Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently added more coolant to my car ( it needed it for anyone who saw it in Lordstown) and i added a SRI from K&N.

After all this i noticed a significant change in my MPG's. it has gone up significantly! where i normally see 41mpg i am now seeing 45+ mpg on highway. Just yesterday with another person in the car, packed bags, with AC running i was doing about 49mpg. This car is great!

( btw i meant this post as a joke, i still cant believe my MPG's are so good now. )

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
What is the reality when you fill up? The computer is just a calculation based on current driving conditions. I have had mine up to 99 mpg after filling up going downhill then reality sets in and I am back down in the 30s. If anything I would say it is the K&N letting the car breath a little more.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Outside airTemperature ! Tell me why ?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have done the calculation and its noramlyl off by 2-3 mpgs, depending on where i am driving. My computer has been good about being accurate. ( when it can). but yes you are right its not getting what it says, but it used to say a hellva lot lower then it does now. ( still shocked)

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
where i normally see 41mpg i am now seeing 45+ mpg on highway. Just yesterday with another person in the car, packed bags, with AC running i was doing about 49mpg. This car is great!
Some of the increase is due to higher ambient air temps. If I recall the temps travelling to and from Lordstown were high 50s low to mid 60s. Last few days were in the low to mid 80s. MPGs would definitely go up - car is more efficient in the warmer temps.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know warmer = better effeceinty but again i have had this car for 2 summer seasons now ( this being the 3rd) and i have never seen the car running these numbers.

Currently temps are around 65-90 degrees dependent on day and rain.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i do agree higher temps really help fuel economy but they make the car a bit more sluggish imo. but i am definately alright with that because its no race car but I also have seen almost 10 more mpg than normal my last tank. Summer blend fuel may have been added to tanks a few weeks ago in NY so if your on your first full tank of summer blend I think that could affect your MPG's in a good way. I also think that the only way the k&n SRI would positivley effect MPG's would be pulling warmer under hood temps than the stock maze of air ducts. And yes the K&N does pull warmer air i did some testing with mine one day when i was bored, Not sure about colder weather though. But it sure does sound cool!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am 100% sure it does. my res delete pulled in +5 degree air i can only imagine this... and the summer blend would propbaly be a good reason, i am on my 3 fill up... ( noramlly do not go below 1/2 if i can avoid it ) not becuase i like to consume alot, i do a fiar bit of driving late at night and would preffer not to worry about it ... driving a truck is hard enough in nyc

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWIW, my LT with no mods of any sort has always read about 2 - 3 MPG higher than the actual calculation that I do after a fillup. That's using the average MPG setting, not the instantaneous. I reset it at each fillup so that it calculates MPG on that tankfull only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts