Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok they are almost 100% identical. They are both 2014 with LT trim. They both have around 9K miles. The quieter one also has the Pioneer sound system and sunroof. Otherwise, they are identical.

I usually drive the one with the Pioneer/sunroof and my daughter drives the other one. A few days ago she drove my Cruze and mentioned to me that mine was quieter than hers. Of course I dismissed her. “How could that be possible?” I said.

Last night I drove her Cruze and sure enough, it’s definitely louder during acceleration. It sounds like maybe an exhaust noise, but it feels like it’s coming from the engine. Could having a sunroof make the car quieter?

If I only owned one Cruze I would never have noticed it. I want to take it to the dealer but I’m afraid I’ll be dismissed. Any thoughts on what to look for, or an explanation?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It sounds like maybe an exhaust noise, but it feels like it’s coming from the engine.
You might be right on both counts. It could be an exhaust leak. The first symptom is the sound.

Could having a sunroof make the car quieter?

Try both cars again with the windows down.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Even on Cadillacs sunroof cars are louder inside.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm wondering if this is the common "drone/growl" noise that a bunch of other people have had.

There is a thread on here somewhere that talks about the pre-2015 Cruze's having the fuel lines too close to the lower part of the firewall, and when you accelerate, they move against it and make a noticeably louder tone that changes with the amount of acceleration.
This was corrected in 2015 since they added a plastic clip on the firewall that holds the fuel lines in place, but others have also reported that it can be caused by the A/C line being against the firewall.

In my opinion, it sounds like what you have described, and checking the fuel lines near the lower part of the firewall and the A/C lines at the upper part won't take longer than 5 minutes.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This forum is awesome. You guys nailed it. I think I have the common "drone/growl" mentioned above. This thread describes my problem very well. Today I studied it a bit more and it does occur between 1800 and 2300 RPM. It's not very pronounced, but you feel it and hear it more most when in the front passenger seat (at your feet).

I popped the hood and looked at the fuel and A/C lines and they didn't appear to be touching the firewall. However, most folks (who were able to get it addressed) reported that the rattling was happening as the lines make a turn to go under the car. I couldn't see that area without a lift.

Anyway, I'll be making an appointment to the dealer next week. Hopefully if I'm armed with a printout of the thread, I won't be dismissed. I will report back next week.

Finally, I wonder if this could eventually be a safety recall. What happens over time to a fuel line that vibrates against some other metal part?

Thanks again to those that responded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts