't give advice as to what kind of vehicle they want to buy. This way, if they run into problems, won't come back to me as the cause. In particular buying a new vehicle without any history.

Can read horror stories here with the Cruze, but others didn't have any problems. But apparently, mostly with the dealer they purchased their vehicle from. Key factor in my own purchase was agreeing with my wife, when we had problems, her solution was to buy the parts and repair it myself. Admittedly, would have been a much faster and easier solution. But a bit too hard headed to go this route.

But we went car shopping together and mutually agreed to our purchase. Key objective is keeping peace in the family. I have to duck my head when getting into or out of our Cruze, but once in it, I am okay.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Me too, 10 years would me awesome, just wondering if anyone here had any serious mechanical issues with the car and maybe if its expensive to fix, if its expensive in the US and twice as expensive here in Mexico.
All I can say about your concerns about reliability, at least on this forum no one has reported any major mechanical breakdowns. There have been some "what ifs" like the clutch but then that is a what if. Not to say that it is not possible but we have not heard of any major mechanical problems. Just normal maintenance. As someone previously stated, 2011 being the first year was where most the problems were discovered and now corrected. If you do a search on Cruze reliability, you will get a lot of hits Here is one in particular I located 2015 Chevrolet Cruze Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars. If my 2011 Cruze had not been in a major accident, I would most likely still have it. But I replaced it with a 2012 Cruze and even considered upgrading to a '14 or '15 I just like the car! and I do not think you can go wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I now have 69,000 miles on mine and still like it but I just came back from Florida where I rented a Corolla for a week and I was pretty impressed with the interior room (especially in the rear) as well as the somewhat "floaty" ride (which to some is a negative). Just under 200 miles of all city driving and still averaged 31.2 mpg.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm 6'4" and fit in my Cruze just fine. As for the cloth seats being hard, they're not big plushy 1980s Cadillac seats but I haven't had trouble with back pain or anything and have taken several 5+ hour road trips. On the reliability note, everyone makes some good cars and some bad cars. Honda/Toyota have the reputation for quality, but they do seem to have stumbled a bit in recent years. The Cruze has a few known problems, the big one probably being water pumps on the 1.4 Turbo, so it'd be worth seeing if GM of Mexico has extended the warranty on water pumps to the 10 years/150k miles like they have in the U.S. Honestly, based on my own experience (Owned one since February of 2013, put almost 30k miles on it and have been trouble free other than 2 water pumps and some damage caused by hitting a pothole), and the experience of most people here that I've read about I'd say: If you like the car, buy one. They don't seem to be substantially less reliable than any other car in the price range.

·
10,712 Posts
As for kids, only rear facing seats are a super issue. Had 2 car seats back there and it was a tight fit. even tighter if you decide to put them side passenger and center passenger to leave the 40% fold down seat behind the driver free to fold down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts