Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I spoke to soon about my Cruze - another issue!

3193 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  joshuab
I have a issue it seems w/ my Cruze, today I was rolling down the road & then I smell this awful smell like something is dead under my car mixed like something was burning. After inspecting the coolant its full, checked the oil its full, checked the brake fluid its full. Then I turn my wheel all the way to the left & got a couple pictures of some type of fluid, my initial thought was axle grease. However its really wet not really greasy at all really. Please see attached images.

Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Pipe
Auto part
Auto part Engine
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
In my experience, (which may not apply to a newer car like the Cruze), is the CV lubricant is a grease, not a oil. If the CV boot failed, you'd be seeing bits of grease flung about. That looks more liquidy. And in order to get the smell, it's got to hit the exhaust system - or at least something hot. So, I'm thinking this is either a red herring, or it's coming from somewhere else.

It really doesn't take much, so the fact your coolant and oil levels appear to be fine doesn't mean anything.

Just for fun, check out the rest of the exhaust system. This might be nothing more than a stray plastic shopping bag that got caught on your exhaust.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
So you are saying even tho my oil level seems fine that I could still be leaking oil but spraying only when under pressure? Possible?
I'm not sure about oil, but as a veteran of many a coolant leak, they can be really hard to find. It has to be at just the right temperature and pressure before they go. You'd be surprised how big a mess a few thimble full of oil can make. And you'd never see that on the dip stick.

But please remind me, has this car had transmission work done? My fear would be that this is transmission oil and you've got no dipstick for that.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
I would speak w/ the service manager prior too taking it in on a appointment & see if this is something that could be done on there part.
Yes. If it comes to that, I'd check to see if the work they did might have had something to do with it. If you do find it's transmission oil, then I'd change the oil since it's hard to check it's level.

But since you're not able to duplicate it, I'm not sure what to suggest. You might try a uphill run to put the drive train under stress.

· Premium Member
7,545 Posts
however it didn't seem sticky so I just took my water hose & some paper towels & it cleaned up quite well & there didn't seem to be any 'staining' left behind so that was a plus far as being able to eye for any further leaks.
Which suggests it's recent stuff. Worrying. But not much else you can do at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.