Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's meant to work that way. The battery voltage seemed a little low on the DIC most of the time but I noticed how the A/C fan speeds up as I took my foot off the gas and coasted. Then I turned on the battery voltage and watched - it seemed to like it at around 13 volts, maybe a little less under power. Then when I took my foot off the gas while coasting down a hill the voltage went up to 14.7. Sort of like a very small scale hybrid car.

I'm not complaining but it works differently than I'm used to on my other cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've noticed mine does the same. Around 12.7V during load, up to 14.4 while coasting or braking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Deceleration voltage change is due to RVC during DFCO.

I had been thinking that this might just be a side effect of the deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) system since the car wouldn't need to be firing the cylinders while fuel wasn't being supplied to the engine but then I found this article on the Cruze's Regulated Voltage Control (RVC).

Chevy Cruze regulates voltage to boost fuel economy — Autoblog Green

This article says that the alternator normally provides reduced voltage during normal driving to reduce load on the engine and it implies that the alternator engages a bit more than usual when you are decelerating and no fuel is being supplied to the engine (due to DFCO). The alternator reclaims some kinetic energy to keep the car's electrical systems running and charge the battery. Kind of cool I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts